Help plse - urgent advice needed..

sipar69

I have long awaited and much needed trip to Devon planned tomorrow. Cleaning the Z today I noticed this on the side wall of the tyre.....

It's about 1cm long and 3-4 mils deep.

There is no air escaping from the tyre and from what I can tell it's just a gash in the rubber rather than through to anything else. I really don't want to have to postpone my trip but obviously I'm not going to put my other half and myself in danger. Grateful for any thoughts on whether it would be ok to do the drive to Devon if I take it easy... (it takes a couple of hours). :wave:

20120628_170758.jpg

Thanks - it does look like it might be deliberate which surprises me because we live on a nice quiet road with really decent neighbours and not many people passing through :shrug: It seems odd that the car hasn't been scratched and none of the tyres have any damage. The cut is slightly curved as well so I'm not sure if it was a knife. I found an old screw near the tyre but I don't see how it could have got into the tyre... :shrug:

Are the other 3 tyres OK?

If so and the wear is less than half of the tyre when new you should be alright with just one matching replacement tyre.

If the wear is more than half then I would say 2 new front tyres. But as the rears are likely to be more worn, but not due for replacement, I would advise you again replace like for like. Unless that is you have in mind a different tyre choice in mind stick with what you know and have found fine.

On mine I had tramlining issues which has been sorted by changing to Ultrac Sessantas which I am very pleaed with, but as most 370 owners seem happy with the Stones, stick with them :thumbs:

Are the other 3 tyres OK?

If so and the wear is less than half of the tyre when new you should be alright with just one matching replacement tyre.

If the wear is more than half then I would say 2 new front tyres. But as the rears are likely to be more worn, but not due for replacement, I would advise you again replace like for like. Unless that is you have in mind a different tyre choice in mind stick with what you know and have found fine.

On mine I had tramlining issues which has been sorted by changing to Ultrac Sessantas which I am very pleaed with, but as most 370 owners seem happy with the Stones, stick with them :thumbs:

Cheers Colin. Other tyres are all fine. My faith in human nature has also been restored slightly by my other half pointing out that there are some slight scuffs near the damage which make it look like it was not a stab - but something done when driving (no idea how though - we did go on some quite rough roads on a trip to Derbyshire recently - might have been then....).

• 1 month later...

Sidewall damage will be a new tyre IMHO- that's the advice i've had from tyre fitters in the past.

Get it checked/ changed and have a great trip!

Hi - thanks for the advice - bit late though :) - my trip was in June.

Took the tyre to a local fitter - they had a good look and assured me it was only cosmetic - just in the outer rubber so no need for a new tyre. :thumbs:

Sidewall damage will be a new tyre IMHO- that's the advice i've had from tyre fitters in the past.

Get it checked/ changed and have a great trip!

+1.......thats a nasty one. I can't see any garage saying that its fine even if it is.......they'll cover their arse and take 150 quid off you for a new tyre.

Sorry but cant see if you have attached a picture with your original post and i cant see pictures on my computer at work, but if i'm reading it right.

If there is any cut in the tyre no matter how small which exposes cords, then the tyre is illegal, get it changed if only for the safety side of things

It was just cosmetic - not through the outer rubber.

I took it to a local trye fitter and he said it was fine. Considering that he would have an interest in selling me a tyre I could see no reason not to accept his advice.

I took it to a local trye fitter and he said it was fine. Considering that he would have an interest in selling me a tyre I could see no reason not to accept his advice.

Deffo - there is no way he would have taken any chance on telling you that if it wasn't anything other than safe........simply not worth his hassle.

Or he's a mong and your going to crash...........either way you save the price of a new tyre :#1:

Deffo - there is no way he would have taken any chance on telling you that if it wasn't anything other than safe........simply not worth his hassle.

Or he's a mong and your going to crash...........either way you save the price of a new tyre :#1:

:lol::bangin:

• 2 weeks later...