Anyone owned a coupe and a roadster

maxi-glasgow

Might have a buyer for my car sorted so will soon be ready to get myself another Zed.

Curious to people's thoughts on whether the Coupe or Roadster is a better buy, I will be buying a 313 model.

Is insurance higher for convertible?

Never owned a convertible so would like to hear previous or indeed current owners thoughts whether they regretted getting the roadster over a coupe and is road noise higher in the roadster?

I mean with the hood up?

JetSet is your man..... he and his wife have both...

http://www.350z-uk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=59388

Having had numerous roadsters and convertibles (Not Zeds) before my Zed which was a coupe..... I will be getting another Roadster again, I miss the top down on a sunny day, clear night, cold day... well anytime it was not raining actually :lol:

Thanks to Jetset for answering all my questions.

Biggest question left which is the biggest of all, will a set of golf clubs still fit in the Roadsters boot?

It was a tight enough squeeze in the Coupe, but don't know what the Roadster loses in boot space department..

there are instructions inside the boot lid, demonstrating how to fit two lots of clubs in.

I'd be very surprised if you could get two sets of clubs in roadster with the size of the newer bags. You wouldn't get a trolley bag in on its own and my standbag complete fills it and I can only just get my driver in beside it.

There are instructions inside the boot lid showing how to get ONE bag of golf clubs in the roadster. (I think you can get 2 in the coupe). The roadster boot is very small, but if you have the roof up, you can use the roof storage compartment to get a surprising amount of stuff in! Its like a 2nd boot.

Road noise with the roof up is loud. If you are sitting in a queue of traffic and someone walks past talking, you can hear every word they say. My K1 exhaust which sounded reasonable on a coupe actually sounds ridiculously loud on the roadster.

From the reviews I read on the net, the Roadster is slightly heavier than the coupe due to the extra strengthening, but handling wise they said that they both handled as well as each other. No noticable flexing on the roadster when pushed hard.

Insurance is usually higher for a convertible. Ive not done a back to back comparison against a 313 coupe and my 313 roadster so im not sure exactly what the difference is for me.

A couple of other points to consider... the 313 roadster is pretty rare. They made around 300 ish of them as they were only around for a couple of years before the 370z roadster came out.

And secondly, now is the wrong time of year to buy a roadster. The prices go up by around 15% over the summer months.

I love having gone for the roadster though. Nothing can beat it. Roof down if its not raining - even when its cold (can stick the heaters on) and it brings a whole extra element of fun driving. The engine note & exhaust just sound amazing. The 313 HR engine is amazing, with its redline at 7500rpm - accelerating hard in 2nd & 3rd just is excellent, it really throws you back in the seat and makes the driving experience even more fun.

Because they are so rare, it never fails to get attention and even complete strangers compliment you on what a nice car it is. Ive only seen one other 313 roadster on the road in 12 months of ownership, and one older non 313 roadster. Thats 2 in 12 months. Now thats rare!

If your not sure, id recommend trying both and seeing what you think.

Thanks to Jetset for answering all my questions.

Any chance you could let the rest of us know too? ;):D

My first question was what difference it makes to insurance between Coupe and Roadster and it appears the Roadster is group 19 and Coupe group 18, but since my XKR is 20 not a problem.

Next was road noise and the answers back were not much difference with hood up, and also the comment that they had a few convertibles in the past and the 350 has been by far the best, even against the Z4 convertible so that sounds good to me.

They were not sure if golf back would fit in but it looks like it will.

So it looks like I will be opting for a Roadster rather than a Coupe this time....

Got guy flying in from Germany at 11:30pm on Thursday night to pay cash for my car so will be looking really quickly....

Just had to get new windscreen fitted, going in to get wheel bearing fitted on Thursday and now need to get a new Bi-Xenon bulb!!

ive had both,didnt have the roadster long,much prefer the coupe,to noisy in the roadster,and lots of rattles,will admit on a nice sunny day though was great with the roof down,but i think the roadster with the roof up is ugly,just an opinion though :thumbs:

The roadster with roof up is one of those cars people either like or hate. Some say its got a big bum with the roof up. Others love it. Of course most roadsters look better with the roof down, but I think the 350z roadster isnt that bad with the roof up.

I actually had 7 bin men drooling around my car this morning. Was quite funny. One got my wheelie bin off my drive to empty it then did a neck snapping double take when he saw my number plate & my car. Then he called out to his mates and one by one they all came over to have a look at the car. Even the bin lorry driver climbed out and wandered over. I was in my kitchen but could hear them saying how nice a car it was and how much they really liked it. One guy was saying "what is it??!!!!!" :lol:

Thannks Vik, don't think I have been at a same meeting as only Roadster I can remember is the blue one whom I can't remember his name, but he had organised the trip, was my very first meet and we drove up to the Ski place.

I have already contacted him and I am just waiting on word back about something else in the pipeline before I see if I can move ahead.

His does look especially mint though.

i had a coupe.. then i got a roadster.... i didn't have my coupe long- and before i had a honda del sol which is when i fell in love with roof off option!! ok so i don't have the roof down for 5 months (ish) of the year..but the nice days its so good to have down and the car looks stunning! i still like roadsters with roof up but like someone else has says its marmite ! it is louder in a roadster.... i haven't heard any rattles ........ i hear a lovely v6 roar!!!

+1 The sound you can hear in the roadster is fantastic. I happily live in a warm country and the only time the top goes up is when rain threatens. Top up (not much sound insulation) or down you feel so much more connected with the car and the environment. -ve side of this is if you're an audiophile but then the best sound IS the car. :cloud9:

Thannks Vik, don't think I have been at a same meeting as only Roadster I can remember is the blue one whom I can't remember his name, but he had organised the trip, was my very first meet and we drove up to the Ski place.

I have already contacted him and I am just waiting on word back about something else in the pipeline before I see if I can move ahead.

His does look especially mint though.

That was Derek ...his was on the market last year actually don't know if he managed to sell it - Mr T would probably know if its gone yet or not :thumbs:

I would buy Jamie's in a heartbeat if I wanted a roadster :#1: