Steering rack issues???

lukekbrown

Hi,

I have a clunking at the front of my car as soon as I go on a road that isn't perfectly flat.

I know it's not the banana compression arm bushes, as I just had superpro ones fitted, the garage say that they think the steering rack has play in it. As all the other suspension/bush components are okay.

Do you think a new steering rack is required? or just new bushes?

Any advice or previous experience would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

The garage has now confirmed it's definately the drivers side steering rack, they rattled the drivers side steering rack to show me and it made exactly the same clunking noise that it makes when I go over uneven surfaces, weirdly the passenger side doesnt have any play in it.

The garage can't confirm the exact problem, without taking the steering rack apart, just wondered if anyone has had this problem before? Or knows a common problem that exists? I assume worse case scenario is a new steering rack?

Thanks

Thanks for bringing this up dude! I have exactly the same issue, but haven't got around to doing anything about it! Most of the clunking comes from low-speed bumps - it sounds awful when there's no wind/engine/tyre noise to drown it out! :yuck: Mine is a 53-plate on ~70k miles - how about you?

Let me know how your repair-job goes - will use you as a guide!! :thumbs:

• 1 month later...

The garage has now confirmed it's definately the drivers side steering rack, they rattled the drivers side steering rack to show me and it made exactly the same clunking noise that it makes when I go over uneven surfaces, weirdly the passenger side doesnt have any play in it.

The garage can't confirm the exact problem, without taking the steering rack apart, just wondered if anyone has had this problem before? Or knows a common problem that exists? I assume worse case scenario is a new steering rack?

Thanks

There was some play in my steering rack and the clunk sound, not to mention some of the hoses had gone as well. Rack replaced with a pre owned from alex and it doesn't seem to have gone back :thumbs:

Apparently it was the first time japex had seen it.

• 2 years later...