I've Ruined My Z's Handling :-(

Greddy-Matt

Spacers cause issues with the KPI on the front of a Zed, these cars are always more "nervous" after fitting spacers. The move the pivot point of the front suspension indie the centre of the tyre ,so causing the steering to be more nervous.

Fitting spacers will make no difference to the 4 wheel alignment figure as your only increasing the track width.

But you car's alignment may not be in spec and the fitting of the spacers may have enhanced the issues.

Get the car 4 wheel aligned then try the car then refit the spacers and see if the handling deteriorates.

Mark

Thanks mark, I did wonder if I was going mad, its definitely the spacers had them off and all back to pretty much how it was, I'm going to get an alignment done, but if that doesn't solve it would a wider front wheel (to fill out the arches) with an offset to keep the suspension centred be the solution?

I found that going from a Rays wheel with spacers to a 9J ET20 on the front solved the problem, I now run a 10J ET -17 with a 25mm spacer and it actually feels better than standard. There was a motorsport engineering student on here a while ago going on about Kingpin inclination and how he wanted to keep the centreline of the wheel in the same place ......... but I cant find the thread and have never experienced the same issue on anything else.

Anyway, enough of answering the question, back to the important business of jam and mountain goats ......... :dry:

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Despite Abbey advising against spacers, I had them fit some. Scary, so they 4 wheel aligned it, still scary handling, especially at speed on some surfaces plus you had to really 'steer' it out of a tight turn otherwise it wanted to go around in circles.

I still have spacers, but they're on a shelf in the workshop!

Well since fitting Meisters, camber and toe adjustment, Super Pro bushes and Eibach ARB's I've never loved my setup so much. And I am running spacers.

Car drives fantastic and after Jez took my car out for a spin :drive1 last week he loved it too.

Works perfect for me. Maybe it's because I'm still running 18's and might be different once 19's are fitted :shrug:

Well since fitting Meisters, camber and toe adjustment, Super Pro bushes and Eibach ARB's I've never loved my setup so much. And I am running spacers.

Car drives fantastic and after Jez took my car out for a spin :drive1 last week he loved it too.

Works perfect for me. Maybe it's because I'm still running 18's and might be different once 19's are fitted :shrug:

I'm interested to know the difference in stiffness between the uprated ARBs and the GT-Spec bracing.

Hi wasso

I would put money on the coilovers sorting out the issue, I bet the damping / rebound control combined with the shorter travel of the suspension dial the weird wobble out, the car feels under damped at the front at the moment.

Just to answer a question spotted on here, running spacers is the same as using a lower offset wheel in terms of loads and track etc.

If you could find a higher offset wheel that was wide, and filled your arches, you might be in luck, but I will add myself to the list of thinking fitting spacers has just exagerated alignment issues that were likely already there.

With regards the effect on ride, the easy way to think about that is levers. If you widen the track to increase the length of the lever on the suspension, so in effect you make it a bit softer, broadly speaking.

• 4 weeks later...

I was concerned about this before purchasing 20mm spacers all around but I'm pleased to report I've not had any issues yet. I haven't pressed on hard in the bends yet but initial feeling is good and turn is feel hasn't been compromised.