brakes seized car will not move just replaced

ho02pey90

How hard have you tried to move the car? I left mine on axle stands for a week with the wheels off while i detailed the car. The first time i tried to move the car it wouldnt have it, (using just the clutch) I had to give it a few k of revs and force it to move. Maybe worth giving it some more ooomph and see how you get on. Well thats what id do. :shrug:

iv tried pretty hard twice and its just burning the clutch there definitely seized on I'm gonna take a look at them now :)

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe try pumping the brake pedal abit and releasing and putting the handbrake on a few times to loosen anything. I doubt a damaged seal on the calipers would cause the brakes to seize on. Maybe take the fluid cap off,and see if you can prize the pistons on the caliper apart abit,and see if that helps.

If all four wheels are stuck solid it can only be one of two things.

1. All the pads are too tight a fit in the caliper and are not returning, possible but unlikely as you woud have had to hammer them in to get it to lock up solid, normally they will just bind and need a bit filing off as someone has mentioned.

2. The master cylinder or the A.B.S unit is not allowing fluid to return back thus pressurising the system when you press the brake pedal. To test this jack up one corner and release (undo ) slightly the bleed nipple to relieve the pressure. Don't press the brake pedal. Try to now rotate that wheel. If it moves freely your problem lies in the master cylinder or A.B.S unit. Pressure bleeding MAY resolve the problem.

Hope this helps

1. All the pads are too tight a fit in the caliper and are not returning, possible but unlikely as you woud have had to hammer them in to get it to lock up solid, normally they will just bind and need a bit filing off as someone has mentioned.

I was going to say the same, there'd be no way of getting new pads in if the pistons are engaged without removing the reservoir cap.

OP how did you get the pads in, with force? Did you try and move the pistons out to get the pads in?

Where are you based? Maybe another member locally could pop along to help? I'd be happy to if local?

Top man Ian, just don't take Bennet with you :teeth:;)

I was going to say the same, there'd be no way of getting new pads in if the pistons are engaged without removing the reservoir cap.

OP how did you get the pads in, with force? Did you try and move the pistons out to get the pads in?

Where are you based? Maybe another member locally could pop along to help? I'd be happy to if local?

2. The master cylinder or the A.B.S unit is not allowing fluid to return back thus pressurising the system when you press the brake pedal. To test this jack up one corner and release (undo ) slightly the bleed nipple to relieve the pressure. Don't press the brake pedal. Try to now rotate that wheel. If it moves freely your problem lies in the master cylinder or A.B.S unit. Pressure bleeding MAY resolve the problem.

Hope this helps

i had the car up on the jack stands this morning took all the wheels off i took the reservoir cap off and bleed the callipers in the correct order after doing this the wheels where able to move, when i re fitted the wheels and took of the jack stands and went to pull away same thing happened all wheels were locked on i can just drive but you can hear the brakes locked on.

I'm thinking of just releasing the pressure on the callipers so the brakes move free and getting a local garage to come pic the z up and let them have a look at it as i don't seem to be getting anywhere at the moment. :thumbdown:

I wish I could help but ive never experienced this before in my life and ive changed dozens of brakes before on different cars, incl my zed.

The fact the wheels move freely when you back off the pressure indicates to me that its not the discs / pads. Im wondering if by not taking the reservoir cap off whether you have damaged something with the servo / master cylinder. I have heard in the past of someone who forced the pistons back and it damaged the seals in the master cylinder.

I`ll be interested to hear what the garages feedback is. Really hope it isnt expensive. :(

i didn't use force all i did was push the pistons back in with a screw driver and they went back freely, the pads slotted in pretty easy, i live in sunderland, I'm thinking of just taking it to a garage, if i just loosen all the nipples off will that release all pressure on the callipers ?im going to have to see if i can get somewhere that will pick the car up or get someone who has a towing bar to take me to a garage.

ps feel like throwing a petrol bomb through the window screen of the car :rant:

Having made an enquiry, I am advised that leonk has identified the likely problem with the ABS.

Firstly, disconnect the switch from the ABS pump and see what happens.

Secondly: disconnect the battery for 30 mins.

Third: Do the resets.

If you are not comfortable doing this work yourself you may be best off getting your car to an independent garage - preferably one that knows ZEDs. Not sure where you are but if you post your location up hopefully we can point you to a good garage ;)

Pistons moved freely without any resistance with the cap still on :wacko:

Something doesn't seem right there, how the hell there wasn't any resistance is crazy.

Try the suggestion made by Ebized and see if that fixes the problem otherwise like you say it's a visit to a garage. Not sure in Sunderland who would be best, hopefully somebody will suggest a reputable place :thumbs:

Good luck I feel for you in this one, highly annoying!

Having made an enquiry, I am advised that leonk has identified the likely problem with the ABS.

Firstly, disconnect the switch from the ABS pump and see what happens.

Secondly: disconnect the battery for 30 mins.

Third: Do the resets.

If you are not comfortable doing this work yourself you may be best off getting your car to an independent garage - preferably one that knows ZEDs. Not sure where you are but if you post your location up hopefully we can point you to a good garage ;)

tried doing all that mate and no luck think I'm just gonna get nissan to look at it, hopefully not to expensive taking it to them but if it gets fixed thats the main thing :thumbs:

Pistons moved freely without any resistance with the cap still on :wacko:

Something doesn't seem right there, how the hell there wasn't any resistance is crazy.

Try the suggestion made by Ebized and see if that fixes the problem otherwise like you say it's a visit to a garage. Not sure in Sunderland who would be best, hopefully somebody will suggest a reputable place :thumbs:

Good luck I feel for you in this one, highly annoying!

im gonna go for nissan mate as a lot of the garages round my way are meant to be pretty poor hopefully there some decent lads at the nissan garage :thumbs:

You don't mean Evans Halshaw Nissan next to DFS on the A1231 do you :headhurt:

Jesus. They're useless.

Seriously. Call Falcon Performance in M'boro. They have lots of experience with Zeds.

You don't mean Evans Halshaw Nissan next to DFS on the A1231 do you :headhurt:

Jesus. They're useless.

Seriously. Call Falcon Performance in M'boro. They have lots of experience with Zeds.

i would have no way of getting the car up there mate or i would do that

just got in the car there and the pads are still solid on the discs, but i can pump the brake pedal about an inch continuously and it doesn't go solid at the point where i cannot pump it anymore, when i was bleeding the nipples this morning i was pumping it in the car and my dad was loosening then tightening the nipples and the pedal was going solid to a point where it could not be pushed down, could this mean there is a seal gone somewhere ? there doesn't seem to be any fluid leaking from the calliper but i have not had the pads out to look closer.

anybody got any more suggestions with the new information iv provided

Muchos gracias

And how do you plan on getting it to Nissan?

You can't exactly roll/drive it onto a low loader.

Nissan will charge you a small fortune for "abnormal recovery". May as well speak to Falcon and compare prices.

Seriously, I can't stress enough how much I advise against taking your car to any Nissan dealership in the North East - especially Evans Halshaw. I have extensive experience with many of the franchises in and around the NE, and the only one I trust is in Willington which is even further from you than M'Boro.

What happens if you start again? Like, right from the start. Remove a wheel, take the pads out, push the pistons back in, replace the pads, check fluid, rinse and repeat. All with the top off the reservoir, of course ;)

I know you said you bled the calipers, but try starting from scratch and see what happens.

Hmm perplexing this one for sure :bangin:

Where I would go if you haven't given up or petrol bombed the car :scare:

When you and your dad were bleeding the brakes was fluid freely flowing on each down stroke of the brake Pedal? I assume not????

I think your ABS control has a valve jammed or an air lock.

Also if you loosen the bleed nipples on the calipers (engine running) does the fluid keep coming out under pressure without the brake pedal pressed?

Like Ekona says do one wheel at a time and make sure it spins freely with the wheel on before you drop it down.

That should rule out mechanical interference issues, if it then locks up when you start the car it's a brake control issue.

OP says....

i had the car up on the jack stands this morning took all the wheels off i took the reservoir cap off and bleed the callipers in the correct order after doing this the wheels where able to move, when i re fitted the wheels and took of the jack stands and went to pull away same thing happened all wheels were locked on i can just drive but you can hear the brakes locked on.

So if I'm reading this right, with the ignition OFF, once the pressure is released at the bleed nipples, wheels rotate freely, still with the ignition off, you pump the pedal and still all is o.k, wheels move?

Next step, ignition on, engine off....... ,wheels move? ABS fault

Next step, ignition on, engine on......wheels move? ABS or Servo fault.

I know it's frustrating, but I don't think you have done any serious damage, just think the system needs pressure bleeding. As a long shot you could try pulling the ABS fuse or disconnecting the feed to the ABS pump and see if that works?

OP says....

So if I'm reading this right, with the ignition OFF, once the pressure is released at the bleed nipples, wheels rotate freely, still with the ignition off, you pump the pedal and still all is o.k, wheels move?

Next step, ignition on, engine off....... ,wheels move? ABS fault

Next step, ignition on, engine on......wheels move? ABS or Servo fault.

I know it's frustrating, but I don't think you have done any serious damage, just think the system needs pressure bleeding. As a long shot you could try pulling the ABS fuse or disconnecting the feed to the ABS pump and see if that works?

you cant powerbleed the system on the 350z as far as I'm aware..