corroding alloys - warranty issue

EDDIEEDMO

Hi to you all.I am a new member and found the site looking for other people with corroding alloys who have / are having trouble getting them sorted under warranty. All my alloys have bubbling on the spokes but Nissan say they will not replace or refurbish because there is some scuffing on the edges.They agree bubbling has occured but won't even give me a copy of the report.

Any experiences help quidance will be much appreciated.

Wonderful car , had one or two problems sorted under warranty but now Nissan are not interested at all.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello and welcome :yahoo:

:worthless:

I'm sure someone on here will have experienced this, have you tried a few different dealers. I had similar issue with my old Honda CTR...all 4 replaced no problem.

You could choose to get them refurbed, if Nissan ain't going to do anything.

I think there are other members here that have either suffered or are suffering from this issue right now.

I would agree that any bubbling in the general area of a scuff could be declined, but I doubt anyone could attribute bubbling on all the spokes to scuffs round the edges.

As above, try another dealer if you arent getting any joy with your current one - you may have more luck. (although having corroding wheels replaced on a top of the range nissan vehicle should not require "luck" :dry: )

Welcome to the site by the way, hope you get the issue sorted, if not let us know how it progresses and there may be others who can be more help. :thumbs:

Welcome Eddie,

If it helps, I too have got the same issue now so I'll be taking it up with my local dealer very, very shortly........

Getting my best polite but very firm hat on now :headhurt:

Will let you know how get on......

I guess I'm one of the lucky ones, as I got four brand new Rays :yahoo: and the bubbling wasn't paticularly bad.

...but it did take Nissan ~ 6 to 8 weeks to eventually agree to the work, and a fair few calls to the dealer to push the claim along.

The only slight problem I had was the dealers inablility to balance the wheels properly so I had to take the car back :thumbdown:

I guess I'm one of the lucky ones, as I got four brand new Rays :yahoo: and the bubbling wasn't paticularly bad.

...but it did take Nissan ~ 6 to 8 weeks to eventually agree to the work, and a fair few calls to the dealer to push the claim along.

The only slight problem I had was the dealers inablility to balance the wheels properly so I had to take the car back :thumbdown:

Do you have any pics of your bubbling?

Apologies Sarnie, I was too hasty with my previous reply.. :p

I zoomed in on some old pics and found this....

wheel.jpg

..maybe it was worse than I thought!!, this was by far the worst though - barely visible on some of the other wheels.

Yes very bad. Its just a pity Nissan are'nt like Lexus. They changed my alloys on my Is 200 at first service, because they were not happy with them. Guess thats why they are always voted number 1 for customer service. B)

• 3 weeks later...

Just got official reply from Nissan GB :

- 'ALLOW ME TO REFER YOU TO SECTION 2.8, SUBSECTION 4, OF YOUR NISSAN WARRANTY BOOKLET WHICH STATES THAT YOU ARE NOT COVERED FOR 'DAMAGES , FAILURES OR CORROSION RESULTING FROM ; MISUSE,ACCIDENT,THEFT,ARSON OR INTENTIONAL DAMAGE.' IT IS THE OPINION OF NISSAN GB THAT THE DAMAGE HAS BEEN CAUSED BY AN EXTERNAL THIRD PARTY INFLUENCE OF WHICH NISSAN GB HAD NO CONTROL OVER.

Not unexpected but how they think bubbling of spoke areas and around the nuts section is caused by anything but poor workmanshipn I don't know.Maybe they think wheels are not meant to be used on the road in any conditions ! The section they refer me to doesn't mention third party influence and I can't find that Nissan's opinion forgoes all aspects of their warranty.

This will be an interesting battle from now on.!!

Am I looking at that pic correctly? The bubbling is on the spokes and looks like water droplets?

Bubbling occurs from under the paint. There's no "THIRD PARTY INFLUENCE" that could case that level of damage except if your alloys were repaired in the past.

The corrosion Nissan refers to is for example rust that develops as a result of a break in the paint allowing moisture in from say a poorly repaired panel.

Legally I would see this as a short battle, which you'd win, because of Nissan's official reply.

Guy