Problem solved,mystery remains - banana arm

speedwell

Well I've replaced both my bannana arms and drop links ad still have a knocking over bumps. Very annoying. There is also a knock if reversing and coming to a halt. It may be related.

When replacing the arm did you use a new bush? It's not the arm that fails it's the bush within the arm most folks upgrade the bush while they're there to a polyurethane bush. No perishing then saves you doing the job more than once :thumbs:

• 4 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

Are these aftermarket banana arms good enough? Seems a huge price between the Nissan ones (about 250 each) and the ones you can find via websites and eBay (about 60 each).

My car has this dreaded knocking/clunking on the front near side and it's awful. I'm replacing the drop links tomorrow as his seems like the first step (and the left one has play) but sounds worse than just drop links to me so banana will be next!

Are these aftermarket banana arms good enough? Seems a huge price between the Nissan ones (about 250 each) and the ones you can find via websites and eBay (about 60 each).

My car has this dreaded knocking/clunking on the front near side and it's awful. I'm replacing the drop links tomorrow as his seems like the first step (and the left one has play) but sounds worse than just drop links to me so banana will be next!

I've seen people recommend fitting the eBay no-brand parts but replacing the stock bushes for poly bushes, which is what you would want to do anyway. I haven't had to yet so I don't have any first hand feedback.

Well I replaced the drop links which made a huge different to the constant dull clunking noise you would hear on uneven road. But now that's gone it's been replaced with a definite knock noise that's now and again when the road gets a bit lumpy. Weird thing is it sounds kinda central instead of left or right. I'm gonna try and replace the front passenger banana arm and see if that sorts it. Will try the aftermarket first as I don't really want to spend £250 on an oem part for that to not be the issue!

Are the antroll bar bushes common for going? or should I jump straight to this bloody banana ha.

Cheers

The noise....

Edited by C-Fed

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Morning chaps,

Figured I'd resurrect this old post instead of starting a new one. I'm fully aware of the banana arm issues as I've replaced both on mine throughout ownership.

I replaced the drivers side arm last year as well as the drop link and hub assembly however i now have a a similar knocking again. I'm teetering on 100k so can anyone point me in the direction of what may be the next to go, lower control arm bushes maybe? I'm just trying to avoid the garage bills for "Fault finding" if i can point them in the right direction then it could save a few hours. May even be able to sort it myself.

Cheers in advance.

Hayd.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
On 21/05/2016 at 00:59, GT Driver said:

I've just gone for an Ebay aftermarket banana arm. German made AFAIK. Will report back down the line but so far so good - the clunking noise has been resolved.

Been running the same German items for around a year now-no problems whatsoever.I had some others from a uk company(chinese crap)lasted all of three months!

• 8 months later...

The lower ball joint can cause the Clunking knocking sound. replaced drop-links and banana bushings. still had the knock. replacing lower ball joints didn't solve this. but was tough at home on a 2002 car.. 

Edited by jdm2003