37mph in 30 limit - in traffic - worth defending?

ianphampton

Advice from the forum, please

I had my photo taken by Mercia Police doing 37mph in a 30 limit. Now I know that's over the limit etc but I was one of a whole stream of traffic, all doing about the same.

I have heard that " . .keeping up with the traffic flow" is the only excuse the courts would entertain - and was wondering if it was worth trying to defend this?

I have 6 points already and would prefer not to just roll over - unless you tell me that people who have the nerve to query this in court get an automatic 6 points instead, or something.

Thanks

Ian

No chance. That reason would never be accepted by any court, not sure who told you that whopper. If you were doing the speed, then you have no defence.

Edit: Unless directed by a copper, under duress or as an emergency service on a blue light call.

Seems the consensus is - take the 3 points like a man and stop whining!

Ah well, I was only hoping . . .

All my points have come from silly "Not paying attention in 30 limits" - never got caught doing excessive Zed speeds!

This make 3 times now, 1st was 39mph, then 41, now 37.

Perhaps I'm just a very slow learner. Mind you, running on 9 points, I don't suppose the Zed will ever get out of 2nd any more. Look on the bright side - I'll get some great mpg figures!

Not sure how you stand on this one also don't know if the cameras they use can take multiple shots if they can then all of the cars before will have been caught, good luck mate :thumbs:

From what I understand the latest cameras can take multiple shots a second. So they will have done everyone in the line.

Saying you are moving with the flow of traffic is no defense.

All my points have come from silly "Not paying attention in 30 limits" - never got caught doing excessive Zed speeds!

Perhaps I'm just a very slow learner. Mind you, running on 9 points, I don't suppose the Zed will ever get out of 2nd any more. Look on the bright side - I'll get some great mpg figures!

Just a thought, maybe 30mph speed limits are the ones you need to be paying more attention in.

The fact it's 3 times now, you'd hope to have learned after the first or even second time.

If I was the judge and you came to me with that @*!# excuse I wouldn't give you 6 points.......I'd instruct the court bailiffs to take you into my chambers and fist you until you realised the error of your ways.

Any excuse to mention fisting eh Ricey???

You went over the limit, take it like a man, but not in the way Ricey likes it!

If it's a mobile unit, you can try going down the calibration certificate process.

It has worked for my partner in the past ;)

But she did sort of still learn her lesson and it's still wrong! two catches later - one let off and one "driving awareness" course and she now drives like a granny.... but I'm still scared :fool:

what were you caught by?

camera van, plod with a gun? static unit?

without being rude, most camera setups are all pretty noticeable, either with large luminous diagnols on or painted bright yellow. without being rude possibly need to look at being more observant when you drive. if it shows a 30 sign slow it down. its a pain in the backside i know, but most 30's are through residential areas so its there for a reason.

or look at investing in some decent camera spotter gadgets. road angel or something, what ever is top on the market at the mo.

well from what im told, again probably bollocks, but if a fixed speed camera isnt visible, they arent legal...but this is why i contacted the coppers, im flying out to sandy places tomorrow and don't want a certain letter i have to reply to in a certain time! ... never drive on the A17 !

Just a thought, maybe 30mph speed limits are the ones you need to be paying more attention in.

The fact it's 3 times now, you'd hope to have learned after the first or even second time.

+1

well from what im told, again probably bollocks, but if a fixed speed camera isnt visible, they arent legal...but this is why i contacted the coppers, im flying out to sandy places tomorrow and don't want a certain letter i have to reply to in a certain time! ... never drive on the A17 !

From what I understand this only applies to when the force who run it benefit from the money from it. I.e. they arent in the government scheme for cameras (who the money usually goes to) and they run the camera privately. Thats what you need to establish. And even then I dont know if its actually the case.

Is the back of the camera yellow? That usually indicates (at least it used to) that the force that run it benefit from the revenues from it.

Stay safe mate :thumbs: