How smooth can you change gear?

Cat11pillar

Hi guys,

Got a 07 350z 313 with GT Pack, but was wandering how smoothly can you change gear?

I am not expecting a 100% smooth change all the time, but in traffic I dont want to jearking around when changing from 1st to 2nd.

Do you normally change after 3000rpm in 1st? :wacko:

I notice that if I am in 2nd and doing less than 1500rpm then a slight touch on the accelerator and im likely the car will jerk about? :rant:

Clutch does have quite a high biting point (is that normal?) but never had such an issue with driving a performance car smoothly in traffic! :bangin:

Gear changes are fine when I express myself though :teeth:

Got an 08 313 and exactly nthe same for me mate. You do get used to it over time but the trick is just to give it a little more revs when you put it into 1st. Moving into second I never have an issue unless I am booting it then it does throw you a bit...

Don't think it's anything to worry about :thumbs: you will get used to it and start to enjoy it

Exactly the same for me, done around 100 miles in my 'new to me' zed and am finding it challenging to be smooth from first to second at slow speed. I'm glad it's not just me, I suppose i'll just have to pop out and practice some more...what a shame :D

For me its changing starting off in 1st that's a pain, getting into 2nd is not as bad, but still pretty crappy when you don't get the clutch and revs just right. All other gears are fine.

I do find pulling away in 1st at about 1500rpm seems to be the best, and if not, it takes ages for the car to get moving at anything less as the clutch takes a long time to engage and settle.

I really disliked my clutch biting point and hated being in traffic.

The clutch pedal naturally is higher than the rest. I adjusted it to be inline with the other pedals using the guide and it has made a massive difference. Totally different driving experience now.

I find the change from 1st to 2nd can be a little 'clunky' when cold. However once the box if warmed up it seems to be fine and not significantly worse than any other car I've driven. I suppose I've just got used to it after a while and drive accordingly.

+1 ^^ what Bock says.

Until the car is warmed up or in slow moving traffic a gentle two-stage 1st to 2nd shift through neutral works fine and is kinder to the synchros. Once fully warm the box comes into its own and fast changes work fine.

As I was told by someone involved in the original development of the ZED for the UK the box is 'agricultural' compared to say something like a Porsche, but it has great overall strength and you rarely hear of a box going bang even with big number FI conversions.

With the 370 the synchro-rev has really overcome all the gear change issues in the 350 and is no doubt going to help the lonevity of the synchros, even on the up changes it blips the throttle if the revs have died, say in slow moving traffic :)

The zeds have a double cone synchronizer on 1st & 2nd which is probably why it`s a little trickier driving smoothly in these gears, also if your dmf is tired it won`t help matters. My dmf has been shot for about 20k but I can still drive the car smoothly :p

Fair comment guys! I think I will try and lower the biting point as I think that will help! :thumbs:

Dont think I get any crunching or anything when changing gears its probably more accelerator related..

Its just if I over rev it then car feels like it wants to shoot off...

If I under rev it then get the jerk and look like a plonker... :bounce:

Time will help im sure...glad its not just me though! :teeth:

As far as I know, you can't really adjust the biting point on the 350z. I think you can move the pedal position slightly but that's it. If you're having real trouble you could try this kit: http://www.rjmperformance.com/350z--g35-kits.html It has rave reviews in the US and allows you to adjust everything about the clutch engagement. I know it says LHD only but apparently they do make RHD on request.

DB

Fair comment guys! I think I will try and lower the biting point as I think that will help! :thumbs:

Dont think I get any crunching or anything when changing gears its probably more accelerator related..

Its just if I over rev it then car feels like it wants to shoot off...

If I under rev it then get the jerk and look like a plonker... :bounce:

Time will help im sure...glad its not just me though! :teeth:

Learn how to drive :lol:;)

My 2003 JDM is lovely and smooth at low revs, my clutch biting point is very low though (actually pretty scarily low).

I find it harder to keep it smooth on higher biting clutches in different cars, not sure why.

I suppose you would call my shift from first to second slow when travelling in traffic, it's hard to explain in text but I think you just need to take the shift slower, just don't ride the clutch.

It plays on my mind being getting hit with the stigma of that young jerk in a nice looking car and hahhaa look at him bunny hopping down the road and in any car, it's very embarrassing, worse then a stall.

im sure you'll get used to it... just takes a bit of time. when i first had the car i was overrevving it to pull away and riding the clutch when changing gears, just not used to the high bite (and it seemed quite a quick bite as well) but now i can quite happily go from standstill to moving without the revs rising about 1k and no lurching... just takes time! :thumbs: