Crikey this tyre size stuff is confusing!

ozwald

Well I was hoping I wouldn't have to post this as I wanted to figure it out myself but alas after a good few hours of searching I'm more confused than when I started!

I'm looking at getting a new set of wheels, 18x9.5 +20 for the fronts and 18x10.5 +20 for the rears but have not been able to find anything pertaining to the tyre sizes I should be running. It has also occurred to me that running these widths maybe a bit of overkill, car is lowered 20mm and I have a mate who has an arch rolling device so will be having a bash at this as I think it may be required.

So can anyone enlighten me as to the correct tyre sizes I should be running, and any opinions on if I'd be better going for an 8.5 / 9.5 setup?

Thanks all!

Without going for the stretched look this table gives you an idea of what tyre width you should be running, but it doesn't say what would/wouldn't cause rubbing.

tyrewidths.png

The offset and wheel width will affect whether you need your arches rolling to stop the tyres rubbing.

http://www.1010tires.com/WheelOffsetCalculator.asp is a good site to put in your current wheels and see the difference with new wheels. This will give you an idea of how far in/out the new wheels will be compared to your current ones.

Thanks Tom,

So judging by that I'd be looking at 265 on the front and 285 on the rear, if I'm correct the 35/40/45 etc on tyres is a ratio based on the width of the tyre and the diameter of the wheel so they don't necessarily have to been the same on the both fronts and rears?

Am I right with that?

If you're going for 18"s then I think 40's should be fine. If you were going 19"s then 35 is standard due to increase in wheel diamater you have a lower profile to stop any rubbing.

The profile is the % compared to tyre width. So 265/40 means the tyre sidewall height will be 265*0.4.

Don't put different profiles on front to rear unless you're going for different wheel sizes front to rear, ie 18" front and 19" rear.

Why would you do that to your car? What's the point on putting so much rubber on the road? Get the right rims in the first place.

I can understand a more common 235 at the front and 255 at the rear but still if you want wider tyres get 19inch and sizes that have been proven to work well on the zed. Your TCS will go ape sh@t if you are not careful... You have been warned ;)

Tell us what you want to achieve for us to tell you sizes and offsets and look for such rims. :)

Fair point Greekman, this is why I'm here looking for advice!

I'm looking at getting a set of Enkei RPF1's and I want to stay at 18 for the performance aspect. From further investigation yesterday I think I'll be better off going with 18x8.5 on the front and 18x9.5 on the rear - 245/40/18 - 265/40/18

I intend to use them as a pure summer wheel so something like Pilot Super Sports or Advan Neova AD08's will be going on them.

Edit: 18x9.5 on the rear not 19 and 245/40 not 235

Fair point Greekman, this is why I'm here looking for advice!

I'm looking at getting a set of Enkei RPF1's and I want to stay at 18 for the performance aspect. From further investigation yesterday I think I'll be better off going with 18x8.5 on the front and 19.9.5 on the rear - 235/40/18 - 265/40/18

I intend to use them as a pure summer wheel so something like Pilot Super Sports or Advan Neova AD08's will be going on them.

From a performance aspect you are best to stick to Rays. Forged so very light, strong and proven.

Yea I've read all the wonderful words about the Rays and they're not wrong, strong and light, just what you want from a wheel, but I think they look a bit plain and I'm hankering for something else.

The Enkei's tick those boxes, subtle change to the look and still a lightweight wheel.

Your arches will look a bit more empty with a 235/40 as it is less than 225/45. And same for rears. That means it will need more lowering to get the arches look full and as result less road clearance.

As for the tyres I ve got too and they are fab. Winter or summer.

As for the tyres I ve got too and they are fab. Winter or summer.

The Pilot Sports or the Advan's? Haven't quite made my decision yet, the Michelin's certainly seems to come in a larger range of sizes, what are you running?