Carbon Cover or Carbon Skin

taras

Which would you go for?  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Which would you go for?

• Cover
    • Skin

This is why skinning is more suitable for parts such as interior.

20121218_165421.jpg

Notice that how many small complicated and inter locking fixings there are for the interior?

Something like this is near impossible to hand make out of carbon or FRP which is why skinning the original part is the best solution to ensure best possible fixings.

20121218_165711.jpg

Some parts may even interlock so lining up is important. By skinning you do not change any of these aspects.

20121218_165740.jpg

20121218_165824.jpg

20121218_165830.jpg

Had parts like this be made purely out of carbon you'd either have to fabricate or come up with your own method of fixing or risk it flapping or moving about.

Things you must know about skinning

It does make the surface stand out more than normal by approximately 2-5mm +/-

Overlaying carbon to your parts will make the part much more rigid and harder so some flexibility will be lost

Edited by RT-Performance

I too would prefer to decide which bits I want skinned rather than a complete interior set.

As to having a semi complete interior while parts are being skinned - the pain of that will be directly proportional to the time taken!

Def want some bits done tho!

David

• 2 weeks later...

Rob you've got a good eye ;)

It is a Celica ST205 hence why some parts are the same as a MR2.

Regarding dry carbon, at the moment I can only do that with pre-preg carbon but that is not suitable for skinning OEM parts.

I have seen people simply rub down the gel coat after vac bagging to achieve this dry look but I'd never leave it like that because without the clear coat it'll deteriorate very easily.

I am however still experimenting alternatives though.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Without a doubt skinning is the best way, but I certainly couldn't drive my car every day without a center console and window switches for a few weeks, so i guess unfortunately wrapping them in glossy CF is probably most peoples best option unless they want to buy 2nd hand parts themselves and send them to get done :shrug:

Sorry Peter but these are for the non HR.

It was always going to be a case of which model do we invest in as we can't cater for all if we where to make moulds.

We went for the majority and yes exactly as Kyle says. There is no easy solution to this.

• 2 months later...