Which would you buy?

MRH 350Z

I have a newborn and am thinking of trading the Zed for something different that can at least accommodate the young one when needed. I have always fancied a Renaultsport...

Which would you go for?

1. Renaultsport Megane 225 Trophy

2. Renaultsport Clio 182 Trophy

I don't want to spend any more than £6k so the newer 225/230 F1 Megane's are out. I also want it to be a cheaper owners proposition than the Zed. It doesn't matter that the Clio has a small boot - I also have a Focus when more boot space is needed.

Any thoughts? Any experience of these cars?

I have a 172. Awesome cars. The Clio is more fun and chuckable where as the megane is faster and more refined.

Mpg on the meg will be comparable to or worse than the 350z I've heard but will be better for long mile munching than the clio. The meg with a remap will be very quick where as the Clio is fast enough to have fun but will be obviously slower than the meg.

Clio is 3 door also which might make things hard?

If it was purely for the drive, then the 182 would get my vote. Stunning little cars, so much fun to rag the backside off and that engine is wonderful :cloud9:

BUT

If you're going to be putting a kiddy in the back you're not going to be driving like a nutter anyway, so you might as well get the quicker Megane.

Neither, they are both awful cars IMO :thumbs:

Have you genuinely driven both of them enough to make that opinion.

Granted the build quality isn't the greatest and they lack a bit of style but both are very accomplished hot hatches which really put on a smile on your face.

To the OP, depends what sort of engine you like Turbo or N/A. Personally i'd go for the Megane for that turbo shove but I'd argue the Clio will be more fun when you are in the mood :D

I doubt it, both are excellent cars. Id personally go with the Megane as its a bit more grown up and practical like ........ but have you considered an M3 at all? ;)

I wouldnt waste your time with the Clio if your taking a child in it. They are only good when your ragging the nuts off of them. Also the trophy has the big recaros so I am not sure how you would get on with a child seat (assuming its a very young child).

...not forgetting the awful interior

I doubt it, both are excellent cars. Id personally go with the Megane as its a bit more grown up and practical like ........ but have you considered an M3 at all? ;)

Why do you have to have driven a car to think it is awful, I have never slept with Susan Boyle but I think I am entitled to say I think it would be awful! Everyone is entitled to their opinion, I have never driven either and I wouldn't say they are terrible to drive but I think they are both awful cars.

Why do you have to have driven a car to think it is awful, I have never slept with Susan Boyle but I think I am entitled to say I think it would be awful! Everyone is entitled to their opinion, I have never driven either and I wouldn't say they are terrible to drive but I think they are both awful cars.

Dude, you cant give a review of something youve never used - by all means say the interiors are horrid, or they look like ass, but you cant say a car is "awful" without driving it, particularly not driver focused efforts like this. Double particularly when both are excellent at what they do. Can you really see Jeremy Clarkson starting each review with "well, I havent actually tried this car but ........" it wouldnt get too many reads I dont think :D

To use your Subo example, you can certainly say that you think shes pretty unattractive, or that shes got a great voice, but I wouldnt take your advice on whether she cooks a decent meal ......... and if I was going round there for dinner that information would probably be rather more relevant, no? :shrug:

I may not have driven both, but I have been driven in both and not just to the shop round the corner ;)

Yes they are nippy on the straight and round corners, but I found the build quality and ride pretty appalling in general. I also really dont like the look of the Megane. The Clio 172 is a better car than the 182 :blush: But hey this is just MY opinion.

i have driven both,

and loved both cars. the older 225 is not as good as the new ones but...... the 182 clio is awesome!!

have you thought of a Fiesta/Focus ST. better build quality and better cars IMHO. slightly more expensive tho.

Good shout on the Focus ST :thumbs:

Fair play, listen to Doogy Rev if you will be spending most of your time in the passenger seat then :thumbs:;)

You forget all about the build quality and ride as soon as you get onto a decent B road, trust me. Unless these are the two things you look for most in a sporty car of course, dynamics and the fun factor are up the top of my list, which is why I think both are "great" rather than "awful" (which is pretty harsh mate, youve got to admit - a Zastava Yugo or 1.0 Automatic Metro are "awful" .........) :lol:

(which is pretty harsh mate, youve got to admit - a Zastava Yugo or 1.0 Automatic Metro are "awful" .........) :lol:

I cant comment on those, never been in them. However a Brown Austin Allegro ..... now thats just plain @*!# :lol::lol::lol:

Maybe "Awful" was a bit harsh :shrug: but again, its just one persons opinion :thumbs:

I guess I am getting old when consideration for passengers comes in to mind :wheelchair:

I tend to agree with docwra - it's the appeal of an engaging drivers car that appeals to me. The 182 looks poor too my eyes (especially stepping down from the 350Z) but you always hear how great they are to drive. I'm kind of curious to know what the fuss is about. Saying that I think I'm leaning towards the Megane... either way the drive is the thing I want; I can overlook poor build quality (hey, I once owned a VX220 which had a new rattle every day!)

My child won't be in the car that often...

On the one hand I'd like to keep the 350Z but on the other I always fancy trying a different car... and owning a limited edition Trophy appeals. Also, I'm not sure it's advisable to put a forward facing child seat (post 6 months) in the front seat of a car for which you can't turn the air bag(s) off...

I do like ST's but have heard the mpg is similar to the Zed... I was hoping the Megane would be a bit better but perhaps not as good as I thought..!?

The original 172 Clio and the GTI-6 made me totally change the way I thought about FWD, its worth trying one :thumbs:

Id also strongly advise people not to try a Metro 1.0 Automatic or a Yugo, just take my word for it. :yuck:

In my opinion the Gti-6 has the better engine. Very underrated car, still outdoes cars like the Fiesta ST and its 15 years old!