New and looking for 350z ready for supercharging

Hi, new to this forum (obviously...)

I was in the pub with dad having our usual automotive related chat and I noticed that since he sold his last convertible to me he doesn't have one anymore. I then put the seed in his head that he could have a 350+ bhp, stunning looking, well built, reliable, 3 year old convertible for 25-30k that would be a bit different. The last car he had that sort of fitted this critera was made in Blackpool and used to sit in the drive with bits literally falling off it.

I left him racking his brain trying to work out what I was talking about and I actually got very cocky and bet him £10 it would be the next car to sit on his drive, I was that confident.

Then when I told him, 350Z roadster WITH a supercharger and lowered on a set of 19's. I could see the all the ticks being ticked in his mind and knew the seed was firmly planted!

I left it at that but he mailed the other day and asked me to start looking into it so here we go!

Looks like loads of useful information in here and a few people already been down the supercharger route (I see Steve_B has probably been paying quite a lot of 'Abbey tax' as I refer to it)

Welcome aboard! :thumbs:

I'm no FI expert but they'll be along shortly. In the meantime, are they your Skylines in the avatar? If so lets have some pics and info on them. We like Skylines as well as Zeds over here. :thumbs:

steve-b didn't pay any abbey tax as he put it on himself ;)

StephenG on the other hand paid the Abbey tax, just like Prescience.

PS bet another £10 with your dad that you can get even more hp with the SC, make it iro 380-390bhp ;)

Cheers for the warm introduction guys!. I'm looking forward to sourcing and 'enhancing' this particular car.

He trusted me to find him a skyline GTR (after driving mine) 3 years ago and ever since he's been a total jap convert.

Being that we both own skylines we've both paid a fair bit of Abbey tax so I'll be keen to know the breakdown of costs (if possible) on the conversions that people have had. TDi are round the corner from me as well so I might pop in there and have chat with 'Samuel' (I was advised to when I rung them)

To be honest, peak power isn't so much an issue with this car. If there was a gulf in price between 350 and 400bhp (i.e new injectors, fuel rail, pump, intercoolers etc) then I'd leave it at 350 to start with. I'm more looking for mid range grunt i.e a nice big fat torque curve...if it tails off above 6k RPM then this won't be a big problem as it won't be screamed 99% of the time. His R34 is relatively peaky and around 450bhp so there is no reason to try and replicate this sort of performance. IF he gets bored (unlikely) then it always be upgraded later...I assume the actual supercharger is the same across normal tuning range and it's just the ancillaries (and base engine at the top level) that need replacing as you run more boost out of it?

I'm trying to stick to budget as he'll only wind me up for ever after if it goes overboard but a nice blue/silver roadster with rays/nismo wheels (te37's as per his skyline but in silver would be nice) and a decent exhaust/induction kit.

As for the avatar, yes, thats the GTROC one as I'm a member of that group. I've got a R32 GTR around the 430bhp mark and dad has a R34 around the 450bhp mark. He said 'go on find the best you can get for the budget but only one thing, not black, it's a pain to keep clean'. This thing came up though, uk car, all the mods we would want done (silly money spent), as new condition and the previous owner was mr. fussy of fussy town. Ok, so it's black but it was too perfect for the price NOT to get. He was right though, it usually looks absolutely filthy...that photo was after it had been in the valeters for 2 days...

r32.jpg

fmj3.jpg

Hya and welcome mate.

Nice :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

Excellent choice R32 and lovin the R34 the best skyline ever built. R33 are just too damn heavy and you get the same engine in the R32 but its a lighter car so why people buy the R33 is beyond me. Just change the breaks on the R32 before they blow if jap import. :blush:

Good question about supercharger Ill be interested in what everyone says about which one and where. So far the vortech system seems to have most peoples vote. :thumbs:

.I assume the actual supercharger is the same across normal tuning range and it's just the ancillaries (and base engine at the top level) that need replacing as you run more boost out of it?

not really there's a couple of options with different types of blowers. The Vortech is centrifugal, the Stillen is a root one, for example.

SC won't be as torquey as a TT kit, but will be safer (as proved in the UK ) to run on std internals.

The most widely used is the Vortech, which would push ~390bhp. That's what Abbey has got experience of.

Guest prescience

I think it is only fair to mention that WRCT have had success running a low boost (4psi) APS twin-turbo set-up at 400/400. I Think this might be your best bet from your requirements.

Don't run it at APS-recommended boost (8 psi) or you might well run into internals issues

Not entirely comfortable with after market twin turbo's. The heat issues would concern me slightly. For the 'modest' gain in power I think super charger is going to be more reliable and cheaper. Plus, he's already got a TT car, be nice to have something with a supercharger whine in it!

That after market turbo kit is over 8k as well isn't it? Which, would blow the budget...be none left for the 19's or the neons and airbrushed viking warrior graphics (yes, I'm joking on the last two lol)

Yes, I have to admit that r34 i one of my fave cars ever (hence, even he agreed after he told be specifically not to get a black car). It's serviced down here (he lives in south wales) so we swap skylines and I get to keep his for a month or two. I can't lie and say I am not gutted when I have to give it back to him. It's the noise as well...it's the most violent, offensive RB26 I have personally heard...most of the fuel seems to come belching out of the exhaust in 3 foot flames accompanied by a cacophony of explosions. Only the cerbera 4.2 with a full sports de-cat exhaust came close to this for the noise. The difference with the cerbera was that when the fuel did go in the exhaust with a loud bang you were left wondering whether it was fuel detonating of major parts of the car falling off....

Done a bit more digging...looks like it comes down to the vortech or HKS kit. It seems that the Vortech kit (with its gear drive) is particularly 'whiny' but this is subjective so I need to find out just how intrusive this is. I don't mind a bit of supercharger whine but if it's in a convertible and it's a constant mechanical harsh type noise this could be a bit grating. Rung Abbey today but Mark was out on a track day so will ring him tomorrow and pop into TDI to see what they have to say. It appears they have both fitted the HKS and Vortech kits so will see whats what. Obviously, any views are welcome...as I said, I'm not after monster horsepower...big fat torque curve. I notice the TT kit is cheaper than the HKS SC kit but I guess fitting on the TT is going to be a lot more involved with the exhaust manifolds having to be replaced, IC etc etc

Haven't found a suitable car yet but whilst looking I realised I haven't given much thought to the gearbox. Can the tiptronic take 350lb ft?

It's doesn;t need to be as hardcore as the GTR so there isn't a problem with manual or tiptronic.

I need to put me skates on though...2 days now of roof off weather (in his old convertible that I bought off him)..he'll be getting most envious...

BTW, was talking to dad the other day and mentioned I had joined the forum to gain an insight of those more with the experience of the 350. Mentioned that his R34 is generally admired (I like doing this as i remind him who sourced it for him and convinced him to buy this one despite being black). He then reminds me that I am lucky to have a dad who's an OAP and still mad about cars. Fair play, not bad for a 62 year old...

Some might question the blacked out windows but he argued that he's a drug dealer (pharmacist) therefore it requires blacked out windows. I couldn't argue with that... :D

Done a bit more digging...looks like it comes down to the vortech or HKS kit. It seems that the Vortech kit (with its gear drive) is particularly 'whiny' but this is subjective so I need to find out just how intrusive this is. I don't mind a bit of supercharger whine but if it's in a convertible and it's a constant mechanical harsh type noise this could be a bit grating. Rung Abbey today but Mark was out on a track day so will ring him tomorrow and pop into TDI to see what they have to say. It appears they have both fitted the HKS and Vortech kits so will see whats what. Obviously, any views are welcome...as I said, I'm not after monster horsepower...big fat torque curve. I notice the TT kit is cheaper than the HKS SC kit but I guess fitting on the TT is going to be a lot more involved with the exhaust manifolds having to be replaced, IC etc etc

Haven't found a suitable car yet but whilst looking I realised I haven't given much thought to the gearbox. Can the tiptronic take 350lb ft?

It's doesn;t need to be as hardcore as the GTR so there isn't a problem with manual or tiptronic.

I need to put me skates on though...2 days now of roof off weather (in his old convertible that I bought off him)..he'll be getting most envious...

PM Prescience. He had a modded Vortech SC 350z. He's very familiar with this topic area and is generally very helpful :thumbs:

Guest prescience

Abbey are HKS agents and will push you towards HKS - are HKS still doing a S/C and were there some issues**. Honestly I can't recall precisely - Valerio will remember more.

The HKS it when it was in favour (if its not now) was certainly known for being the best engineered and much quieter - also torque may be better. Not tuneable except by HKS Pro dealer, but if you are happy with its performance and the point above is cleared up -I'd say its a good choice (from a former Vortech owner)

** Edit - I recall now, HKS and Rotrex who supply the kit fell out and the HKS S/C was discontinued. There was talk of HKS doing their own kit but legal threats from Rotrex put paid to that - that was the last I heard but Abbey will know more. The HKS TT is expensive but probably a very nice kit (but that's off-topic)

Guest prescience

PM Prescience. He had a modded Vortech SC 350z. He's very familiar with this topic area and is generally very helpful :thumbs:

Commented above - sometimes I do hesitate to jump in on these threads; after all I don't have the motor now and I don't want to be a boring one-trick pony like a certain person about a certain 'Ring' circuit ;)

On balance if I think I can help, I will and certainly always available on PM