Painting Engine Bay Opinions Please + Question.

Greddy-Matt

Hi all

Ok so I've started painting bits and bobs in my engine bay and tidying up the car in general, I've gone two tone in metalic graphite and blade silver metalic, all fairly straight forward so far, this car is a real pleasure to work on! So far I've done:

Plenum + little bracket at the back

TB

Strut brace

Pop charger heat shield

All wiring harness cable brackets (didn't think as they are mostly hidden by the engine cover :headhurt: )

Plastic battery and brake surrounds and covers

Engine cover

Cam / Timing cover - painted in black wrinkle paint (looks ok but not sure I'm that keen on it)

At the moment it looks like this (it was peeing with rain so pic is not great!):

enginebay.jpg

DSC00724.jpg

DSC00725.jpg

DSC00726.jpg

DSC00733.jpg

DSC00730.jpg

DSC00732.jpg

Graphite is pretty in the sun:

strutbraceclose.jpg

Seeing the car like this was a bit unnerving tho:

Ohdeargod.jpg

I really want to paint the front slam panel that surrounds the bonnet release etc right across the front of the car at the bottom of the pic, does anyone know what it's made of? It looked like plastic, but someone else said it's composite?? Reason I ask is that it needs to be wet sanded to get rid of the flash lines and small marks but I don't want to wreck it! If anyone knows if wet sanding with a fine grade will be ok I would really appreciate knowing.

Also thought I'd tidy up the front grill as the rusty old chicken wire look was one of the things I hated when I bought the car:

Before:

oldgrill2.jpg

oldgrill.jpg

After:

newgrill.jpg

newgrill2.jpg

I've got quite a shopping list, oil cap, rad cap, polished tanks / reservoirs, carbon intake pipe and slam panel etc etc, but I desperately need to change the hoses and clamps as they really let the bay down at the moment, was trying to find braided or over braided hoses to cover the wiring harness etc but a decent quality kit seems to be impossible to find, anyone have any pointers for where to get that sort of thing?

Opinions welcome :thumbs:

Thanks for the offer but I've got my heart set on a carbon fibre one :cloud9:

Painted up the front slam panel today, if anyone else is looking to do it DONT wet and dry it, it's not plastic, live with the moulding lines because it does not like being flatted back....

photo-1-1.jpg

photo.jpg

Ready for a carbon cooling panel and begging for some hoses now 'tho not sure on colour....

That's correct it's not plastic, it's Carbon.

I've seen a few Zeds on my350 who have taken the same path and I prefer it, I've always hated the dull look of the carbon and the way it's been formed.