I've Ruined My Z's Handling :-(

Greddy-Matt

Hi all

Excuse the long post but I don't want to c**k this up....

I've got the standard Rays on my 350, and after deciding I couldn't put up with the wheels being tucked so far in the arches anymore, I went with 25mm Eibach spacers rear and 20mm up front after looking at the multitudes of threads on here, and looks wise the set up is perfect, however the handling is now horrific...

I was running 20mm spacers on the rear and none on the front whilst the 25mm spacers were on the way and the turn in on the car was great, nice and tight, very stable, almost darty, now I've taken the 20's off the rear and gone for the more usual 25 rear 20 up front, the front end feels wallowy and un-responsive with the added negative of feeling skitish at higher speed, you can feel the weight transfering side to side with steering wheel input without the front changing direction much, i.e. you can feel the front suspension working hard.

Long and short of it I cant believe a 20mm spacer has such an effect on the car and I just can't live with it so the rays and spacers will be going ASAP, but I'm concerned that by changing wheels I'll end up with the same issue going for rims with an offset that gives me a flush to arch look?

Could anyone confirm the issue is moving the whole of the rim width out 20mm, i.e. could I solve the issue by running a rim an inch wider on front with a 20mm lower offset? I don't want to spend a fortune on wheels to be disappointed :surrender:

Apologies for the long post, I've read thread after thread but none the wiser, any advice would be welcome. :thumbs:

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Many will bleat on about how spacers basically turn your car in a 1973 Citroen Diane but personally I think that's a load of old @*!#.

That really doesn't sound right unless you are slatting it around corners or tracking it. I could hardly notice it at all regardless of how I drove (20 ml all round)

All spacers will do is increase your front wheel scrub radius (the pivot point of the wheel is no longer in the centre of the wheel so it 'scrubs' across the road), which might numb the handling very slightly, but I can't see how 20mm spacers could totally trash the handling on their own. Did you fit them yourself? because it sounds more like massive geometry issues than just spacers.

DB

Hi

I fitted the fronts tonight, I'm going to do a back to back with them on / off tomorrow night, I'm running Tein lowering springs if it makes difference, lowered circa 20mm all round. It may be geometry based, I know the fronts are running a fair amount of negative camber.

I like the 18's, so if I replace the rims I'd go 18's again I think, plus I just forked out for new Michelin super sports, looking at the Rota Boost if I can get them in a good offsets :cloud9:

Hi

I fitted the fronts tonight, I'm going to do a back to back with them on / off tomorrow night, I'm running Tein lowering springs if it makes difference, lowered circa 20mm all round. It may be geometry based, I know the fronts are running a fair amount of negative camber.

I like the 18's, so if I replace the rims I'd go 18's again I think, plus I just forked out for new Michelin super sports, looking at the Rota Boost if I can get them in a good offsets :cloud9:

If you went for a Square setup we can get the Rota Boost wheels in 18x10 with an ET20 offset... :) 18x9 is also an option but with an offset of ET30... :)

Sorry can't see it

Adding 20mm spacers to the front may make a small difference but not that much without another factor.

Must be geo - get an alignment check - easy to say not so cheap though :(

I run the 18" rotas with ET15 front and ET10 rear - alignment was done on that setup, grips very well handles well - My road wheels are ET52 with 30mm spacers front - hardly notice a difference except the tryes are not as good.

Sorry can't see it

Adding 20mm spacers to the front may make a small difference but not that much without another factor.

I run the 18" rotas with ET15 front and ET10 rear - alignment was done on that setup, grips very well handles well - My road wheels are ET52 with 30mm spacers front - hardly notice a difference except the tryes are not as good.

+1 I had a 25/20 set up on my Zed and really did not notice any handling difference :shrug:

Definately with Chris here, say for example your front was toeing out 0-5mins before, adding the spacers, increases the width of the axle in a sense so although it won`t increase the amount of toe, it will make the car more sensitive to it. I personally run a little toe in front & rear.

Never had a problem running the spacers :shrug:

Fitting further mods such SPL lower compression bushes, coily's and now the Eibach ARB's I'm now totally in love with my handling. Had the Eibachs fitted today and all I want to do is drive roundabouts all day long. Flat controlled cornering. The ARB's have made a huge difference.

Get your geo checked and take it from there.

Fitting further mods such SPL lower compression bushes, coily's and now the Eibach ARB's I'm now totally in love with my handling. Had the Eibachs fitted today and all I want to do is drive roundabouts all day long. Flat controlled cornering. The ARB's have made a huge difference.

Are these ARBS Zedman is selling as good as you say they are Ian?

I was getting concerned that I messed all mine up by widening the car in the manor that I have.

18"rays

20mm spacers all round

Bridgestone 050a 18/35/245 on the front

". ". ". " 18/35/275 on the rear.

I really need to make a decision fast and is the Arb fitment something I could do myself?

Thanks

Peter

I was getting concerned that I messed all mine up by widening the car in the manor that I have.

18"rays

20mm spacers all round

I really need to make a decision fast and is the Arb fitment something I could do myself?

Thanks

Peter

You can do it your self, but a much better option is to Buy some Donuts and go visit the Zed Shed :yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

Thanks for the replies guys :thumbs: I had new tyres last weekend but was handling great on the way home from work (before front spacers) will check pressures tomorrow, going to be out of action for a few weeks but sure my lady won't mind booking in for a check. Are we talking 4 wheel lazer alignment?

Maybe the shocks haven't settled after being jacked up, I'll run it through the local forest twisty bits as well and see what happens :D

never heard of any reports like this, i have had spacers fitted myself to my last car and i didnt notice anything if im being honest

anti roll bars is what im currently waiting on, used them on previous cars and they are excellent, certainly notice a difference.

will give feedback once iv fitted them and if anyone needs to get in touch for whiteline parts dont hesitate to ask

18"rays

20mm spacers all round

Thanks

Peter

You can do it your self, but a much better option is to Buy some Donuts and go visit the Zed Shed :yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

The reason I asked is I want to start doing a few jobs myself before my health prevents the simplistic of tasks. Obviously not a good choice of car for someone with Skeletol problems but I refuse to give her up after all the time I put in.

Surely it would end up green if I drove to Bournemouth

:wave:

Greddy Matt, is yours an import by chance? Only reason I ask is that I found spacers blunted the handling of the car as well, I know the Jap cars have a different geo setup.

Someone once tried to tell me that it was down to the centreline of the wheel having been moved, but having driven other cars with up to 50mm spacers and not found any issues Im not so sure. Its a weird one though, as no-one else seems to suffer. :dry:

Greddy Matt, is yours an import by chance? Only reason I ask is that I found spacers blunted the handling of the car as well, I know the Jap cars have a different geo setup.

Someone once tried to tell me that it was down to the centreline of the wheel having been moved, but having driven other cars with up to 50mm spacers and not found any issues Im not so sure. Its a weird one though, as no-one else seems to suffer. :dry:

Hi it's a u GT, off to dabble with the tyre pressures to see if that helps :)