Gym workout, reviews on pre and post workout

ddcboyle

Oh and a note on weight gainers....

Seriously do NOT bother. I used this stuff for a while and turned into Mr. Blobby. You need to be very careful, especially if you were fat once upon a time. This stuff is loaded with carbs and while it may help you with a little muscle gain, on the whole you'll end up looking horrible and be de-motivated.

Better off getting your carbs from actual foods (most are filled with them) and then supplementing on a clean protein like iso-100 and perhaps cycling creatine if you want that extra edge.

I tried to dirty bulk last year and ended up like a blob, need to be very careful or you just won't be motivated to continue with the gym. Ended up spending 5 months cutting half my body fat and starting again.

My goals are a little different to most on here, but these are the two products I use:

PRE-workout

Product: Maxifuel (Maximuscle) Viper Active

Price: £19.99 for 25 servings (Normal price from Maximuscle, but usually bought during their frequent offers)

Effect: It's basically an electrolyte and carb mix, so whilst it's not going to make you suddenly feel like you can pull trucks with your wang, I find that just feeling hydrated and energised (i.e. 'ready' for my workout) is motivation enough for me. Worth noting that this should be drunk at least an hour ahead of your workout, as it can make you feel a bit gassy right after drinking it.

Taste: Really quite nice in fruit punch flavour. Perfectly as drinkable as something like lucozade sport but much more effective.

Period of use: over 1 year

POST-workout

Maxifuel (Maximuscle) Recovermax

Price: £29.99 for 10 servings (again this is the list price, but I always buy in bulk during their offers when it is a lot cheaper)

Effect: This stuff is great for immediate and next day recovery, it stops you feeling knackered after your workout thanks to the hit of electrolytes and carbs, and reduces aching and stiffness the next day thanks to the protein. Due to a lower protein content that pure protein drinks, this isn't going to turn you into arnie, and I'm not really sure that it promotes any significant additional muscle growth (perhaps a little more definition) other than by allowing you to work harder more often due to aiding recovery.

Taste: In orange flavour it's by far the nicest recovery drink I've ever tasted, actually really nice tasting.

Period of use: over 1 year

Why I choose these products: As I said above, my goals are general fitness orientated rather than body-building. My fitness is targeted at MMA, so I include significant cardio and conditioning training as well as just strength. I also have to keep to around 80kg, so I don't want to uncontrollably gain muscle mass or retain water. If you're looking to turn into a meat-mountain then these aren't the products for you, but if you're training for general fitness or triathalon or similar, then I haven't found anything better for less money.

DB

PS. Before we get onto 'Maximuscle is s**t' etc etc,Ii have tried similar products from other brands and in this case they aren't nearly as good. For pure protein I'll agree than Promax doesn't seem the best value, but this stuff is different.

i know my mate was on macimuscle viper on ops as he didnt believe in so much false energy you get from grenade or n.o., didnt give him a low when he never took it. I was on n.o. and definetly felt more of a powersurge, but taking it everday for 4weeks, had a weekend off and body crashed

i know my mate was on macimuscle viper on ops as he didnt believe in so much false energy you get from grenade or n.o., didnt give him a low when he never took it. I was on n.o. and definetly felt more of a powersurge, but taking it everday for 4weeks, had a weekend off and body crashed

Exactly my thinking too. I started using it during my RAF training and other guys were getting massive crashes on more extreme stuff which (as you'll know) you really can't afford to have when you've got pointless training tasks to be doing.

DB

Trying to gain a little muscle and tone up, dont have a pre workout as naturally hyper,

post workout I use whatever whey is on offer at h&b shop down the street :lol:

love milkshakes so cheaper than nesquick! usually go for chocolate :p

dont go to a gym just playing lots of ice hockey and sit ups,press ups in house.

Also have the diet of a student, will let u know how i get on lol.

Shakes that ive found good from holland and barrett are those glass bottle ones that cost 2quid each. Awesome taste and work really well. But the price is a bit steep. Never really looked into how much maxi muscle costs me per shake with milk/protein cost.... Now thinking maybe. Should look into it... Lol

Just back from protein shop,

New stuff bought

5B871679-D992-4A10-A6E7-81074AAFCE54-4291-0000040179EE1C2B.jpg

First taste, goliath isolate protein from their performance series.

Taste is ok, nowhere near as food as bsn though but they were out of stock.

Hemo rage ultra concentrate- I will update in about 3 hours when I'm home. Comes with this sticker though lol

4F89E4AE-2B6D-4245-A075-7C783D495D93-4291-0000040354C1A8EA.jpg

Some details

Hemo rage black ultra concentrate

A57894DE-9C11-4F56-A1C3-81962AE9AABF-4291-000004035B069FBB.jpg

B0D6DBBA-32E0-42DC-9E2C-E4056DE74409-4291-000004036F01A6E6.jpg

Goliath labs, isolate protein details

68E15DE6-C650-4595-879A-653D7194C003-4291-000004037B0CC20B.jpg

E0D565AD-3DF3-4B5C-B431-B9210EF88CF4-4291-00000403748F1A06.jpg

6EA16CCD-9C31-4F57-8076-880A1470EA2D-4323-000004046AF3A7E6.jpg

Starting to do some cutting and aiming for lean muscle growth. I'm still using bsn Syntha 6 at evenings due to its slow release.

**** using some of these by the way hahaha

any tub thats using that hazardous symbol found on many youtube dubstep videos and generally the same colour schemes as a poisonous jungle frog can gtf!

:D:lol:

interesting read though

im in a position where id just like to put a little weight on quicker. always unsure if its safe or not as i take a lot of vitamins etc as normal medicine due to health condition. maximuscle progain has been tested with my dietician and givem the all clear to use lightly. but when i see people bulked up it always makes me feel crap as id love to build up a bit better than i do.

it also takes just one infection for me and its 2 weeks on IV antibiotics and quick weight loss again, so it sometimes feels like its a lot of work for nothing when its taken away as quick as it can be.

Protein shakes are really good PWO .. But they're no miracle muscle builder ... Over the last few years I think I've gone through a fair few of them but now I just stick to the MyProtein stuff as it's cheaper and just as effective!

I usually have 50g of Powdered Oats, with about 40g of Whey Protein Isolate about an hour before training ... both purchased from MyProtein..

Pre Workout (20 mins before) I have 5g of Glutamine and 5g of L-Carnitine..

During the workout I usually drink a litre of water ...

Post Workout I have 40g of Whey Protein Isolate, with 60g of Dextrose or Malto ...

:thumbs:

**** using some of these by the way hahaha

any tub thats using that hazardous symbol found on many youtube dubstep videos and generally the same colour schemes as a poisonous jungle frog can gtf!

:D:lol:

interesting read though

im in a position where id just like to put a little weight on quicker. always unsure if its safe or not as i take a lot of vitamins etc as normal medicine due to health condition. maximuscle progain has been tested with my dietician and givem the all clear to use lightly. but when i see people bulked up it always makes me feel crap as id love to build up a bit better than i do.

it also takes just one infection for me and its 2 weeks on IV antibiotics and quick weight loss again, so it sometimes feels like its a lot of work for nothing when its taken away as quick as it can be.

If money isnt too much of an issue, the glass bottles of protein in holland and barrett work really well. You just pay 2-3quid a bottle. But i reckonised more of a change on them

If money isnt too much of an issue, the glass bottles of protein in holland and barrett work really well. You just pay 2-3quid a bottle. But i reckonised more of a change on them

have you got a link? i went holland and barrett and only saw the ones from USN which I then brought.

have you got a link? i went holland and barrett and only saw the ones from USN which I then brought.

http://www.hollandandbarrett.com/pages/ ... 60&cid=513

Thats the stuff i was using, expensive so had to go cheaper. But im sure youll find cheaper than that from somewhere. I used to just take mine to cinema etc with me

http://www.hollandandbarrett.com/pages/ ... 60&cid=513

Thats the stuff i was using, expensive so had to go cheaper. But im sure youll find cheaper than that from somewhere. I used to just take mine to cinema etc with me

Christ, that looks like a medicine bottle. Will defo give it a shot though.

While we're on the subject I bought these protein bars (Flapjacks) yesterday as they're on offer..

http://www.discount-supplements.co.uk/?fh_view_size=60&fh_usertype=regular&omitxmldecl=yes&fh_secondid=xln02d17926&fh_lister_pos=0&fh_location=%2f%2froot%2fen_GB%2fonpromotion%3e%7bspecial20offers%7d&fh_eds=%c3%9f&fh_refview=lister

I don't usually buy them but at this price it's difficult to resist ... They work out to 62p a bar which isn't bad compared to the price of a regular chocolate bar these days ...

While we're on the subject I bought these protein bars (Flapjacks) yesterday as they're on offer..

http://www.discount-supplements.co.uk/?fh_view_size=60&fh_usertype=regular&omitxmldecl=yes&fh_secondid=xln02d17926&fh_lister_pos=0&fh_location=%2f%2froot%2fen_GB%2fonpromotion%3e%7bspecial20offers%7d&fh_eds=%c3%9f&fh_refview=lister

I don't usually buy them but at this price it's difficult to resist ... They work out to 62p a bar which isn't bad compared to the price of a regular chocolate bar these days ...

What do they taste like? I know maximuscle ones are horrible

I ve been in and out of the gyms all of my life. At 23 I was 8th in Greece in grecoroman wrestling under 85kg and now I am black belt at judo and silver at the British masters nationals under 100kg 30-34 age group. Countless hours in the gyms too.

I am a great fun of creatine. At 10-15gr a day. Pure powder no sugars.

Optimum whey gold was very good

No xplode is very good but I can't sleep if I take it after 7in the evening.

A good weights program and good diet with 2.5 times your kg weight in Gramms protein (ie 100kg x 2.5= 250 so 250gr for a 100kg man) most from egg whites fish and meat. 5 times a day complex carbohydrates to keep your insuline stable and above average.

Etc etc

And you ll never be as big as others that eat McDonald's and kebabs all day and inject 2ml of sust a week. Sorry guys it annoys me too. So I ve stopped bothering and started eating loads of curries loool

Just thought I'd post another decent deal I've just found:

http://www.dolphinfitness.co.uk/en/lucozade-sport-body-fuel-energy-gel-45g/25399

I've never actually used these Energy Gels before but I've entered myself into the Spartan Beast Race Challenge in November and apparently the gels are definitely recommended during the race ...

They're only 72p each and the site offers free delivery with no minimum spend ... worth a try atleast!

Interesting read this. I've tried most things on the market but different things work for different people. I now have a strong black coffee 10 to 15 mins before workout, and 5 measured meals aday. My wife decided to have a go at the diet i was working on so i measures normal body mass along with what i thought she should consume, She ended up taking NPA and BNBF titles two years straight, so over the years you have to try different things. Few pics of my wife after 3 years trainig with me and hard dieting. 5 meals aday and lots of water....

sarah_meek_4.jpg

sar2.jpg

You gym nuts are mad :lol:

I'm not one for gyms either but I did buy a decent running machine recently, as I was getting a bit of a belly and the old man boobs were just starting to show. Been doing just half an hour a day six days a week for about 3 months now - made a big difference to how I look and feel. :thumbs: