RT's Rum Diaries

rtbiscuit

recently i've been trying to find what my spirit is as at the mo i'd drink most things but not norrowed it down. my mate john is a vodka man as is sarnie. got another man who is a whiskey and brandy drinker. (mainly brandy) none of which i mind, but not what i call a favourite.

so i got browsing on the whiskey exchange to see what was about.

noticed the rum section and started reading. ended up popping out and buying a bottle of sailor jerry spiced rum. partly becuase so many people were moaning that they had changed the receipe back in 2010 and they had ruined it. so wanted to see what all the fuss was about.

have to say i think i've just become a rum lover, well a spiced rum lover

smells and tastes good neat, but just discovered if mixed with ginger beer over ice with a twist of lime its bloody amazing.

so my question is, are there any rum lovers out there?

do you have any reccomendations to try?

any good mixers to try with it?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i like my bourbon but i'm really liking my spiced navy rum even if it is the old receipe :lol:

got plans to try the Kraken next

as others have said on the web its similiar to the old SJ receipe.

apparenlty admiral vernons old J is the old SJ receipe revived. but i don;t mind the new one. am i really missing out?

have heard of mount gay, is it really that good?

I love the stuff..... I got hooked when I was in Barbados...and have never really looked back :lol: Its a subtle spice but I drink mine neat :)

Once you tried gay you never went back! :lol:

have heard of mount gay, is it really that good?

I love the stuff..... I got hooked when I was in Barbados...and have never really looked back :lol: Its a subtle spice but I drink mine neat :)

Once you tried gay you never went back! :lol:

Well you should know....... you were there with me hunni ;):lol:

both sound good, might just have to try an ew bottl eof each as the old ones run out.

drank half the bottle of SJ in one night :blush: nearly finished now 2 days in, :blush:

lol, try the mount gay eclipse rich........ tis goooood man. Visit their site as they describe the blend pretty well and see if it tickles your taste buds :lol:

Spiced / dark / golden rum is one of my favourite spirits (along with bourbon!)

The BEST rum I've ever drunk is this if you feel flush: http://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/P-14962.aspx

everyday stuff - this is good to sip: http://www.thedrinkshop.com/products/nlpdetail.php?prodid=3336

anything you have to mix should be avoided! :drunk:

I am a big fan of Rum and have quite a collection at the minute. If you are specifically after spiced rums, these two must be on your list;

Chairmans Reserved spiced - this is quite heavily spiced so more of a Christmas feel to it

Foursquare Spiced - this is stunning. I have one problem with it though, once it is opened it is impossible to put the cap back on :cloud9:

If you fancy the golden rums then you cannot go wrong with these;

Eldorado 12 year old - nicer than the 15yo IMO very easy sipping rum with a sweet demerara twist to it. My absolute favourite at the minute

Brugal - cheaper rum good for Mojihto's

On my to try list - these will be a birthday present to self later this year

Abuelo

Zapcapa

Currently open at home and enjoying:

-Captains Reserve, which is very tasty

-Goslings Gold, which I got from outside the factory when I was in Bermuda

-Angostura 1919, which is very soft and nice to drink neat or over ice.

Open but horrible: Bacardi Oakheart, which I got for the F1 at Silverstone this year... its dire.

When I'm out and choice is limited I stick to stuff like Havanna Anejo Especial, Appletons Estate or Bacardi Gold/Oro, although when I was feeling real flush once I tried the nicest rum ever... Appletons 21 Year Old... Its amazing :thumbs:

well going by how fast SJ has gone down, i'll be getting through a new on eto try at least every week :blush:

just because i'm intrigued and the bottle looks cool, i think i'm going to give the kraken a go first.

at the moment SJ is my benchmark so from this point on it will be my marker.

If you want to try a rum VERY similar to the original SJ's, then Asda's own brand Caribbean Spiced is worth a try.

It's the closest drink I've tried to the original(Haven't tried ADMIRAL VERNONS, Old J yet) and it only costs £12-14 a bottle.

Even the label has a Sailor Jerry style anchor as the main picture. Definitely worth a try. :)