Crunching when going into 6th Gear

bazk87

So I've had the 370 for a few months now and I've always found the gear shifts a bit stiff, I didn't pay much attention to it and just thought I needed to be a bit more positive with my shifts.

Then yesterday I was driving the car like it should be driven and I slowed down a bit going from 3rd to 6th when I heard a terrible crunch. It only seems to happen when the road speed is a bit higher. Going into 6th at around 30-45 is fine. It's worrying and disheartening t hear your car make this awful noise.

Anyone got any ideas?

Are you using the syncro-rev? If not try it, and remember it works on upshifts as well as downshifts. ;)

I've never had "terrible crunch" though in the two and half years and 17k miles I have have driven my 370 :shrug:

Take it to the dealers before the warranty is up, could end up expensive. Mines a 10 plate, 22k on the clock and no problems. Ask to take one of the techs out and demo it to them.

To be fair I 've always found Nissan to be pretty good with any issues I've had.

I'm using synchro rev all the time. I know, from looking on the US forum it seems to be a relatively common issue, alot of people are saying usually it's a new transmission and that would be massively expensive outside of warranty. I've an aftermarket exhaust. can't see that voiding warranty though.

• 1 year later...

Had this issue, exactly as described and after 17k miles. The gearbox crunched going into 6th gear if the engine speed was high or the engine was under load. There was a slight vibration through the gearstick before, that the new gearbox doesn't have.

The diagnosis - synchro had failed on the gearbox. Replacement gearbox and associated parts under warranty.

Edited by AJRFulton

Sorry to hijack,

But do you get vibration through the gear stick? I used to get it in my 350. But i thought it had been sorted in the newer cars.

Certainly didnt expect it in my 370.

I also get the vibration

And strugle wroth 6th

I've got a bit of warranty left but add I like to keep my cars is disappointing that this could be future problem