Polishing engine block, any suggestions?

Greddy-Matt

Hi all!

Thought I'd make a start on blinging my engine bay, I have a massive list to do and parts to get but started on polishing all of the cast parts of the engine and block that are visible.

I've been using a dremel with a cotton wheel and autosol, it's bringing it up nicely but it's taking an age (it took an hour and a half to do a couple of inches! :wacko: ) does anyone know if there's a more abrasive metal polish available, or a better method of polishing (I can't use wet and dry because it's impossible to get everywhere with it)?

Any advice welcome!!

Hi

No not the plenum, I'm looking to paint that with either black or red wrinkle paint :cloud9: I'm polishing all of the metalwork at the front of the engine i.e. where all the belts are, where all the sensors go into etc, I'll try and get some pics up of what i'm doing :thumbs:

all of the cast parts of the engine and block that are visible.

I've been using a dremel with a cotton wheel and autosol,

That would be more for final finishing. Initially you need something far more aggressive like a drill with wire brush wheel etc.

Obviously with the parts you want to do this is only feasible if they are removed from the engine, which is why most folk who want this type of thing on a DE engine generally do the plenum as it's highly visible, and easily removed. On an HR it isn't a problem. Not familiar with the DE, but on the HR only one timing chain cover is easily removed without any stripping down.

I've already made investigations to obtain a replacement timing cover get it polished and fit.

The timing cover is problematic, mainly due to the intricate moulding. It can be done but will take a VERY long time. The finish won't be that great either. I will have mine proffesionaly polished due to the hassle.

If you're looking for a plenum or oem strut polished or anything else I can do it for you.

Polished Plenum

viewtopic.php?f=38&t=59850

Polished Strut

viewtopic.php?f=38&t=60698

Example of my ARC box I decided to polish recently, turned out a treat.

Before

IMG_5941.jpg

After

ad6fbe0f.jpg

6fcc0611.jpg

Wow Wasso B) mirror shiny

Funny thing is it was unpolished for two years and never thought to clean her up.

Makes a massive difference. I polish anything these days, even our cat shines now :lol:

If you really want to do it use a wire brush to get the oxidisation off as above. Then use a cutting compound like G3 or 3M Fast cut to get a good surface.

Then your better off using a polish called Peek, its much cleaner than autosol and cheaper, you can get a 1kilo tin for around £15.

Its designed for aluminium in particular and its the nuts :clap:

Your a brave man though, it will take you a long old time :yawn:

Thanks for the replies! I am intending to do everything I can get my mitts to, these are the sort of bits that I'm looking to start with tho (you can just about make out a tiny bit I did yesterday peeking out from under the engine cover):

engine1.jpg

engine2.jpg

I'll grab a wire brush and take a trip to the local motor factors for some cutting compound tomorrow morning as I have the day off to tinker, PEEK sounds interesting :lol: I'll try anything once tho so will give it a shot :thumbs:

Time isn't an issue, happy to do it bit by bit as I bought the car to keep it untill it dies, tho I suspect by the time I'm done, I'll have to start all over again :lol:

Wazzo - thats impressively shiney! Might have to re-think painting the plenum now, do you think a throttle body is do-able?

I've started doing my throttle body, and the easy parts have come up a treat and only took 5 mins as I've purchased everything you can dream of for polishing. Drill, Dremel, polishing machine, mops, mini mops, micro mops, abrasive bits for the drill and Dremel and a wealth of varying wet and dry sand paper. Oh and 3 compounds for the polishing mops cut, medium and shine.

The plenum will take you a long time. My first one took nearly 40 hours, but now have it down to about 16hrs. Be careful with te throttle body as it obviously contains sensitive components.

I will potentially be selling polished throttle bodies in the future.

Wet and dry is fine, but the polishing wheel does a great job.