Cleaning progress tracker *update 24/09*

350Chris

With the weather as (almost) good as it was yesterday I gave the Zed its first clean in my ownership. My plan is to use this thread to order my thoughts and check the before and after - I am hoping for a sizable difference!

I have had the car for two weeks now and cleaning it really lets me see what's what around the body. Owing to a shipping opportunity my clay lube and wax didn't arrive in time for the weekend but with the parental units going away this week, I am going to move into their house and use the garage for a full and uninterrupted clay, polish and wax in the evenings.

I did get a chance to break out my new Poorboys wheel sealant though. Very impressed with this stuff - went on nicely, buffed off easily - and this morning I have found water beading off the wheels (a first for me!). A few more layers and a full wheel off treatment should keep me a very happy bunny.

One thing I did notice is that the paint is anything but smooth to the touch - I think that the claying is really going to show up some nasty. There is a small parking ding in the drivers door and a couple of stone chips that I need to get some sort of touch up for - in the long run it will need a front end spray to tidy it up.

But here it is....I will update this thread once the rest of the cleaning starts and finishes and may ask for some guidance along the way if I find anything that I can't tackle. Right now I am shopping for polish/wax applicator pads and a new drying towel.

IMAG1289.jpg

And so the detailing begins :thumbs:

The clay will fix the rough paint texture, just take your time and lube up!

Are the rims Weds or copies? They look good.... They were one of my original choices :#1:

Good work :thumbs:

I would say they are theese, I'd looked at them before for mine, then decided not to become a wheel whore...but now I've seen them on an azure.... :cloud9:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/19-KEI-EVO-RA ... vi-content

They are indeed those...I was going to be perfectly happy with a set of Rays and considered swapping them off - but these have swayed me - particularly the attention that they get.

Cheers Wasso - I have plenty of lube on its way, the postman is going to give it to me so that I stay moist. Posty was the one who gave me my rim wax last week

I would say they are theese, I'd looked at them before for mine, then decided not to become a wheel whore...but now I've seen them on an azure.... :cloud9:

They are indeed those...I was going to be perfectly happy with a set of Rays and considered swapping them off - but these have swayed me - particularly the attention that they get.

Cheers Wasso - I have plenty of lube on its way, the postman is going to give it to me so that I stay moist. Posty was the one who gave me my rim wax last week

I didn't know SMD was now working as a postman?

Thing is, do I go for a SA55 copy, or spend around £2,000 getting original SA-60m from America?

Hmmm :surrender:

If you ever fancy swapping them for rays in the future give me a shout, I'm happy with my rays currently but if you ever get bored with yours then I'll have probably got to that stage with mine!

I didn't know SMD was now working as a postman?

Thing is, do I go for a SA55 copy, or spend around £2,000 getting original SA-60m from America?

Hmmm :surrender:

I am yet to work out if it is SMD - but he comes regular as clockwork once a day with a bulging sack.

I wasn't even aware that the Weds existed - but they are bang on the SA-55 design. The 60's look stunning Evasive Motorsport seem to do a good deal but stop at 18" :stir:

Anyway...back to detailing - applicators and towel ordered. Fingers crossed that posty has left his deposit for me to go home to :p

That makes the £700 ebay listing look cheap. I can't deny they Weds look a little better but not £800 better +ship and taxes!

350Chris, what sizes are yours out of interest?

The 19's came out April this year.

http://www.wedssport.jp/products/sa60m.html

They're not the best offset but with spacers should be fine.

Already received a quote of $2,400 for them from RavSpec in America, but then there's shipping and customs on top :surrender:

That makes the £700 ebay listing look cheap. I can't deny they Weds look a little better but not £800 better +ship and taxes!

350Chris, what sizes are yours out of interest?

The 19's came out April this year.

http://www.wedssport.jp/products/sa60m.html

They're not the best offset but with spacers should be fine.

Already received a quote of $2,400 for them from RavSpec in America, but then there's shipping and customs on top :surrender:

We supplied the wheels, post can be seen here - viewtopic.php?f=107&t=47577 :)

She is looking great Chris, I am really pleased that she has gone to a good home!

CS did supply the wheels, I would really recommend getting them from him if you are going to buy some, great customer service and extremely helpful (even after all my questions).

I wouldn't spend the extra cash on Weds, the Kei's turn heads wherever you go and one of the best upgrades I made to the car (in my opinion).

That is a good reason, you have officially scared me from ever changing my alloys! :lol:

Thanks for the link CS, great to see more pics of them. I'll shut up about them now so we can get back on topic.

This would be one reason why I'd choose an original.

Apologies for going soooo far :offtopic:

• 2 months later...

Well it has taken some time to get around to...but a week or so ago I set the weekend aside to clean the toy;

Meguires Gold Class Shampoo with good mit and two moist buckets

Dryed off

Full clay - Meguires Clay and Dodo Juice lube

Pre wax prep with Dodo Juice lime prime

Wax with Dodo Juice Blue Velvet

Wheels washed and sealed with Poorboys Wheel wax

Tyres dressed with Meguires Endurance

IMAG1382_zpscc7967fe.jpg

All in it took around 9 hours - but that was because the paint was pretty badly contaminated - it took me two passes with the clay and two clay bars to be safe. I was waxing at 7.45am on the Sunday morning to get to a family meal in Essex for mid morning - the looks and the tunnels were worth the trip but that's another story.

The DJ lime prime has corrected some of the swirls - but it could do with a machine polish at some point in the future. I do have access to a machine but chose the personal touch this time so that I could really look over the car properly and assess what needs to be done.

Very impressed with the DJ Blue Velvet - the pigment in the wax has taken some of the sting out of the stone chips in the front. I have supernatural to try next time...and having spoken to the guys at DJ will be trying Blue Velvet Professional, as its a hybrid of the two waxes.

The pictures are pretty shocking and don't really show up the sweat that went in - another pass will be done in the next week or so to really layer the wax. The first two are post wax, the rest are pre wax

IMAG1402_zps0fd39e36.jpg

IMAG1401_zps51c6a980.jpg

IMAG1386_zps6138a1e9.jpg

IMAG1384_zps247276ca.jpg

IMAG1393_zps4199149e.jpg

IMAG1397_zps15a5fc4f.jpg