Installing Tablet/Satnav into normal 350z cubby

indy88

Nice update :) How much did the cubby cost??

I've had a look back over the Nook Color install thread I posted up before. After seeing the pic of your cubby and Ash's cubby - it looks like he has cut away all of the running gear for the screen to make the tablet fit :/ I wonder if the lid even still closes? This is a shame as it seems we will only be able to fit units that are easy to dismantle into the cubby, with the screen having to be not much more than 7" diagonal with glass.

I would love to be able to close the lid and hide the tablet from view. But that option seems to be looking more & more complicated, expensive and would yield a less desirable tablet. Maybe I should just hack up my current cubby lol!

Its a dell streak 7. I had to soar the plastic edges off the ends of each side so it would fit in landscape.

The dell streak 7 was probably the worst tablet in the world to take apart as there pretty rare and there are not really any good guides to dismantle it.

The tablet is on the inside so the lid still closes so it is out of view.

THe only problem is I got some really good double sided adhesive, but with the hot weather it slowly but surely started slipping down. I may try it again now the weather is cooled down however I am now seeking a better solution to keep it up. Maybe a metal frame around the edges are screwed into the side of the cubby. I'm not sure yet but when I do find a more permanent solution I will post it up.

I was worried about the sound quality of the tablet however it turned out to be pretty good

• 2 weeks later...

@MattyV6 @indy88 Have you managed to progress any further with this project?

Been snowed in with work the past few weeks mate so not had a chance at all.

I currently have the sat nav cubby and just waiting on an appropriate tablet.

After you mentioned you cut the tablet it got me thinking as the nexus 7 would fit if I cut a bit of the bezel, I was considering doing it at first but dismissed the idea as I assumed the glass would crack.

1.What did you use to cut the tablet?

2. Why did you need to cut the streak in the first place, I thought the 7" screen fits perfectly into the cubby? (or was it because the bezel bit has the digitizer?)

My current plans have changed after seeing a friends MY06 Zed with factory sat nav. His doesnt have any cubby door, the nav is just there in its place.

Im now thinking of removing the cubby completely and creating my own mount for the tablet in its place. Also going to make it removable so we can still use the tablet as a tablet, and put it in the car when wanted. Also means it can be removed for security reasons and easier to transfer files onto it etc etc :)

Ahh thats a bugger then....

Shame it is a nice looking unit.

The 7" market is going to be red hot soon anyway with the new mini iPad coming I am sure a lot more makers will be pushing the boat out and trying to grab a share :thumbs:

One I can find a 7" tablet with BT, GPS, SD card slot, USB, screen that can be put flush behind the cubby then I will be snapping one up to replace my 7" satnav :thumbs:

The screen is 7" but the bezel around it is larger!

The issue with the nexus 7 is that the 7" LCD is fused to the front bezel and is not easily removed, therefore it doesnt fit (unless some of the bezel is cut away)

Could you not modify the cubby space to hold it?

IMAG0326.jpg

But then it would just look like what it is..... a tablet stuck in a cubby :surrender:

• Like 1

The issue with the nexus 7 is that the 7" LCD is fused to the front bezel and is not easily removed, therefore it doesnt fit (unless some of the bezel is cut away)

But then it would just look like what it is..... a tablet stuck in a cubby :surrender:

Sure u could but into cubby and mount there with custom surround

Sure u could but into cubby and mount there with custom surround

It was a big enough pain taking the 7" screen out of my nav and mounting it behind the cubby :blackeye:

thought i would put this in here so i wouldnt start another thread..i too am having difficulty finding right tablet im only interested in it having android and bluetooth so can be compat with my phone and of course fitting! would it be possible to just put in a bluetooth dongle in one of usb ports and be able to run bluetooth normally like that??then can just look for normal tablet that would fit??

thought i would put this in here so i wouldnt start another thread..i too am having difficulty finding right tablet im only interested in it having android and bluetooth so can be compat with my phone and of course fitting! would it be possible to just put in a bluetooth dongle in one of usb ports and be able to run bluetooth normally like that??then can just look for normal tablet that would fit??

The tablet I have has BT,GPS,SD etc

what tablet you got??mine is turning up today got bluetooth and all but no gps but im not that bothered with that as can tether off my phone

always get problems with this stuff though, hard wired throttle controller in yesterday (succesfully) and now no power to my amp :bang:

cant for the life of me see whats unplugged itself or problem!

I got a wm8650 should all fit nicely just got to figure out pwer/volume buttons now :scare:

If you remove the top dash and maybe cut the inside of the cubby away maybe fit a vertical spring plate one side so the tablet sits inside the cubby as far across as the air vents? Spring plate allowing u to have access to removing tablet whenever but still seated inside the cubby? For power button soldering wire to a logic gate NOR to a button on dash as a signal for one off or on?

In page three of this thread someone mentions usb ports... OTG cable £1.50 on amazon.

Just throwing some ideas out there.... lol I don't have the time or tools to start this project but would love to get my nexus 7 in my 350z just bit gutted there bringing a 3g version out in 6 weeks now think I'd re-invest if someone got this project off the ground :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just to update this thread:

I have got myself a Dell Streak 7 - I have installed a custom Honeycomb rom on it and have been testing out a few apps like Copilot (sat nav) and torque etc to make sure its stable and working fine.

I will be researching opening up the tablet etc and look to mounting it in.

I will be wiring the power to the rear power cigarette lighter - So if anyone has any advice/links/pics on:

1) How to open up the interior to get to the cigarette socket

2) How to actually wire up cigarette lighter socket

(The reason why I am using the rear cigarette lighter socket is because Im attaching a USB port which will go in the rear center cubby where the USB from the tablet will run so If I ever need to connect a laptop to it to upload things etc its very easy to do so)

Just some food for thought...

I haven't looked at the Dell streak specifically but the issue I had with a couple of tablets was re-routing the on/off/sleep switch to somewhere more accessible as they are usually on one of the sides of the tablet. eveything else is pretty easy as the rest of the stuff can be hidden behind the screen (such as wiring for chargers etc).