Nurburgring Advice

Zedrush

Never played GTR2. I have GT4 which has does. It may not be 100% accurate as it's only a game but it'll give you an idea. It does have the different types of curb just like the real thing. Some will throw you off in the blink of an eye. I did the 24hr race in GT4. Had to leave the PS2 on for over a week to do it and got serious tunnel vision but had lap times of 6mins, I think, in my JGTC Z. (1000bhp) :)

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IMO if you are a track inexperienced it may be better to go on a few UK tracks first & get to know your car better properly before going on the Ring. The rings surface can be rough/bumpy/sharp gradients & bends & not like the track circuits such as; Silverstone; Bedford Aerodrome; etc etc which are more predictable & forgiving.

IMO if you are a track inexperienced it may be better to go on a few UK tracks first & get to know your car better properly before going on the Ring. The rings surface can be rough/bumpy/sharp gradients & bends & not like the track circuits such as; Silverstone; Bedford Aerodrome; etc etc which are more predictable & forgiving.

Hmm good point ill start getting in some track experience before August, anyone intrested in joining me? :teeth:

The problem is that the surface is not racing track surface, its public road surface, with the same (lack of) grip as on a public road.

Also playing a game could be dangerous too, as you think you know all the bends (which is true) but you dont necessarily know the condition of the road everywhere, which is at least as important as the bends on that track, and which could get you into serious trouble if you were just to hit that bump in the road which you werent supposed to drive over, setting your car off-balance and paying a close visit to the armco.

Just take it easy over there, get an experienced driver as copilot and dont push it. It takes 50-60 laps before you get to know the track (and that is a lot of fuel and rubber ;) ).

Gents,

Strongly recommend looking at http://nurburgring.org.uk/carhire.html

I have not used them before, however Grant (Boosted) did hire when they had the Alfa 75 company.

This way you know the risk and the cost, then when you think you are comfortable take the ZED out. Just a way of testing how much you want to do it before taking a chance at total loss of uninsured Zed and big bill for arnco.

Zedrush, no offence, just want to you have both side of a story, as there is 10+ people on here that are also over here.

I'm going for the 2nd time this year, and here's my advice: just enjoy it, relax and take it easy.

You don't have to bomb it round the track - there are lots of slower cars than yours - and lots of faster ones.

You can drive round the 'ring without being a dickhead psycho insane'in'da'membrane. People do it with their families in the car, along with buses and trucks.

If you love cars and the whole social atmos, go on a public holiday weekend (like I am, end of May) where the spectating, gossiping, womanizing and drinking put the driving in its place.

If you are a track phreak who wants to burn up the ring, go another time.

So, once you know what you want to do on the ring - enjoy the exp. vs. track meister - then you can choose your time.

The drive over, the few nights away from the wife with a bunch of petrol heads, the drive to/from the ring, the drive round the ring, the journey home - it's all priceless.

So whatever you want to do, a trip to the Ring is for you, cos you can do what u like.

You will see some awesome cars there - Dodge Viper, Porsche GT3 RS, Lambo, Ferrari, Micra .. :)

Well said Steve. A friend of mine know someone who took a camper van round...:lol:

This is an interesting article on lap times.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nordschlei ... _lap_times

Nice to see radicals at the top. Would have expected to see the Veyron higher TBH. The surprise to me is the M3 CSL 7:50 and perhaps even the R34, both saloon cars and faster than the Ferrari etc.

Nice to see radicals at the top. Would have expected to see the Veyron higher TBH. The surprise to me is the M3 CSL 7:50 and perhaps even the R34, both saloon cars and faster than the Ferrari etc.

don't forget the driver qualities from that equation! the R34 was driven by one of the ring veterans, there's a video on youtube iirc.

Also some cars are actually engineered around the track when originally developed (again the R34 was one of them) so that is going to make a massive difference in lap times.

don't forget the driver qualities from that equation! the R34 was driven by one of the ring veterans, there's a video on youtube iirc.

Also some cars are actually engineered around the track when originally developed (again the R34 was one of them) so that is going to make a massive difference in lap times.

I thik you will find that the ring is pretty much like a real road, in that it's pretty bumpy, so gives a good impression of a cars capability. My Cossie would be a nightmare on the ring as te suspension is far too hard, but on a normal track it's perfect.

• 2 weeks later...

I went there last October when I had my VX220 turbo, as others have already mentioned it is an amazing place and unlike any other race track anywhere in the world.

The thing that always makes me smile is that any track day in the UK you will have a 30 min safety briefing etc etc, at the ring you turn up, pay for a lap and go, no one will talk to you at all and all the marshals are looking for is that you car is road worthy.

We stayed at www.hotel-an-der-nordschleife.de

Really nice clean place good showers, right by a good watching corner and a 10 min walk from the town.

If its your first time, just take it easy, personally I treated it like trackdays in the UK, if there is a bugger on your bumper just let him past, don't go racing anyone and just keep a clear space around you and you should be fine.

I only had one 'moment' second lap and it started pouring with rain and in the section of left right curves just after the main straight the offside rear wheel touched the curb, the back of the car swung round really quick and I almost binned it, luckily I caught it, things settled down and I did the rest of the lap with my heart pounding in my chest and I really was not going that quick.

Have plans to go again this year and I have been wondering how the Z will cope in regards of brakes and what sort of upgrades might be needed, the VX being so light was completely fine as standard.

I would say definately go and just be careful, take it at your own pace.

Also, for those who love GT4 and the like, apart from giving you an idea of which way the corner goes next it is nothing like the real thing and the way the track goes up and down.

You also need to be prepared to get totally wasted by local Germans in rust heaps who will pass you like your standing still.

when i go in June, I think I'm going to get a taxi ride in it first.

Also possibly helpful to play a videogame with the track that's been accurately represented in it, to have a feel of it.

Does GTR2 have the Ring as a track?

If you want to get a taxi ride you need to book well in advance as it is in great demand.

Your other option is to turn up on the day and hope someone drops out and you can get their place.

It is a great thing to do, I have not done it myself but have been behind a taxi as first it came powering past and then started drifting round the corners, then it powered off into the distance.

I'm planning on doing this in September. I've already bought the Tom Tom One Europe :)

I'm a complete beginner, and to be honest, lap times or anything remotely close are well out of my mind - it's more about the trip, and just driving the ring. Should be something to look back on in a few years time when I'll be spinning around in a Passat or something :D

I'm planning to take the Dover - Dunkirk ferry (£75 return) and stay in Koblenz at the Ibis (£50 per night)

Again, very early september (it has more full days on offer than August) if anyone fancies it :)

I'm planning on doing this in September. I've already bought the Tom Tom One Europe :)

I'm a complete beginner, and to be honest, lap times or anything remotely close are well out of my mind - it's more about the trip, and just driving the ring. Should be something to look back on in a few years time when I'll be spinning around in a Passat or something :D

I'm planning to take the Dover - Dunkirk ferry (£75 return) and stay in Koblenz at the Ibis (£50 per night)

Again, very early september (it has more full days on offer than August) if anyone fancies it :)

I was planning August but then my brother said September He can make it, and really want to travel with him as he has done the Track everyyear, he has a 380BHP Twin Turbo Saab 900. He must of spent at least 18,000 on it with a company called Abbots Racing. He is what you call a stealth modifyer. He lives for that fact of seeing Evo's and Imprezas faces as he either keeps up with them or over takes them.

All the modifying is on the engine bay and the Tyres, and has the Nuburgring sticker on the back. B@stard :lol:

So will be taking my Z over there then and try and follow his line :wacko:

So let us know date be good to get a few of us :thumbs:

Get this: http://gtr-game.10tacle.com/index.php?id=246&L=1

Then this: http://www.nogripracing.com/details.php?filenr=2806

One of these: http://www.naturalpoint.com/trackir/02- ... 4-PRO.html

With this: http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/produ ... NTID=11867

Then, you are good to go! B)

It's about as close as I'm gonna get anytime soon ;)

Would it not be cheaper to just book a ferry and B&B and go drive it yourself?;)

One off, maybe. I can drive it when I want, as many times as I want, with zero risk, in a sim :D

Don't get me wrong, sim racing is no subsitute for the real thing! I sure enjoy it as a pass-time though, that's all I was getting at B)

Have you looked at the Hull - Zee / Rott route ?

Last time I went, finished work Friday 5 pm was on the boat having a beer 3 hours later, left the ring Sun mid afternoon, back in work Monday late a.m.

The cost is not much more that Dover if you can share a cabin.

And just think of all the fuel money / time driving to Dover.

• 3 months later...

I'm going to go over to the Ring again probably in early September and book Ron Simon's school http://www.75experience.co.uk he has some availability. I'll be with a few others including Chris B in his 350z.

I am also searching out availability at SPA but September is a busy month especially as the F1 is there at the end of the month. I've just been on a track day there in the pouring rain, it was awesome. I'll post some pics and Vids soon.

Either way after that we're going to Brno in Czech Republic ;) and going on to their circuit http://www.automotodrombrno.cz/go/ they have an open session on 13th September. After that we'll make our way back to UK probably via Amsterdam again.

It would be great if someone wants to join us for the whole thing or just part of it. BTW - We're not taking our wives / girlfriends.

Grant

• 2 weeks later...