Winter Tyre Choices

Mikesding

I used Continental winter contact 790's I think. My brother used falken ones which where cheaper but did the same job I suppose. Smaller tyres sizes are cheaper and narrower tyres are ment to work better.

Narrow tyres FTW

Better off buying an old micra for £200 than a set of winter tyres for a Zed :surrender:

I used Continental winter contact 790's I think. My brother used falken ones which where cheaper but did the same job I suppose. Smaller tyres sizes are cheaper and narrower tyres are ment to work better.

Narrow tyres FTW

Better off buying an old micra for £200 than a set of winter tyres for a Zed :surrender:

Your lucky to get a micra for £200 :lol:

TBH yes that could work but I'd still buy winter tyres. Plus insurance, road tax, mot etc etc and it all adds up. I think with another car you would be looking at 1-1.5k minimum.

Bought some Nokian WRG2 winter tyres two years ago just before the big dump of snow. It's not the being able to get somewhere that concerns me about snow, it's not being able to stop or steer, with winter tyres that concern disappears.

Having said that getting places is useful, I wouldn't have made it to work for a week without them, plus I could go and find so open space to have some fun without fear of getting stuck. As a bonus they are very good when it's cold and wet. If you can afford a spare set of wheels then buy some, fit winter rubber and keep your summer tyres and wheels in better condition for longer.

Have run my set for two winters now (say 12,000 miles), they are about half worn and have put up with Motorways and warm temperatures (17 degrees on one March day) without complaint.

+1

I commute over 300 Z miles a week and have a spare set of OEM wheels. Seems like a no-brainer to use winters for preservation of nice summer wheels as well as enhanced low temperature grip. Only choice for me is Kumho (etc) from camskill (etc) or Michelin Alpin from Costco. Winters are stored away from from UV and wear during the summer, so should be good for years. :thumbs:

• 2 weeks later...

My zed used to be my only commuter for 3 years including the 2 bad winters. Had 2 scares once during a snowstorm (more like perfect storm) on the m62 and once driving to Scotland on the A1 which was more like lake Windermere due to very heavy rain. Other than that I drive sensibly whenever the car beeps that temperature is below 3 oC. I live in hull mind you. If it was the penines then it might have been a different story.

I think our biggest concern is aquaplaning not snow/ice traction. The MPS2s are the best on standing water and damp full stop. The 050As are on par in the wet only and dry with a bit more accurate steering. I tried a few sets of each. The supersports haven't convinced me yet in the very wet.

The 050As for some reason performed a bit better on snow than the MPS2s :shrug:

• 1 month later...

I survived last winter no probs on RE050A's, that included both wet and dry in very cold temperatures, as well as some around-town snow, so other than high-speed snow (which let's be honest you'd be stupid to try) I've thrown it all at them and as long as you drive to the conditions they seem to do the job fine. If I had a second set of wheels for winter to avoid grit corrosion then I might put winter tyres on them, but it hardly seems worth the hassle.

DB

Iv'e done snow the last 3 years on REo50A;s with no issues, as long as you are sensible and take it easy you are fine. There is more danger of some numpty hitting you unfortunately cc_surrender.gif

Drove home in this earlier this year, hard to see how bad it was from the pic but the snow you can see was just what blew into the covered car park

0538DF48-BD0F-450F-917C-FE77C5BEA173-10142-00000C48E2E6292A.jpg

I may be late on this, but being a Spurs fan that number plate is frigging awesome!

I survived last winter no probs on RE050A's, that included both wet and dry in very cold temperatures, as well as some around-town snow, so other than high-speed snow (which let's be honest you'd be stupid to try) I've thrown it all at them and as long as you drive to the conditions they seem to do the job fine. If I had a second set of wheels for winter to avoid grit corrosion then I might put winter tyres on them, but it hardly seems worth the hassle.

DB

Iv'e done snow the last 3 years on REo50A;s with no issues, as long as you are sensible and take it easy you are fine. There is more danger of some numpty hitting you unfortunately cc_surrender.gif

Drove home in this earlier this year, hard to see how bad it was from the pic but the snow you can see was just what blew into the covered car park

0538DF48-BD0F-450F-917C-FE77C5BEA173-10142-00000C48E2E6292A.jpg

I may be late on this, but being a Spurs fan that number plate is frigging awesome!

:thumbs:

748f1f6d.jpg

No summer tyre is going to be good in the snow. I get by quite happily with them on. You do have to clench your cheeks sometimes and its an interesting way to learn to control the rear in a slide. Basically go into every corner expecting to slide, therefore it shouldnt be a suprise. Take it steady. Use the gears and don't touch the brakes. If your at all paranoid about crashing or arnt confident in your skills leave the car at home.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

The tyre industry suggests that once the ambient temperature drops below 7 degrees celcius then its time to fit winter tyres (sales ploy?). I fitted some Kleber 'Quadraxer' to my girlfriends Fiesta and i must adnit the difference was noticeable. Admittedly these are budget winter tyres but stopping distances were reduced by approx a third and whereas a hill leading to the house had the Fiesta stumped in a light dusting of snow, last year the car sailed up it no problem. If you can afford them i'd invest in a set, you WILL notice the difference. But as Spurs Mad Dave suggests its the pillocks in other vehicles you've got to watch out for.

The tyre industry suggests that once the ambient temperature drops below 7 degrees celcius then its time to fit winter tyres (sales ploy?). I fitted some Kleber 'Quadraxer' to my girlfriends Fiesta and i must adnit the difference was noticeable. Admittedly these are budget winter tyres but stopping distances were reduced by approx a third and whereas a hill leading to the house had the Fiesta stumped in a light dusting of snow, last year the car sailed up it no problem. If you can afford them i'd invest in a set, you WILL notice the difference. But as Spurs Mad Dave suggests its the pillocks in other vehicles you've got to watch out for.

True but at least I'm doing my best to be as safe as possible, apart from not driving her!

the 2 main people you need to watch for is the prats who think because its a 4x4 it will slow down quicker duhh! The other ones are the ones who buy cheap sheds with tyres that would drift on a 30c hot and dry day. Generally they are the ones who drive the worst everyone else generally is pretty careful.