Why is my Z stinking??

Greddy-Matt

Hi

Fearing something serious, I'm after a little help please, I've noticed in the last month or so that the Z is stinking something awfull after it's been driven, when you pull up and get out of the car there's a really acrid / seriously hot smell from the rear, definately from the exhaust and you can't smell it from inside the car (it's definately not your normal exhaust fumes sort of smell).

It started a little while after I had a Scorpion exhaust put on, I put it down to the coatings and oils from manufacturing etc in the exhaust burning off, however, I'm about 1000 miles down the road and it's still smelling pretty strong.

The car's not smoking, and it's not using oil (I check the oil every week and it's not moved from the max mark since changing the oil six months ago!) so guessing it's not lunched piston rings....

The coolant level isn't dropping, and engine temp doesn't fluctuate at all once warm so wouldn't have thought it's a head gasket, so bit flummoxed really, could it be running too lean? Any ideas?

Oh I have checked for placcy bags dead animals etc stuck to it, and nadda. :shrug:

Any ideas???

What CATS have you got? they can smell bad when the start to go.

EDIT: Could be the zorst touching something and melting it - rubber mount maybe - if it only started after the new zorst???

Thanks for the suggestions guys, I've found the problem now it's dry enough to get under the car!

I was looking too hard for the problem.

The issue is with the exhaust, it's touching the plastic diff cover and it's melted a blimin great hole in the side of it :lol:

Can I remove the diff cover, will it cause any issues?

Thanks for the suggestions guys, I've found the problem now it's dry enough to get under the car!

The issue is with the exhaust, it's touching the plastic diff cover and it's melted a blimin great hole in the side of it :lol:

I was so close :)

Yes your diff will get hotter :lol:

That cover is an air scoop thing that pulls air over the fins - Mind you I've seen several Zeds without them!

Do you track?

That cover is an air scoop thing that pulls air over the fins - Mind you I've seen several Zeds without them!

Do you track?

my covers cracked from jacking her up

Do you track?

:lol: yep so close! I don't track but not known for being gentle on the old girl either, maybe I can "modify" it :)