new GT4 owner/headlamps marked internally ??

skidder

Hi everyone,

I've previously had a 04 gt350z.I purchased a GT4 today after travelling 250 miles there and then a 250miles drive back in the terrential rain!!

I was prepared to take it with this problem as I managed to haggle them down a bit and it was a decent price to begin with in my opinion.

Anyway basically both front headlights have smears all inside of the glass lens.I wouldn't call it condensation, just weird streaks either side.There obviously in the inside and non conforming.(different marks either side)I've just drove it miles in the pouring rain and there doesn't seem condensation.Just the same as when I began the journey.

Its quite obvious too.It's not something I could live with.

So i'm under the impression that these are a sealed unit?

Am I going to have to replace both headlamps or are these repairable?

Any ideas would be much appreciated as I would like to get this sorted asap.

Much appreciated,

Chris

Hi again,

Just checked a couple of hours later and there is NO condensation whatsoever, just the same streaks and marks on the inside of both lamps.I was expecting a leaky seal but its not letting anything in at all.Lights work perfectly.I'm figuring its had a leak at some stage and maybe they've replaced the seals rather than replacing the whole headlamp?just guessing...

By the way its no.78/176 if anyone is familiar with the car.

I realise no ones replied yet as its quite late but is it a sealed unit or can the glass be taken out and cleaned or do I need to replace both headlamps.

Have a good evening.

cheers,

Chris

i've looked into this before but it was for condensation/misting,you can get inside the lights but you do have to remove them from the car this involves removing the front bumper first then removing the lights and stripping them of what you can and placing them in the oven to soften the sealant to remove the lense

i haven't done this myself yet but this is what i have found out through various searches i don't think there is a guide to this but i'm probably wrong,hope this helps and if your brave enough to put your lights in the oven please let me know how you get on :thumbs:

hope this helps and if your brave enough to put your lights in the oven please let me know how you get on :thumbs:

Thanks for the advice.You want me to put both my headlights in the oven?

Surely you're not serious? :shrug:

I think i'll wait for some other hopefully better options but thanks for the reply.

If this is my only option i'm pretty hacked off...

cheers,

Chris

Unfortunately those are your only 2 options, either buy new lights or shove them in the oven at a medium to low heat for 20 minutes or so to weaken the seal and take them apart and clean. It's a shed load of hassle if you don't know what youre doing, like me and run the risk of not getting a perfect seal and it all being for nothing. I think early model lights go for pretty cheap on eBay, though.