reduced sound out put after replacing o/e bose ?

buster

A bit of science to Busters practical work.

The RCA's (the bits buster removed) usually output 2 or 4 Volts.

The speaker outputs on car stereos can be up to 12 volts.

So in theory your pushing a higher voltage signal into the Bose amp, resulting in a Louder output (although if you turn it up to far you may distort the signal or start losing the higher frequencies)

Simples.

Did you do the Splicing thing Robboo and cut the wires and then solder? I am going to attempt it this week.

Yep cut the RCA plugs off, stripped the wires down till I saw the coloured wire inside and the ground wire which is just copper inside the original black wire so be careful not to cut these off when you strip them back!

Then cut the speaker plug off and just matched the colour wires, tied them together and soldered :) Job done

Glad you all approve of my little mod :teeth:

It's fantastic mate you deserve a medal :thumbs:

Of course anyone with any sense will just fit a new amp anyway :lol:

sod the expence :lol: i ve done both now ;) though the amp only fires the 12inch sub we fitted :D

Edited by buster

Ok so the volume isn't that bad as found out the back speakers aren't on. But I can't get 5:1 ie I can only have 2 from and 2 back speakers or sub woofer and 2 front?

Anyone had this problem? Apparently the head unit only has 2 pre outs? Will this splicing do the trick????

• 1 month later...

Would just like to thank buster for this awesome mod, did it today and it has transformed my stereo, so loud and crisp with no distortion! Before I had a line booster and it was boosting the rear so the front barely did a thing but now the front speakers are so much better. This is most definitely worth doing!!

Only thing is I can't get my steering wheel controls to work despite getting the 29-020 lead so I think the control box itself might be buggered!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So after reading this thread I didnt even bother trying the RCA's I chopped them straight off my loom and did the mod before fitting my headunit.

I have slight hiss and turn on pop on low volume, but it is hitting a bit harder than the stock headunit. The top end is better, i can actually tell i'm running tweeters now. I think the sub AMP is a bit too powerful for the sub now though I might look for a free air 10 to swap in.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry if this is a bit of a noob question but i have fitted a kenwood HU and experiencing the lack of volume problem. I'm just wondering if you cut off the RCAs will you still be able to configure the pre outs as before? For e.g. set up the crossovers and the subwoofer?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 2 months later...