Span my Z on a dual carriageway...

andyh83

Not sure if this should be here or in off-topic, if it's the wrong place sorry.

So! I was merrily driving down the dual carriageway, pretty straight road, I had geared up about a second or 2 earlier and seemed to have traction perfectly fine, then the back end just snapped out. I quickly found myself, in neutral, steering my car in reverse cursing myself for the bill I was gonna get if I hit that central barrier about 12 inches to the left of me, not a nice place to be but I seemed to get control of the car and bring the speed down. Everything got a little fuzzy from there to be honest, the next thing I remember clearly was pulling into the hard shoulder - I was driving forwards at this point, not sure whether I span it again or stopped and turned. So I quickly jumped out of my car and ran to the only person that had pulled over to check she was ok, she was just relieved I was fine and after a quick laugh went on her merry way.

I didnt hit anything during the whole incident thankfully.

Can anyone hazard a guess as to what may have gone wrong? Tyres are all less than 2k old, ultrac sessantas. The road was dry, and couldnt have been much straighter. I was accelerating fast-ish, but not stupidly. I looked at the road, and there are several different surfaces there, I can see that possibly being a contributing factor but id imagine a small one. im not sure what else could have contributed, if anyone has any questions let me know.

Also is there anything I should be checking over on the car after this?

Cheers!

:scare: Glad it didn't cause any damage, must've shat yourself a little though.

Did the traction control come on at all?

I'd check the suspension links are all tight and together, you may also want to check your alignment on the rear. I've just added camber arms and bolts and driving to the alignment centre the rear toe felt like it was forcing me off the road, especially under hard acceleration/braking.

I had heard alot about these Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta tyres.

Let me say now that I will not be trying them after the theads on here this week! :scare:

On a serious note- check the tyres out or have them checked out for you.

Blimey, spin at dual carriageway, very glad to hear both you and car are ok! :thumbs:

If it was dry and you were only accelerating at 7 tenths on decent tyres, my only thought can be a patch of something on the road, either diesel or oil etc - hope you work it out!

:scare: Glad it didn't cause any damage, must've shat yourself a little though.

Did the traction control come on at all?

I'd check the suspension links are all tight and together, you may also want to check your alignment on the rear. I've just added camber arms and bolts and driving to the alignment centre the rear toe felt like it was forcing me off the road, especially under hard acceleration/braking.

Funnily enough all I thought about while it was happening was the bill when I hit the barrier. When id pulled over I was just praying to god nobody else had been hurt because of me.

Im not sure about the traction control to be honest, I normally notice it light up, I didnt this time butthat doesnt mean it didnt go off. It all happened very fast, adrenaline was pumping lol.

Ill make sure to have the suspension looked over, and I wanted the tracking done again anyway so ill just bring that forward to this week cheers!

I had heard alot about these Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta tyres.

Let me say now that I will not be trying them after the theads on here this week! :scare:

On a serious note- check the tyres out or have them checked out for you.

The tyres have honestly performed a lot better than the standard RE040s. From my experience on them so far, theyd be the last thing id blame, but im far from an expert.

Anything in particular to look forwith them? Ive already checked them for damage, everything looks fine.

Blimey, spin at dual carriageway, very glad to hear both you and car are ok! :thumbs:

If it was dry and you were only accelerating at 7 tenths on decent tyres, my only thought can be a patch of something on the road, either diesel or oil etc - hope you work it out!

Im going to head back later and take a look when its quiet, theres a bridge directly over where I span so I should be able to see if there is anything on the road and try and inform someone to get it cleared up.

If your car is mechanically sound it sounds like you must've hit diesel. Even a small patch is evil. I've been unfortunate enough to hit diesel on a motorcycle, it's slicker than ice.

+1 nasty stuff guaranteed to make the old brown light flash

Or save the cash and stay in, you cannot be that lucky twice in one week :D

Glad nobody was hurt and no damage, I would buy a lottery ticket and a packet of 3 for the Guildford date as it's your lucky week :wink:

Well I went to the bridge I thought was just before I span, theres some kind of spillage on there thats been covered in grit/sand or something, its covering about 3m on one side od the road/pavement, and looks like it may have spilt down onto the dual carriageway below. I have no idea if its diesel or not, ive never used the stuff lol.

Anybody got a clue who this can be reported too? It may be completely unrelated, but id hate for someone else to end up in a similar spin and potentially come off worse if it is diesel and as bad as it sounds.

Well I went to the bridge I thought was just before I span, theres some kind of spillage on there thats been covered in grit/sand or something, its covering about 3m on one side od the road/pavement, and looks like it may have spilt down onto the dual carriageway below. I have no idea if its diesel or not, ive never used the stuff lol.

Anybody got a clue who this can be reported too? It may be completely unrelated, but id hate for someone else to end up in a similar spin and potentially come off worse if it is diesel and as bad as it sounds.

highway agency or police

highway agency or police

+1 hope you got it reported ASAP. If its got sand on it then it will very likely be a Diesel spill and obviously they havent cleaned it up properly :headhurt:

Glad you're ok though, that would have been scary :scare:

Sorry to here about your accident. I spun my Niz on a 40 limit. The road was wet, and I just had two new front Avon tyres fitted by Halfrauds. The other two were not in stock, after ordering 4. They promised to check the rear tyres to ensure they were fit for the road. After the accident the Police checked the tyres. They were woooofully under inflated, thus not checked at all. Fuming as I had my 3 year old in the car. Niz was a wright off............... :rant:

Glad you and the the car are fine.

I've had the Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta tyres on my Zed for about a year and so far no issues, in fact, I quite rate them.

Hope you get to the bottom of it. :)