reduced sound out put after replacing o/e bose ?

buster

Just attempted this as my aftermarket HU maxes at 35 and with the window down earlier I could barely hear it. My only problem is that the Yellow and Black connectors don't actually go anywhere, only the Red and White ones plug into my Head Unit. I picked up another adapter from Maplins so I don't have to chop the HU wiring, but do I just cut the Red & White ones, and pair them up with the relevant wires, and ignore the Yellow and Black, or is my Head Unit too crap to even comprehend?

• 4 months later...

Done it today it's an absolute must .l installed a kenwood double din last week without the buster mod thinking it will be loud enough for me . I noticed last night after a short drive when I changed the disc it was hot my thoughts were its because you have everything at more or less max ie volume bass boost loud switch on. I was a bit quiet at work today so decided to go with the buster mod all I can say is I wish I had done it first time round.

Cheers buster

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Done it today it's an absolute must

Not strickly, it's a bodge. You're essentially overdriving the amps and there have been examples of owners blowing them irreparably. You are putting a high level output into a low input.

Some heads do a high voltage low level phone out, so if you're buying new it'd be best* going that way. eg. Pioneer or Alpine.

*Strickly speaking there's nothing best about the bose amp setup, nothing will make them sound good.

• 9 months later...

Aftermarket Kenwood DVD head unit previously wired in using the phono leads as anyone would and the sound at max ie 30 felt like not even half of what it should have been. This guide with the help of the below thread (post #9) made it a breeze to rewire and WOW the stereo really thumps now, thank you buster and ian for the info - happy now.

http://www.350z-uk.c...his-connection/

David

Edited by davey_83
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

Just run Busters mod after fitting a pioneer head unit and noticing I had to crank it up to full to get much sound.

Also thought it had four pre outs, but only two and a set for a sub woofer.

The Buster mod worked brilliantly thank you!

Anyone though of starting a How To section?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Just come across this thread after fitting a Kenwood double DIN this weekend - definitely going to do this mod so thanks to Buster and cs2000 for the in depth write up.

I have a few related questions:

1) Since installing the new Kenwood HU, my rear speakers are no longer on. Any one else experience this? Any solutions?

2) Not only is the sound quieter (which the mod will hopefully rectify) but the sound quality seems poorer - Seems more tinny and not as rich. I don't know if this is related to not having the rear speakers on or not? Can anyone who has done this mod comment on whether it improved sound quality as well as volume? (I'm thinking maybe the reduced output means i'm not hearing the full range hence it being less rich??)

3) With the new head unit I'm having to crank the subwoofer up to 10 in the audio settings to get anything even close to before - again is this related to the low output issue and will this mod fix that?

Apologies for all the questions, just hoping some of you guys might have had similar issues that you've fixed, before I go slicing up the harness :)

Edited by Neoncypher

• 6 months later...

I get a bit of static fuzz/white noise now having done this mod. Even when the volume is on zero. Did you get the same? I've checked the earth which was fine.

I get the same. It's as if the Nissan amp is pumping the gain with relation to engine revs and road speed. This in turn drives a lot of hiss to the speakers. Does anyone have a suggestion, diagnosis or a solution?

before removing the bose on a budget head unit did you switch off the speed volume control think that's what is called I like loud rock music only time my music is quiet is when my wife is in the car I done the buster mod years ago and it is still spot on

before removing the bose on a budget head unit did you switch off the speed volume control think that's what is called I like loud rock music only time my music is quiet is when my wife is in the car I done the buster mod years ago and it is still spot on

Is it actually quieter, or does it just seem quieter as there is another noise drowning it out? :bleh:

radio depending on the station when the volume is at really low level if you listen for a slight his you can hear it.I've still got my original ariel in my garage somewhere like every body else I have a stubby fitted don't think that helps.90% of the time I use USB my Kenwood has the cable permanently connected at the back of the head unit going into the cubby box it sounds spot on to my ears .can't remember the last time I had a CD on .

That is the problem. My original head unit was dead. Is there a way to kill the speed volume control after? Shorting the signal wire to earth or cutting it off etc? That must be my problem. Thanks for the nudge.

• 1 month later...

I get a bit of static fuzz/white noise now having done this mod. Even when the volume is on zero. Did you get the same? I've checked the earth which was fine.

I get the same. It's as if the Nissan amp is pumping the gain with relation to engine revs and road speed. This in turn drives a lot of hiss to the speakers. Does anyone have a suggestion, diagnosis or a solution?

im getting said hissing noise an turned the vol to 0 when i removed it aswell, anyone got any solutions to this?

• 2 years later...

Dont know if anyone is aware yet but.....

I think I have found the really easy/tidy version of the buster mod. 

I bought both of the adaptors to do this mod. Then I realised all we were doing was creating the cheap (non bose) harness from the expensive (bose) harness. Just with 1 extra wire in.

The Bose connector along with the RCA plugs has the amp cable. 

The non Bose does not.

All I did was use the cable pulled from the plug and put into the non Bose connector. Obviously you can forget getting the Bose connector and splice into the cable,but I already had the cable with the pin.

No cutting off RCA s and soldering. 

Let me know if anyone tries or if this doesn't make sense.

Cheers

Daisy