37mph in 30 limit - in traffic - worth defending?

ianphampton

i recently went past a fixed camera that was hidden by overgrown trees, i have contacted the police, they have yet to give me the legal standing on this

Waste of time.

I was done for 35 on a deserted country road. I sent multiple emails/pictures to the Hampshire plod, "Safe Roads Partnership" and local council pointing out road signage was missing or covered, their camera van was parked on a blind bend, traffic calming measures on the road were damaged, and where they clearly hadn't followed the DfT guidelines.

Eventually the "Safe Roads Partnership" admitted they're no longer a "Partnership" as so technically don't have to follow any guidelines and can put a camera where they want. In the end all I got was for them to admit their website was misleading and got them to update it.

Speed signage law must be obeyed. If it's missing (especially on a country lane where there would be no street lighting to enforce a 30) then you have a defence, and I'd have gone through the courts for that.

Cameras don't have to be visible. Speed signs do. If you obey the speed signs then you'll never get prosecuted. I still cannot for the life of me fathom why people bother to speed in 30, 40 or 50 zones, or on the motorway network. It's not fun, and that's where they're looking to get you. :shrug:

I notice someone say earlier that speed cameras don't need to be visible but if thats the case is it not a legal requirement that in areas where they wish to place a mobile unit there must be road signs to alert the driver to the fact speed cameras are in operation?

Pretty sure that is the case in Scotland anyway.

There are a few motorways and country roads which are infamous for the mobile units but there is a road sign stating speed cameras. These are static signs so you know it's a possibility on the road.

Speed signage law must be obeyed. If it's missing (especially on a country lane where there would be no street lighting to enforce a 30) then you have a defence, and I'd have gone through the courts for that.

Cameras don't have to be visible. Speed signs do. If you obey the speed signs then you'll never get prosecuted. I still cannot for the life of me fathom why people bother to speed in 30, 40 or 50 zones, or on the motorway network. It's not fun, and that's where they're looking to get you. :shrug:

The only excuse I can think of is you're not paying attention to anything, including your speed.

The only excuse I can think of is you're not paying attention to anything, including your speed.

Although if you attempt to use that as a defence to speeding, you're just incriminating yourself for a careless driving charge instead...

Although if you attempt to use that as a defence to speeding, you're just incriminating yourself for a careless driving charge instead...

Urr, I didn't say it was a good excuse, nor one to be used in defence. More of a reality rather than an excuse.

I understood that, I was just saying that in case anyone thought it would be a good idea to use that as a defence. :thumbs:

You might be lucky and get offered a speed awareness course which means no points but the fee Oscar nearer £100 than the usual £60 and you have to sit through a 4 hour session

£85 and 3 hours in Hampshire. At least it wasn't the dull lecture I was expecting.

Interestingly most of the people on it were middle-aged or older and had never been nicked before or had an accident.

At the end of the day road policing is a very blunt instrument, especially now it's mostly speed and camera-based. Only a tiny fraction of genuinely (and delibrately) bad drivers are punished.

A copper working a camera could just as easily be out in the road, flagging people down to have a quiet word. Instead they let you commit the offence anyway and hope points/cash will make you a safer driver.

You are such a bad boy! You are a criminal. You should be done for life! No shot dead...stoned even better. And that's sarcasm for all the law abiding primadonas that are here to judge in the first instance!

The thread says worth defending not mum I did it and I am sorry.

It's a shame mate but I don't think you can defend it. They don't have to do all of you. You was speeding full stop. If the traffic was doing 120 you wouldn't follow them ;)

Vans can do 30 and take 2 times longer to stop than you. Old people with walking sticks are allowed to drive, autistic people that you would struggle to communicate with drive, old dears with 2 hip replacements drive etc etc. all in the name of mobility and life quality. At the same time the rest have to suffer a 70 on the motorway only because great grandad is using it with his 2 stroke rusty classic car.

I see people every day driving in and out the car park and it makes me cringe as I get a full up to date medical history and I see and talk to them....no sorry help them sit on the chair myself!

They whole lecturing is getting very irritating especially when we all know that it's got as much to do with road safety as the road tax with the Enviroment.

With regards

Another criminal

You are such a bad boy! You are a criminal. You should be done for life! No shot dead...stoned even better. And that's sarcasm for all the law abiding primadonas that are here to judge in the first instance!

The thread says worth defending not mum I did it and I am sorry.

It's a shame mate but I don't think you can defend it. They don't have to do all of you. You was speeding full stop. If the traffic was doing 120 you wouldn't follow them ;)

Vans can do 30 and take 2 times longer to stop than you. Old people with walking sticks are allowed to drive, autistic people that you would struggle to communicate with drive, old dears with 2 hip replacements drive etc etc. all in the name of mobility and life quality. At the same time the rest have to suffer a 70 on the motorway only because great grandad is using it with his 2 stroke rusty classic car.

I see people every day driving in and out the car park and it makes me cringe as I get a full up to date medical history and I see and talk to them....no sorry help them sit on the chair myself!

They whole lecturing is getting very irritating especially when we all know that it's got as much to do with road safety as the road tax with the Enviroment.

With regards

Another criminal

But why speed in a 30? They're full of traffic, houses, people running into the middle of the road and poor visibility.

I'm not saying for one second I haven't exceeded the speed limit anywhere, but if it's in a 30, i'm definitely not sitting at 40 plus constantly.

Chances are if you are, you haven't noticed anything else either.

This complete and utter lack of awareness, not the speed, is dangerous.

You might be lucky and get offered a speed awareness course which means no points but the fee Oscar nearer £100 than the usual £60 and you have to sit through a 4 hour session

I've done one and actually found it very informative

I wouldn't have thought that would have been an option if you already have 6 points....however, as I understand it, some police forces are now or will be shortly forcing serial speeding drivers to go on an advanced speed awareness course, costs more than an ordinary course and you still get the points :shrug:

Pete