Clutch down, problems

sparky370z

Well, after a months of ownership of my 370z i am very pleased.

However, the other night i was mucking about and booted the car from a standstill (naughty i know) but the clutch pedal got stuck down and would not come back up.

I think there was someone talking about this last week. But i cant find the thread.

Is this normal to "save" the clutch/gearbox from abuse?

Should i take this into nissan to have a look?

check your clutch fluid level,

Have had the same problem twice since having my 370, first time, car was 11 months old with 4500 miles on the clock lost clutch pressure while in Germany, got partial pressure back, but took it to a Nissan dealer there, Nissan replaced the CSC (slave cylinder), master cylinder and the Hydraulic pipe in the bell housing under warranty. Then last year lost pressure again so took it in to my local dealer, again it was a defective CSC, so now I check my clutch fluid weekly just in case. It has been noted as a fault in the US as well and a couple of companies i the US now make a more robust after market replacement for the original.

check your clutch fluid level,

Have had the same problem twice since having my 370, first time, car was 11 months old with 4500 miles on the clock lost clutch pressure while in Germany, got partial pressure back, but took it to a Nissan dealer there, Nissan replaced the CSC (slave cylinder), master cylinder and the Hydraulic pipe in the bell housing under warranty. Then last year lost pressure again so took it in to my local dealer, again it was a defective CSC, so now I check my clutch fluid weekly just in case. It has been noted as a fault in the US as well and a couple of companies i the US now make a more robust after market replacement for the original.

Thanks for that! That's really good to know. I'll check all my levels in a min! :thumbs:

It has to go back to Nissan for a few things anyway!

Hi Mark

I had a similar symptom once when the car was about about 6 months old (4k miles). Thought I would do a drag start :teeth: but in my case when I floored the loud pedal it stuck down as I released the clutch which seemed to have the effect of drastic clutch slip and no forward momentum resulting in the usual burning smell you get from an over-worked clutch. I recall I immediately 'released' the loud pedal with toe-hooking as the poor of 370 was banging away on the rev-limiter for just a few seconds, but whether in hindsight it had stuck down or that was my perception I don't know :shrug:

For a few miles afterwards the clutch was obviously a bit hot, but when it had cooled down it was fine and I have never had the problem since with 17k miles on the clock. At the time I wondered if it was something to do with the accelerator sticking - if you go and press yours fully down you will feel a click. I thought there was something amiss but I subsequently learnt the 'click' is to do with the cruise function - i.e. if you decide to floor it when in cruise that 'click' will trip it out of cruise mode.

But given what Neilp says

"My 350z does that. It's the initial torque peak that the clutch cant cope with. If it did engage it would probably destroy the clutch plate"

I kinda wonder if that is what happened to me and it was nothing to do with the accelerator :blush:

The fact I have had nothing further happen in that department to sound warning bells makes me think my slave/master cylinders and clutch fluid level were/are not the issue, but then again perhaps my 'issue' was different :shrug:

Be interested to hear what your dealer says though :thumbs:

This is what i thought, perhaps it was a way to stop the gears engaging under such stress. However this is a sports car after all.

The car has to go into condesation in the rear and front light. So i will ask them about this 'issue'. They probably wont have a clue.

I'll keep you updated colin. :thumbs:

• 2 years later...

I took my 370 in 6 months ago as clutch lost pressure 15000 miles no hard driving.... Put it this way (5 years 15000 miles) Nissan dealership damaged my gear leaver and handed it back working. replacement of the csc, then waited two months for a replacement gear leaver, to then have a screwdriver mark where they had levered the console after putting the gear knob on...They didn't need to do that the thing screws on...now 6 months later I tell them the csc has gone again and they say it's the master cylinder I wait two weeks for repair, and the day Im due to pick it up magik # the csc has now gone # and theyneed two weeks

• 6 months later...

im new to this car and literally have worried myself with this. i just thought i would do a 'launch' but the clutch stayed down and after approx 5ish seconds came back up. there doesn't seem to be a definitive answer here. is it suppose to happen or not??? :scare::surrender:

I had this too on my 370z. I had the master cylinder replaced under warrenty. The issue never came back after that. I blamed all the autobahn high rpm / high load driving as my zed rarely got gunned in first gear. Its obviously a weak link the 370z.

Get it checked out if still under warranty.

I had this too on my 370z. I had the master cylinder replaced under warrenty. The issue never came back after that. I blamed all the autobahn high rpm / high load driving as my zed rarely got gunned in first gear. Its obviously a weak link the 370z.

Get it checked out if still under warranty.

cheers buddy i think i will!!! who is the best to go to? really dont want to go to nissan if im honest

Mine did this on the day I picked it up, p'd off was not the word. I wasn't even pushing the car. Never happened since fingers crossed. So i've left it, clutch seems fine and fluid is high as well.