Badger hair shaving brushes

twobears

I was at a trade fair today and visited a stand selling very lovely shaving equipment, including badger hair shaving brushes. I suddenly had to know how the manufacturers had obtained the badger hair :scare: I asked someone on the stand but he just kept giggling and wouldn't tell me so I said that in that case I had to presume that he went out in the dead of night murdering badgers but, seriously, does anyone know where it comes from? I assume that badgers have to be harmed in the making of the product so, if the ruling turns out to be in favour of the proposed large scale badger cull, will we end up with bales of badger pelts all over the place and more shaving brushes than the good men of our nation know what to do with? :dry:

They actually eat badger in China, so the pelts are a by-product of the meat packing industy.

They are alos hunted as Mark says. This is due to their over-population in many areas of Asia.

Thank you :) No idea why 'shaving brush stand man' couldn't have told me that? :thumbdown: Maybe he thought I was an 'anti' in disguise? Although do they wear floaty white skirts and high heels? Surely they don't even own any clothes other than muddy combat trousers, boots and parkas???

Ekona, I'm a woman and have definitely not got a beard or even an incipient moustache (thankfully :lol: ) but even I know that badger hair shaving brushes have been around for years. My father had one when I was a child and that's a fair while back :blush:

Apparently, you can get standard badger, super badger, finest badger or supreme silver tipped badger if you want to be really fancy :teeth:

Last year I bought a badger hair brush and haven't looked back. In my opinion you get a better shave and it costs much less than buying shaving foam.

I also like the smell of the traditional sandal wood shaving soap !

Mm, yes, silver tip badger is the softest, rarest and most expensive badger hair of all :teeth: Any more questions, please don't hesitate to ask me as I am now the acknowledged forum expert ... or do I just have a brochure here from which I am reading? Who knows? :lol::lol::lol:

Ssssh, I'm not allowed in the shaving thread :blush:

Hairy legs then? :shrug::stir:

And that your honour is where it all went wrong.

Apparently if you put a stupid smiley after any comment you can get away with it... at least that's what my attorney said. :bang:

badger.swf

Anyone tried one of these brushes? I've been looking at getting a shaving foam brush for a while, never heard of a badger hair one though, just wondering if they're any good.

I'd only use a badger brush tbh. I've used a synthetic cheapish brush it was gash. I've used pure badger which is good. My main brush is a super badger. A silver tip would be better and plusher but they are serious money.

You also get boar hair brushes but I haven't used them. If your getting a brush you ideally need to use it with a good cream or soap. Shaving ones that is, Gillette gel won't cut it :lol: first timers should try Taylors of old bond street cream as its silly easy lather and smells awesome. But I now use Mitchell and woolfat. It's harder to lather but it's cheap, good for your skin and slick. :thumbs:

If these supposedly great shaving brushes use animal products from China I'd urge you to think twice about buying them!

They have an absolutely terrible record for animal cruelty including skinning animals alive for use in the fashion industry.