RX-7 yay or nay?

waltzinblack

i love the RX7, awesome cars,

speak to MWtech he knows them inside out. i think he's had about 3

i think they require alot of maintainence and can be expensive, but not as bad as the horror stories make out.

the dash and interior is :cloud9:

I love the RX7, but they're as rare as hens teeth over here, so rare that i've actually never seen one in the flesh. I think in the 3 months I was searching for cars before buying the Zed there was one for sale, but for about £10k. I read somewhere that Mazda might be bringing out a new one soonish :thumbs:

I had one for just over a year / 10,000 miles or so and I loved every minute of it.

It was superb to drive, great to look at, fast, and mine required very little work to keep going in the time I had it.

The reason I sold it was the fuel consumption, I averaged around 12mpg most of the time, and a few tanks of fuel gave me 10mpg, and it didn't make a lot of difference how it was driven, but being stuck in stop-start town traffic was the worst.

Engine rebuilds can be a lot less than £2,000 if you catch it before a rotor tip fails completely, and there are warning signs, but a lot of the time people don't notice those and drive them until they go bang.

Great car.

This was it;

rx7o.jpg

Im not an owner but my freind has one and he change his injector system and has primary and secondery injectors now and is good on fuel 25ish and is running 723 on dyno but is in bit again upgrading turbo for drag racing its mad he said something about the standard injector system has to allways be socked in fuel and the new ones dont thats why they drink the juice no matter how you drive :thumbs:

I've done excessive research into owning an FD.

Some of what I learned:

Buy a standard car. Even so much as changing the exhaust on an FD without thinking of the consequences can cause issues.

Buy a post 1996 car. It comes with the better 16BIT ECU.

Catch a failing engine in time and it can be done for £1k. Sign of a failing engine is refusal/difficulty starting when engine is warm.

Only buy a car that has had a recent compression test done and figures can be proved to you. Anything less than 6.0 you should approach with serious caution and possibility of a rebuild.

TorqueGT will import you a car, and get a fresh rebuild done in the UK, for around £6k all in.

Rear seats are useless. Buy a car that has the storage bins instead.

I had one and loved it. You have to replace the factory water temperature sensor/gauge and keep an eye on everything. In 5 years, short of mods and maintenance, mine cost me nothing!

Best looking car I've ever had!

Japanese performance magazine have a full section on the wankel engine this month. Its pretty good, explaining how it works, how to maintain it, what can go wrong and how to tune it. Its a good read and i would definetly recomend it if your thinking about buying one. Beutiful cars the rx7s

its the only failside kit i like, that and maybe the MR2 widebody.

Mk2 or Mk3? I can't stand the Mk2 veilside kit, and generally dislike Mk3 '2s purely because the Mk1 and Mk2 were great cars for their time/price range but the Mk3 I thought just lacked anything special.

Mk2 or Mk3? I can't stand the Mk2 veilside kit, and generally dislike Mk3 '2s purely because the Mk1 and Mk2 were great cars for their time/price range but the Mk3 I thought just lacked anything special.

100_6018.jpg

this one is an old friend of mines, he sadly passed away when i was a member of the MR2ROC, great guy and alot went into it.

had a mk3 myself loved it, was a great car, the balance and handling was sublime.

alot of the mk2 guys have slowly converted to them as they;ve found out how good the chassis is. and turbo conversions were so cheap and turned it into a right beast. and such an easy car to mod.

i know its not to everyones liking but the little negine in it was great. or the 2zz engine conversion turned it into a great track car.

100_6018.jpg

this one is an old friend of mines, he sadly passed away when i was a member of the MR2ROC, great guy and alot went into it.

had a mk3 myself loved it, was a great car, the balance and handling was sublime.

alot of the mk2 guys have slowly converted to them as they;ve found out how good the chassis is. and turbo conversions were so cheap and turned it into a right beast. and such an easy car to mod.

i know its not to everyones liking but the little negine in it was great. or the 2zz engine conversion turned it into a great track car.

Perry, bless him.

I was supposed to see him at a meet, he didn't turn up, he'd passed on a few days previously. Was quite a shock.

Good man - knew him through Celica Club.

perry was a legend, myself and several of the club went to the funeral.

never met the bloke in person, but he'd given me so much help and time over the forum and we'd chatted alot via PM i kind of felt i knew him. i've never been to a funeral of a person i've never met, but he seemed to have had such a large impact on so many people. His family were lovely, was such a shame.