(Acute Zedititis Sufferers ONLY) A Quiet Weekend -

ianphampton

A Quiet Weekend

Last weekend the gf went to one of her old friends who has new puppies . . . . . and left me at home so I had a nice quiet weekend all to myself.

So, this meant I could spend time playing with the Zed, but as it was raining I took the opportunity to replace the hose from the plenum to the servo. When I bought " . .a complete set" of Samco hoses, it always bugged me that they didn't send one for here - I guess because it's reinforced for the pressure, but this black hose looked out of place amongst all the other ones.

(You'll see why I said this is only for people who have the acute form of Zeditis - the fact that a black hose in the engine bay bugged me shows how badly I have the disease. . . ) Anyway - picture of before with arrow to said hose:

2012-06-13ServoHoseBeforearrow.jpg

Because it's reinforced, I decided I had to make an aluminium tube the right shape and then put the new Silicone Hose over that. I had bought the silicone hose from Race-Spec Performance on eBay for £4.89 - the tube came from B&Q and after that all I needed was the Tube Former and tube cutters (in the shed with the Central Heating stuff) and a plot of the shape needed . . . all staightforward enough.

Race-Spec-Performance.jpg

2012-06-11FormingAlumTubeFinished.jpg

Then carefully (with plenty of grease) you twist and push the aluminium tube through the silicone, cut to length, and Hey! Presto! Ready to refit.

2012-06-13ServoHoseAfter.jpg

Care when putting it back through the grommet and then - replace the Carbon Fibre cover to the finished result.

2012-06-13EngineBayGAAfter.jpg

Now, that was a very nice weekend, No shopping, No hassle, a nice little job done on the Zed and a few beers afterwards!

:notworthy::thumbs::clap: A man clearly after my own heart :)

A Quiet Weekend

Last weekend the gf went to one of her old friends who has new puppies . . . . . and left me at home so I had a nice quiet weekend all to myself.

So, this meant I could spend time playing with the Zed, but as it was raining I took the opportunity to replace the hose from the plenum to the servo. When I bought " . .a complete set" of Samco hoses, it always bugged me that they didn't send one for here - I guess because it's reinforced for the pressure, but this black hose looked out of place amongst all the other ones.

(You'll see why I said this is only for people who have the acute form of Zeditis - the fact that a black hose in the engine bay bugged me shows how badly I have the disease. . . ) Anyway - picture of before with arrow to said hose:

2012-06-13ServoHoseBeforearrow.jpg

Because it's reinforced, I decided I had to make an aluminium tube the right shape and then put the new Silicone Hose over that. I had bought the silicone hose from Race-Spec Performance on eBay for £4.89 - the tube came from B&Q and after that all I needed was the Tube Former and tube cutters (in the shed with the Central Heating stuff) and a plot of the shape needed . . . all staightforward enough.

Race-Spec-Performance.jpg

2012-06-11FormingAlumTubeFinished.jpg

Then carefully (with plenty of grease) you twist and push the aluminium tube through the silicone, cut to length, and Hey! Presto! Ready to refit.

2012-06-13ServoHoseAfter.jpg

Care when putting it back through the grommet and then - replace the Carbon Fibre cover to the finished result.

2012-06-13EngineBayGAAfter.jpg

Now, that was a very nice weekend, No shopping, No hassle, a nice little job done on the Zed and a few beers afterwards!

Great job and looks spot on.

Are you aware the oem pipe has a one way vacuum valve?

I've also been looking at replacing the servo hose to braided. My solution is to cut the hose in half. Retain the valve and set that inside the brake reservoir area then join the braided hose to the existing oem valves hose. The other end then simply joins to the plenum.

I've been very concerned about this hose after discussing with a Nissan GTR mechanic, loved what I had done to my car but strongly advised not to mess too much with this hose due to the valve and it's purpose associated with the brake servo.

I'm still going to go against his recommendation, but to ensure the valve and vacuum are not affected from oem specifications by retaining the valve.

I'm pleased to know that you were listening to me Ian :lol::thumbs:

I've also been looking at replacing the servo hose to braided. My solution is to cut the hose in half. Retain the valve and set that inside the brake reservoir area then join the braided hose to the existing oem valves hose. The other end then simply joins to the plenum.

I've been very concerned about this hose after discussing with a Nissan GTR mechanic, loved what I had done to my car but strongly advised not to mess too much with this hose due to the valve and it's purpose associated with the brake servo.

I'm still going to go against his recommendation, but to ensure the valve and vacuum are not affected from oem specifications by retaining the valve.

I didn't notice this until your post - Many Thanks. I'll revert to your plan and cut the oem pipe inside the brake reservoir area and join in to this, based on the logic that they wouldn't put the one way valve in unless it was performing some necessary function. . . . . another job for this coming weeknd! Thanks again :thumbs:

I'm pleased to know that you were listening to me Ian :lol::thumbs:

Of course I listen, hence whilst at Nissan managed to get hold of a knowledgable chap rather than a Nissan Micra kinda mechanic and put the same question to him.

I was initially looking to find out which way the valve flows so that I could potentially just insert a valve in the right direction into the new braided hose. But looking at using the oem valve and joining the pipe to equally suitable braided joins and hose.