brakes seized car will not move just replaced

ho02pey90

evening all

i started this morning 8:00am taking my brake discs of front and rear and replaced them with ebc slotted and grooved discs all round and also ebc red stuff pads, i started with the rear then moved onto the front just as i was finishing the front i noticed something dripping under my car i checked the brake reservoir and it had overflowed and leaked everywhere i soaked up what was left of it till it went to just below max, as i put the wheels on lowered back down the car off the axle stands got in and started her up tried to pull away but it wouldn't move off i want to move i have to really force it because the brakes seem to be locked any idea how this has happened and what my options are to solve it ?

Many thanks in advance really stuck here!

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm just reread

Why it it above max after you've lost fluid? Air lock?

i can only guess that when i removed the old pads they were about half worn down and when i replace with new pads and pushed the pistons rite back there was less space in the brake lines, when i replace the rear disks and pads the wheels moved fine but when i replaced the front that when they must have locked up, would an air lock cause the brakes to lock on ?

You need to have the brake fluid reservoir open when changing pads and keep checking it as the fluid level will increase and even overspill!!

If you haven't done that and still managed to replace front/rear discs pads then you may have damaged the inner seal of the caliper piston pushing the piston back.

The outer seal is dust seal and it would be cracked already unless your calipers are spanking new.

Make sure fluid level is at max and lid on. Bleeding nipples all tight. Get somebody to push the brake and check the calipers for leakage. If all ok bleed your brakes....think it's nr/nf/or/of or the exact opposite. I am sure there is a guide in the forum anyway.

I don't think it's a case of not capable, it's either ignorance or forgetfulness not to remove the brake fluid reservoir cap. Greekman is spot on about the possibility of rupturing seals, but tbh I'd have thought it would be nigh-on impossible to push the pistons back in with the cap on (especially by hand), so I suspect that the OP did remove the cap.

Did all mine 4 weeks ago,no problems at all,anybody get the impression of someone doing a job they arent capable of doing? :thumbdown:

Yeah, and I'm looking right at you when I get that exact impression.

If you aren't capable of posting something useful, then don't.

The OP asked for advice, not for comments on his abilities.

Did all mine 4 weeks ago,no problems at all,anybody get the impression of someone doing a job they arent capable of doing? :thumbdown:

Yeah I agree, totally condescending and patronizing. Absolutely no need. The guides are on here to help people do it themselves. People muddle things up and that what this club is here for. Completely out of order.

+1 At least he had a go at it :shrug:

Yeah I agree, totally condescending and patronizing. Absolutely no need. The guides are on here to help people do it themselves. People muddle things up and that what this club is here for. Completely out of order.

Understand your comments,but isnt removing the brake fluid cap and checking the level while doing discs and pads the most basic thing to check?

The OP doesn't say if he did or didn't take the cap off.

You are insulting him based on your own assumptions.

Understand your comments,but isnt removing the brake fluid cap and checking the level while doing discs and pads the most basic thing to check?

Totally basic.......so again lets go back to the fact that your comment is still patronising, condacending and largely pointless.

You only learn by making mistakes and receiving useful advice to rectify them.......not from receiving comments about how 'capable' you are.

[mod edit: Now now Paul.....]

Op-

I think your new pads are just tight in the calipers. Remove the pads from each caliper and use a hand file to remove the paint and a fraction of the backing plate where the edge of the backing plate of the pads slides in and touchs the caliper( the leading and trailing edge of the pad- not the friction material itself). Also make sure the caliper is free from debris in the same area.

Once this is done the pads will be able to move in the caliper correctly. Reassemble and test that corner before moving to the next.

How hard have you tried to move the car? I left mine on axle stands for a week with the wheels off while i detailed the car. The first time i tried to move the car it wouldnt have it, (using just the clutch) I had to give it a few k of revs and force it to move. Maybe worth giving it some more ooomph and see how you get on. Well thats what id do. :shrug:

You need to have the brake fluid reservoir open when changing pads and keep checking it as the fluid level will increase and even overspill!!

If you haven't done that and still managed to replace front/rear discs pads then you may have damaged the inner seal of the caliper piston pushing the piston back.

The outer seal is dust seal and it would be cracked already unless your calipers are spanking new.

Make sure fluid level is at max and lid on. Bleeding nipples all tight. Get somebody to push the brake and check the calipers for leakage. If all ok bleed your brakes....think it's nr/nf/or/of or the exact opposite. I am sure there is a guide in the forum anyway.

yea i forgot to release the brake reservoir cap this must have caused the brakes to lock I'm going to get the car on jack stands this morning get the wheels of and have a look see what the damage is will let everyone know what the crack is :)

Do to have after market wheels on your car mate?

Noticed you've been looking for rays.?

nope looking to get some rays iv got the standard GT wheels on at the moment I'm looking to get some rays and get them sprayed in gun metal grey possibly or silver not sure yet :)