False oil warning - anyone else??

rogerxp

Right, I'm beggining to feel like a right numpty here, but my engine oil warning light has been on for around 5 days (flashes up each time start the engine), just got some oil today and before putting it in checked the dipstick. Ok, maybe I should have done this first, but it's showing there's plenty of oil in it already.

Is this just a false warning??

If you remember from another post recently my maintanence reminder has popped up 3 months (and 3,000 miles early) and it was suggested that I needed to just get things reset. I've not been back to the dealer yet (still waiting for some news on my hood) so haven't taken it in. Do you think these things are connected - is an oil change due at it's second service???

Again, sorry for being a right plank here :bangin: .

Doh. So, it's quite likely that the oil light is popping up because it thinks there is maintanence due (assuming we're right in thinking that it simply needs resetting until September), but it's an oil change it needs as opposed to an oil top-up??

If you are sure there is oil in it, get it down the dealer. Its probably the oil sender unit that is goosed.

I'd be tempted to add a few hundred mils of oil, wait a while and see if it goes up the dipstick. I find the 370z pretty easy to read so should be obvious. Only do this if its below H though!

Doh. So, it's quite likely that the oil light is popping up because it thinks there is maintanence due (assuming we're right in thinking that it simply needs resetting until September), but it's an oil change it needs as opposed to an oil top-up??

You have a handbook?

Take a look at 2.19 (Indicators for maintenance)

Here's what it says at 2.34 where you can adjust the timings using the two buttons on the left hand side of the instrument cluster and having opened the vehicle information display in the digital screen next to those buttons. The previous owner/salesman/technician may have set early reminders, hence the warnings .

MAINTENANCE:

The maintenance intervals of the following items

can be set or reset for the reminders.

. OIL

Select this submenu to set or reset the

distance for changing the engine oil.

. FILTER

distance for replacing the oil filter.

. TIRE

distance for replacing tires.

. OTHER

Select this submenu and set or reset the

distance for replacing items other than the

engine oil, oil filter and tires.

To return to the top page of the setting mode,

select “BACKâ€.

That advice will be £50 to the forum please using the donate button which is the yellow button that you will find at the top of this page :p:teeth::lol:

The oil pressure warning is a totally different issue..its to tell you you have low or no oil pressure..it it was true you would not be driving the car...so chances are you have either a poor connection or a duff sender unit (most likely)... no pressure would would make the poor engine sound like a bag of nails and would not run for many seconds......Hope this helps!

Guess what, the fecking warning message has vanished, after I pi**ed about in the settings. I'll post up in a mo what I've got...

Right, got the photos now, one is of the standard 'maintenance' call which doesn't really tell us anything except that perhaps it's showing up too soon. The actually warning message I've been talking about has now vanished since I pi**ed around with the setting in Oil so have taken a shot of that screen instead. Since messing with it this afternoon the reading now says 374/500 whereas before it was 000/000 - I can't say I actually understand what these numbers mean!!!

The original warning message took over the whole of the small screen, in bright orange until you clicked to accept the message, there was a picture of an oil can, and the word Oil, may have said Engine Oil. Can't remember. If it shows up again I'll grab a photo...

In that case, its what Colin described (oil change interval) rather than low oil pressure warning. Low oil pressure will show as a little yellow oil can symbol on the dials rather than the info screen.

Thanks Guys. Seems the warning light has gone away. I'll ask the dealer to reset it all when it's next in.

No problems - oh, BTW:

That advice will be £50 to the forum please using the donate button which is the yellow button that you will find at the top of this page :p:teeth::lol:

:D

why get the dealer to do it when you can do it yourself?

Mmm, apart from a job that takes up all day & a couple of hours or so every evening, and a wife, 5 year old & 9 month old to amuse, plus random other 'chores' I'm delegated, I wouldn't have the first clue where to start (plus surely I'd get my hands dirty too ;) )

why get the dealer to do it when you can do it yourself?

Mmm, apart from a job that takes up all day & a couple of hours or so every evening, and a wife, 5 year old & 9 month old to amuse, plus random other 'chores' I'm delegated, I wouldn't have the first clue where to start (plus surely I'd get my hands dirty too ;) )

You don't get dirty hands by pushing buttons in the cabin....... :blink:

And, by the time you have been to the dealer, you could do it yourself at home and still have more time available than taking it to the dealer. :shrug: