Not your usual Zed replacement

Chris`I

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

OK updates have been few and far between as we were on a mission to get the van into a 90% converted state for our trip to the Lakes between Xmas and New Year. So heres a quick rundown of what I've been upto!

First up we replaced the double front seat with a single and another came with it as we got the pair for a bargin:

IMG_0003_zps9e461991.jpg

T5s are known for having shoddy reception (aerial is in the wingmirror of all places!) so the rubbish head unit was replaced with a Kenwood DNX520VBT which is a VAG fit and also replaced the aerial with a internal window one which greatly increased the reception - its not flawless.

IMG_0006_zpsdc2f91f2.jpg

Next up came the floor. Battened with 9mm ply here and then 12mm ply sheets over the top. Rock solid once it was all Sikaflex'd and screwed down.

IMG_0190_zps1210f5dc.jpg

Altro flooring on top of that. Amanda likes it as it sparkles :lol:

IMG_0193_zpsc33603a0.jpg

Then it was time for the units. These are CNC cut lightweight ply units, made by the guys at Green Dog Campers in Ireland. Cracking bits of kit, you can tell the chap that makes them is a designer and engineer. All the panels slot together to make a much stronger structure than the usual units you see in these vans which are just screwed together.

IMG_0002_zpsc56ab546.jpg

All done and with the table up:

IMG_0012_zps74094bef.jpg

Cooker and sink:

IMG_0010_zps0a4499b1.jpg

Bed down:

IMG_0013_zps29026938.jpg

Units in the rear:

IMG_0015_zpsabf8f5b9.jpg

And seat up for watching TV!

IMG_0016_zps40198d2a.jpg

Done so much in a short space of time I forget how much I've done. In there I've also fitted the fridge and fitted pull up worktop sockets which also have USB ports for charging iPhone and other gadgets.

Gas for the hob is temporarily fitted for now with flexy tube but I have all the bits waiting to fit it up with 8mm copper tubes - thats tonights fun :teeth:

Thanks guys :teeth:

Might take a while to do burgers for 50 Zed drivers with 2 hob rings :surrender:

Changed a lot in the last few weeks, all for the xmas adventure but it all worked out in the end. Quite a few bits are beind done in multiple passes at the mo, doing it once to prove it fits and works, then again to do it right! Its hard work but good fun. And the to-do list seems to be getting no shorter!

Still have

• Gas plumbing in properly - currently on a temporary flexi pipe, needs copper tubing (started tonight)
  • Boxing in under the bed. Units came with finishing panels with one end having doors for access
  • Wiring up the TV to the 12v system rather than through 240v hookup so we can use it off grid
  • Armrests for the drivers and passenger seat
  • Recover the seats and seat/bed in leather
  • Swivel for the passenger seat (on order)
  • Colour coding the bumpers
  • Somewhere to fix the table so it doesnt move around (currently going to be at the end of the units, already made a prototype)
  • Somewhere to fix our little oil radiator
  • Loads more I've not thought of yet :surrender:

Great job Chris, those units do look very well thought out :thumbs: How much is a burger? :hypocrite:

Now thats an idea for the Wales car park.... :lol:

Naa, might have to requisition it as the photo bus. sorry .............. " Media Center "

" tea on tap " as a bonus.

• 3 weeks later...

Quick outing to Hamble yesterday as the sun was out for once and the wind was off-shore so nice and warm. Also a good excuse to try out our new Cobb BBQ.

IMG_0422.jpg

IMG_0425.jpg

IMG_0428.jpg

Interior is largely done now. Last weekend I fit the bed end panels and swivel base to the passenger seat. Just need to box in where the table is stored and tidy up the water containers as they dont currently get strapped down, and I think its done in terms of practical usage things.