Throttle Body Clean..Couple of questions

Dicky

Searched the subject and read a few posts but left with a couple of easy questions for you experts.

1 Is it only necessary to clean the one face of the butterfly or do both faces get dirty and have to be cleaned?

2 is it only necessary to do the throttle body reset and not the ecu reset as well?

Take a peek at both sides and check for dirt .....no other way to tell.

If your really gentle you may not need to reset but I think its just the TB reset

How do u look at the reverse side. Do u gently move it with a finger or do u remove the whole unit to take a look?

Yes mate take it off.....4 Allan heads i think.... Not terribly easy so be careful you don't drop anything down into the back of the engine.

Don't move the butterfly or yiull deffo upset the TB butterfly and it'll need a reset

Get some carbon cleaner spray from halfords. :thumbs:

Easiest to remove air intake tube away from the throttle body, and as Ricey says 4 Alan bolts and an electrical plug.

Best to use cotton buts and carbon cleaner. You can support the rear of the butterfly with one hand and clean with buds and cleaner with the other.

Advisable to do a TB reset even if you don't think it's moved.

Also be careful of the metal gasket that sits between the TB and plenum as it can be dropped in the engine bay and a bugger to retrieve.

Never mind the throttle body if you want to clean something clean the rear of the tb and inside of the plenum, mine was gopping with carbon and oil @ 41,000 miles....

Now you've got me worried!!

I've read a one or two posts during my search of guys who have reported the same thing, while others said there's was clean. What's going on, could this be a fuel choice issue? Or just dirty filters?

Never mind the throttle body if you want to clean something clean the rear of the tb and inside of the plenum, mine was gopping with carbon and oil @ 41,000 miles....

Now you've got me worried!!

I've read a one or two posts during my search of guys who have reported the same thing, while others said there's was clean. What's going on, could this be a fuel choice issue? Or just dirty filters?

I've got some pics of the inside I'll put up later, I stripped mine out for painting last week and was a little supprised how dirty it was, but a bit of machine cleaner and elbow grease worked a treat! Its definately oil residue for the most part, I'll be investing in a catch can as soon as I find one that works properly and won't need me to remortgage to afford it.

Catch can tested and proven. Run on NA and FI.

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=60545

This one is a better size. I already bought a cheapy toyosports one. Unscrewed it added a copper pipe so the air is diverted down the way. Then drilled some holes in the pipe and used stainless steel scouring pads as a baffle. The only problem is that the can is massive and I have had to make a long pipe for it to fit so it sits near the airbox now.

I'm going to take off the plenum to clean it one day. Do you have to take off the throttle body to take off the top bit of plenum?

• 7 months later...

is there a how to with pics for the throttle body clean including taking it off and cleaning both sides without upsetting the butterfly valve and the bits to look out for etc?? Im sure I came across something once before but can not find anything now?? :shrug:

• 4 weeks later...

Once the air intake is detached from the TB it's a case of 4 hoses and 16bolts and it lifts off.

So the TB is attached to the top part of the plenum.

Can removal of upper plenum be done without removing the strut bar?

Also I can only see one hose attached so far (only had a quick look mind you) with a hose clamp (are these easy to take off and reuse?) all in all is plenum off a laborious task ??

Edited by FUG

Yeah I've got a load of engine degreaser so I can go to town on the bay and p3 service coming up and want to clean pop charger, maf sensor, tb and inside plenum and have it anodised too :thumbs: planning on doing it myself but just wondering how difficult plenum removal is and whether strut bar can be left in place??

• 2 months later...

Started doing this , realised why you need the strut bar off now all cus of the damn guide pins! I've heard these can be removed with 4mm socket (I don't have one) or another method of turning the bolt upside down but need strut bar off for this. Just tried removing one side of strut bar and the bolts are super tight done 3 but last one is so rounded no chance now of removing , any other ideas?? Quick help needed as need car bk together for tonight !! Thanks