Changing my japanese sat nav!?

AmyZed

Hey everyone!

ive had a little read today about the jdm sat navs that dont work, and read that its not a cheap fix...

i take it you have all had to take it out and fit another after market unit?!

Is there not a dvd i can buy from nissan to make uk maps work? saying this my sat nav does nothing anyway- all i have up is a nissan logo ! it does nothing else apart from beep and flash up some jap symbols?! Is this normal?

Its not something I am going to sort right away, but it would be nice know what the options could be, id love sat nav in the car :) I think ill just take the casette / cd player below out and put a nice after market sat nav unit in there? is that what everyone else does? the cd player has never worked anyway!

That way means i have 2 screens there though... but a reversing camera is working with teh top sat nav one i have now- so i guess it has a use!

ive got same problem and have two screens now...jap sat nav = usless better of ripping it out and replacing with touch screen 7 inch thingy few people on here have done that...CD wont work as the jap tv is on a different code or something so unless you replace the whole thing not worth it

Decent aftermarket underneath is good place to start though :thumbs:

sounds like the guy in the other thread is ripping his out maybe grab that

Sounds like something is amiss with it. Shame you cant translate the japanese and workout what its saying!

With the actual system itself, if the early ones like yours are the same as the later one in mine, then the dvd only has the map and you cant update the OS on the system - so you cant physically change the software. I would have thought you could just swap the map disc for a UK one in order to see UK maps, but the software would still be in japanese, if thats how it currently is. I updated my 2007 map disc to a 2011 one earlier in the year and it worked a treat.

I had a similar issue, all you need is a DVD/CD unit from a UK Primera/Navara and this would be a direct replacement for the JAP one. Mine cost £30 from EBAY.

this sounds good... could someone maybe show me a link to one on ebay so i know i buy the right thing? Will the software still be in japanese? im still a bit confused!? will a new dvd unit sort everything?! ie its all in english and uk?! this sounds too easy! so i am guessing its not so simple!? my zed is a 2003, although when i enter her reg it always comes up 2007- i was told she was imported in 07 and some one messed up?! still the lower tax..phew!

I prefer 2 screens, the normal DD place is a bit low for satnav...

db934ea8.jpg

yes i agree it is too low for sat nav really... though id go by mainly listening to it i guess if that my only option to put one there.

thanks for the link! geez thats quite a lot more than i was expecting!! but like i say- its something to fix in the future not now so its good to know what i need to aim for !

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Hi, new to the forum and have just bought a 2003 imported 350z.

I bought a satnav unit from a 2004 uk nissan almera to replace the jap unit that was in it.

When I plug it in, I get the nissan screen, then a secure error on a green background, apparently it has to be off the dealer to fix this.

Any1 done this, and if so did it work?

Cheers

Jo

• 1 month later...

I prefer 2 screens, the normal DD place is a bit low for satnav...

db934ea8.jpg

yes i agree it is too low for sat nav really... though id go by mainly listening to it i guess if that my only option to put one there.

thanks for the link! geez thats quite a lot more than i was expecting!! but like i say- its something to fix in the future not now so its good to know what i need to aim for !

Hi. Same as amyzed with my import. Ive just put in a bose double base unit and i really want to do sat nav now. Mine does same. Nissan sign.on start up. Then jap text. Then blank. I see from spursmaddave that the top sat nav hasnt got bottom jap buttens and small control pad thing in. Is this an aftermarket? If so...how much!? I dont mind spending a few hundred quid to get it sorted / replaced.

Hi. Same as amyzed with my import. Ive just put in a bose double base unit and i really want to do sat nav now. Mine does same. Nissan sign.on start up. Then jap text. Then blank. I see from spursmaddave that the top sat nav hasnt got bottom jap buttens and small control pad thing in. Is this an aftermarket? If so...how much!? I dont mind spending a few hundred quid to get it sorted / replaced.

I belive he said it was £150 and fitted it him self just needed to wire in power surply sure he will be along soon but sure its in his posts some where as he gets asked alot :lol:

I never had a satnav i replaced the non satnav cubby with a satnav one the bought a navman panoramic and hardwired it in, I will have a look for the thread and post a link :thumbs:

You can basically mount any 7" screen and it will look good, a nav, a tablet etc the tricky bit is powering it and operating it...

• 3 years later...

I had a similar issue, all you need is a DVD/CD unit from a UK Primera/Navara and this would be a direct replacement for the JAP one. Mine cost £30 from EBAY.

I know this was a while back but I wondered how you managed to switch the unit for a primera one as the jap one also powers the screen, the uk one doesn't have a connection port on the back ?.