Vertical Tonneau - EDIT - DONE WITH PICS

jjt

Well I'm bored with mine getting in the way of stuff I want to put in the boot - afaik it's an original one as it has oem looking brackets holding it in. Have a look on Saturday if you want Buster?

I know it’s not the same, but the principle idea for fabrication would be similar….

I made a rear seat delete kit for my TT. I used cardboard to mock up a template and then used some MDF as Matt says. Just keep cutting the cardboard till you get it right.

I then covered it with acoustic carpet (readily available on eBay). Whole lot cost me about 20 quid. Audi want over £1000 for their version!! :scare:

100_2688.jpg

100_2687.jpg

Thankfully it highlighted that I really didn’t need rear seats and I ended up buying a proper car…

:clap::yahoo:

Well I'm bored with mine getting in the way of stuff I want to put in the boot - afaik it's an original one as it has oem looking brackets holding it in. Have a look on Saturday if you want Buster?

will do....always one of the items i wish mine had come with. :teeth:

• 2 weeks later...

OK, so the rain held off for a bit so finally managed to get the tonneau made.

Got some good quality plywood from a local builders merchants, c.£6 for double what I actually needed. Made a template out of card then cut the plywood with a jigsaw and sanded down.

photo1-2.jpg

Next I got some upholsterers foam off ebay for about £7 and glued on both sides with spray glue from an aerosol.

photo2-2.jpg

I wrapped it in acoustic carpet which was had off ebay for about £6 (more than twice as much as I needed again, I wasn't too confident), using the spray glue to secure, then a staple gun around the edges (which are hidden when in place). Finished off by getting the edges sewn all around, which wasn't strictly necessary but looks really neat.

Daytime pic:

photo4-2.jpg

Nighttime pic to see if there were actually any imperfections in the fitting, which there are none

photo3-2.jpg

Overall more than happy with the result, reduces road roar and exhaust drone massively, as well as hiding away anything in my boot. Bargain mod which looks and feels OEM. :thumbs:

Awesome work mate! I take my hat off to you for trying it, can i ask how did you attach it when in place and did you make one for both sides of the brace? Or can you see the back of the one you have made from inside the boot?

Awesome work mate! I take my hat off to you for trying it, can i ask how did you attach it when in place and did you make one for both sides of the brace? Or can you see the back of the one you have made from inside the boot?

Cheers, I just made sure the size was perfect, so it stays in place on its own. The carpet has a bit of give in it as well, so when its in place it takes a good whack from the boot side to get it out. Only the one side was needed, but I did all the staple gunning / stitching down the edges which aren't seen when in place, so it looks neat enough to be used either way round :thumbs: