Considering a Z from an EP3

Type R

Very very useful replies thanks. Especially useful was the Ep3 and integra past owners. The EP3 is great but is only enjoyable when going nuts, no so much daily. Some torque sounds very appealing and the Ep3 is getting far too common, when I see a 350 on the road it always draws my attention has great presence. Get the exam results soon (part time student linked with pay at work) so this goes well I think i'll go for a test drive.

I do drive many hire cars at work, brand new golfs and astras and insignias etc but hate them all, too much wallowing. Hopefully the 350 will be smooth yet still firm and pointy. Starting to look in to maintenance, service stuff next. I.e. try and buy one after when ever the big service is. Looking at the 280bhp one for price reasons really.

Does seem like the perfect overall car, where as my past 2 cars I loved but had drawbacks. i.e. modified almera Gti that was loud and on stiff shocks and knocked my teeth out, lol.

One big issue i;ll need to check is room. I fit in the ep3 but none of these new cars, or my old almera was I comfortable in. Only the ep3 and a primera GT have I ever fit properly in due to long legs.

It would appear for the 280 earlier ones about £8k is a good price for a decent one? I have seen ones cheaper but don't want a dog.

If you want a mint one Vik54 is selling a mint condition one :thumbs:

Just to add my zed is an 07 so the plastics are allot better and the engine is faster again... I can't comment on the older models....

its the same plastic, but the buttons are finished better, + the newer ones are about the same round the track but drive better, are smoother, but weigh more and have less torque.

I had a DC2 Integra R before my Z.

When really pushed the Type R was more fun than the Z, it had more feedback, better turn in (the Z is 200-300Kg more in weight), and at 9Krpm the 1.8l engine sounded like a touring car (helped by a total lack of sound proofing). Not really sure if it was any faster than the Z, but certainly more fun.

But...I sold the DC2 after 10months, where as the Z lasted me nearly 4 years. Mainly because I realised even though the Teg was an amazing driving machine, as a day to day car for dealing with motorways/speedbumps/traffic (had no air-con) I simply couldn't live with it longterm (I was 22 when I bought the Teg). Similarly a Lotus Elise/VX 220 would be even more fun, but I struggled to get in one with the top down.

For day to day driving (95% on the time) the Z beat the Integra hands down. Better looks, much more comfortable, and a stereo that you could actually use at speeds >50mph, and for the other 5% it was fun enough for me :)

As long as your sensible the Z is perfectly safe, I used mine daily for 4 years through rain/snow/ice all on summer tyres..and never got stuck once or even come close to losing the back end on public roads..as some one have said, the Z is very predictable.

I also looked at a S2000/DC5 as replacements to the DC2 Teg, but in all honesty they just weren't as "special" to drive as the Teg, and the way the engine delivered the power felt far too similar to the Teg and I just couldn't get away from the feeling the DC2 Teg was the peak of the Type R brand and everything else after wards was just Honda trying to recreate the magic...where as the 350Z has a complete different feel, and actually made me understand what the term "torque" actually meant :lol:

So in summary, I think the Z will be more dull to drive compared to the EP3, but on the other hand the Z is actually a car non-petrol heads (girls included ;) ) actually appreciate, and for day to day use theres no comparison, the Z wins every time!!

:welcome:

Previous to the Zed, I had an Integra DC2 for about 8years. Absolutely loved that car, and that was the reason I kept it so long. Handling was sweet, always made you smile and that engine was very addictive.

When it sold, I was looking at s2ks as a replacement but couldn't justify the crazy insurance premiums they had. Test drove a few and loved the way they felt, seemed a very natural progression from the teg.

I've had the Zed for a few months now (gt4 edition) and am enjoying more and more with time. The first thing you notice is the sheer weight of it. It is not a nimble car, but as a result feels very well planted. The handling is therefore probably the opposite end to the itr/ctr but enjoyable once you get use to it. The really enjoyable thing about the zed it the noise. That v6 (mine as aftermarket induction + exhaust) sounds immense and driving it, there seems to be more of a sense of occasion.

I think both cars are great, but for different reasons. Anyway, that's just my two pence worth. Good luck with the search mate :thumbs:

Best advise is to drive one and see what you think. Personally I like the torque and the sound of the v6.I work on subarus and they are great fun if driven keeping turbo in but everything on them pricey.My mate has an s2000 which I have just put an engine in and when road tested it felt very gutless to and even when he took me out in it but he's honda mad and tells me it's fine.The rwd thing is something you just get used to and having also worked on alot of MG TF's although mid engined still rwd and the zed will out handle any of them.

It's also a lot more fun when driven at 9/10ths, but that may because of the extra skill needed.

S2k to my mind needs a lot more skill, care and attention to drive fast than the zed

so so true,

the zed is a great all round car, anyone can drive it and get alot out of it with minimal skill, the S2K when you get it right is so rewarding. you have to use the gears more, you really need to move up and down the range alot to keep it in the sweet spot, and with some good heel and toe, the high revs all the changes and the engine singing with the roof down it all just pulls together as a superb experience man and machine in harmony. i still miss my Stook :cry: if i had the cash i'd buy another as a track toy :blush: or something similiar

Came from an EP3 myself. The Zed had looks to die for, sounded amazing and I'd always longed for one. In the end I just didn't gel with it. As others have said, it just didn't put the smile on my face that the Type R did. With the Type R I'd go for a quick spin just for the hell of it, and was still doing so 6 years in.

As with any purchase like this test drive first. Unfortunately, it took about 6 months of ownership before I realised the Zed was not really the car for me.

Different horses for different courses as they say.......I’m now back in a hot hatch....and loving it :)

I changed from an Fiesta ST to the Zed so had a bit of a scrabbler myself. Over uneven roads ATM I can say I would have been apexing a bit faster in the ST (I think a lot of it is to do with confidence) but on a good road when things feel right then the Zed is in a world of its own in comparison. I always used to play with EP3's and although they were marginally quicker in reality there was nothing in it in my experiences despite the power/0-62 differences so I feel im in a position to comment. For everything the press say the Fiesta was a cracking little car. Quick enough, good brakes, nice chassis but always should have had an extra 20bhp as standard.

I drove the ST after I had been in the Zed for 2 weeks, and I hated it. It felt slow, not particularly planted and the balance felt off. Would I go back now? Definately not. I dont think you will regret the purchase.

I went from a VTEC Prelude 2.2 to my Zed and have never looked back, it is a daily driver and as much as I loved my Prelude, the Zed is superior in every way. I have owned it for 2 years now, and I haven't ever felt like I was going to crash, again as other people have stated I guess it is all down to how you drive.

And to balance it up Ive got a GTI-6 and would be hard pushed to choose between the two cars. Quite different driving experiences but each can be just as rewarding as the other.

My view (and I kow a lot of people who have owned them share it) is that the S2K is an awesome car when you are on maximum attack mode, for anything else its a bit annoying. Unless you have a racetrack on yoru daily commute I far prefer the Z33 as its more refined, more comfortable, faster and just easier. :thumbs:

I always buy cars with known flaws. Like the Civics fun but a terrible cruiser. My old car was too harsh. Hence I never want to keep them forever. Want to keep Civic I love it, but I also want something else, not sure what to do.

I have an image in my head of the Z though, that it will be a perfect overall car I can keep for a few years. Performance, torque, noise, fun, yet comfortable and well equipped. I like the idea of being able to very comfortably and effortlessly travel around the country in comfort and still be able to go berserk if the right road arises. May have to blow my savings on the Z. I don't think I dare go less than 8K though for fear of buying a lemon.

Still waiting for work to discuss pay rises etc hence the lack of action and all talking, the excitement is building. Hopefully when I view my Z and test drive it won't disappoint! Scoobys don't excite me I have to say. Look a bit cheap, and I think i'd be buying a car with a known flaw again, in that i don't really like them, just for performance, so would probably always feel like I wanted to sell again.

And to balance it up Ive got a GTI-6 and would be hard pushed to choose between the two cars. Quite different driving experiences but each can be just as rewarding as the other.

My view (and I kow a lot of people who have owned them share it) is that the S2K is an awesome car when you are on maximum attack mode, for anything else its a bit annoying. Unless you have a racetrack on yoru daily commute I far prefer the Z33 as its more refined, more comfortable, faster and just easier. :thumbs:

GTi6 are cracking cars, was the 2nd ever car i ever owned, superb little pocket rocket. cracking fun to drive

I have an image in my head of the Z though, that it will be a perfect overall car I can keep for a few years. Performance, torque, noise, fun, yet comfortable and well equipped. I like the idea of being able to very comfortably and effortlessly travel around the country in comfort and still be able to go berserk if the right road arises. May have to blow my savings on the Z. I don't think I dare go less than 8K though for fear of buying a lemon.

I am a great fan of hot hatches and have also had Caterhams and other chuckable things. My objective when I got the 350 was exactly as per your quote above. With a few mild modifications I have achieved that objective. I can see me keeping the 350 for a long time. Good luck whatever you decide. With smooth inputs there is no reason to fear RWD whatsoever.

Dont be fearful. Yes I broke mine but it wasn't really through it being rwd. I think I was a tad unlucky. Thinking about it if I was in fwd I would have gone face first into the ditch. I went back in my wife's massive 4x4 at an even lower speed and it got a little light under steering. Anyone can hit a dodgy road surface at any time. It happens. Don't let someone's bad luck ruin your potential enjoyment of a great car. No car grips if the surface doesn't let it.

I think berserk may be a little optimistic unless you stick a twin turbo on it :lol:

I had Honda CRX Del Sol B16A2 high rev VTEC, I had Honda S2000 high rev VTEC, I have an Accord 2.4 K24Z3 high rev VTEC. I love them all for their strong personality and high revs are a joy. All those engines are technological masterpieces and the B16 and F20 were world records of power per liter NA. F20 was a record of power per liter NA from 2000 to 2010 when Ferrari managed to beat it but an extremely higher price.

Now I have since a few weeks a Nissan 2007 350z Roadster GT VQ35HR.

The S2000 is a great car which I used to stare at just for the joy of admiring her simple lines and think about that I have in my yard 2 world technological records: HP per liter NA and the speed of the piston in cylinder of 25 m/s. But the fun starts at 6000 RPM, you need to get on mountain roads or track to enjoy this car and this is only max 10% of the driving time. It is definitely a weekend summer car. On mountain roads with the top down I had very much satisfaction driving her but in town is a pain in the ass and she has a tail happy attitude. You have to be careful and pay much attention to the road surface, otherwise you have surprises. I am 1.87 m and fit at the limit in the S2000. The S2000 is also noisy and I am not speaking about the drive train only, the interior is spartan and you only have the strictly necessary space.

The Z is a more comfortable car which you can enjoy even in town and can be used daily. The engine is also a joy and it keeps the satisfaction of high revving, 7500 RPM of the HR is not negligible and the engine feels happy practically at any RPM. It is for sure a performance tradition sportscar with a great history and it is very quick. Feels a little heavy but the sound of the V6 and the exhaust is wonderful. Anyway, it is a performance car for sure and it has been designed for track use not for cruising. It is quicker than the S2000, the steering feels sharp and precise. It is less tail happy than the S2000 and with the traction control on you are safe as long as you are not stupid.

For those who think that the Z is not matching the S2000 capabilities on track I recommend this video of Best Motoring:

Those guys really know how to drive cars and push them to the limit. The S2000 is quicker on exists from corners but the Z counterparts this easily.

As a conclusion, I would want both cars, no question about it. I had this dilemma and still have it. But if you can afford the running costs of the Z and want to enjoy it every day it gives you much satisfaction. At a resonable price you keep the tradition pure blood sportscar attribute, you have a track quick car, it has personality and you are the Porsche Boxter owner's nightmare.

:welcome:

I know there has been alot already but im an ex honda owner as well and thought it might be relevant as I am only 20 and love my cars, already had 6.

I used to have a modified crx (b16a1) with nearly 200bhp and it flew and stuck to the road like it was on rails. It was great fun on the track and country roads out to the seaside and all that round at 8500 rpm just sitting behind a car at 5000 just waiting to pull out to overtake and hit vtec just as you pull out :blush:

But. for everyday driving it was horrible.

I sold the car anyway looking for something a bit more refined but still can have fun in. After weeks on autotrader and piston heads been slightly limited as I was only 19 and insurance been what it is.

A couple of weeks later I was looking at the fn2, always loved the interior and vtec. i test drove a couple and then went to look at one at a performance garage with all the usuals aston's, porsches, evo's ect.

There was also a couple of 350z's which caught my eye straight away and have always kind of liked them but just never considered been able to afford one or the insurance, after having a poke around and look at insurance i decided to test drive one and instantly fell in love with it :cloud9: that was just sat in it lol

I took it for a test drive and was amazed the seating position the noise and the ease of power under your foot and also how connected it felt. So that was it agreed I wanted one and so be it bought one.

I still love it now but a couple of bad points for me are the fuel is quite a bit worse then I first thought.

And the main one been two seats i thought at first why would i need more seats but more and more things keep popping up where i wish i had 4 or 5 seats.

am now looking at a new car for when I turn 21 (not because I don't like the zed believe me if I could add two more seats to it :teeth: ) and the big engine n/a power has definetly got me i also own a 2.8 vr6 golf for touring europe and most recently looking at a bmw m3 3.2 inline six.

IMO i think you will like it but then again everyone is different.

You can still drive the zed hard and have a lot of fun in it but just have to be more careful with the power been there all the time just about just because your low in the rev range doesnt mean you can just plant it especially if its wet.

This is a steady slow process of a car transition by the way. The prices seem to vary widely. From 6-13K.

Would say, £7.5k get a decent car, or would I definitely need to spend over 8? Difficult to gauge quality over pistonheads and auto trader. Not sure how you guys faired.