Spacer size

Stew

Q - What size spacers should I fit to my standard / Rays wheels on my 350Z???

The usual size of spacers fitted to members cars 20mm on the front and 25mm on the rear. This creates no rubbing issues and the car can be lowered around 30mm with no issues with this size of spacer.

It is possible to fit 25mm on the front and 30mm on the rear. This might cause problems if you wish to lower the car though.

Members usually opt for Hubcentric spacers for ease of fit, they are no more difficult to fit than a wheel. There are other types available however they require changing out the wheel studs. This isn't a difficult job however it is more difficult to reverse and more time consuming.

• 1 month later...

Does anyone have any comparison pictures of a 350z with Rays showing the before and after effect of fitting spacers? And aside from issues with lowering the car are there any negative effects to having these fitted? Cheers.

Does anyone have any comparison pictures of a 350z with Rays showing the before and after effect of fitting spacers? And aside from issues with lowering the car are there any negative effects to having these fitted? Cheers.

Yes, it messes the handling up! They look good but makes the car tram line badly and you'll have steer it out of turns more. I've taken mine off now and it handles way better again. I was talking to Mark at Abbey about this last night and he says you can get away with a small front spacer (I think he's talking about 5 to 7mm) before it starts affect scrub radius.

Rears aren't a problem, just the front.

• Like 1

I see, what about if you get aftermarket alloys that don't need spacers but fill out the wheel arches a bit more, is that going to have a similarly negative effect on handling?

The way I understand it, as long as you keep the scrub radius the same it'll be fine so if your wheel is 2 inches wider it needs to be an inch on both sides of the hub flange i.e. and inch sticking out and an inch in toward the engine. But wider tyres will tramline more anyway regardless of geometry.

Mark at Abbey is very knowledgeable about this sort of stuff after many years working with race teams, I'm sure he'd be happy to help you out with info and hardware. :)

Plenty of pics on this thread..... search is your friend :thumbs:

http://www.350z-uk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=50544&start=0&hilit=spacers

I really did try! Clearly not very well though :shrug:

Thanks for finding that. Still there seems to be a bit of contradiction about how much of an effect having spacers has on handling (not talking crazy here maybe 20mm front), I guess I'll leave it for now until I've bought the new wheels and take it from there. Its irritating how the standard setup means the wheel looks lost in the arches, I'd definitely prefer a more aggressive stance but without any lowering.

• 2 years later...

Fitted some hubcentric spacers today (20,25mm) with my OEM Rays & one of my Lockers bottomed out & exploded upon tightening. Any suggestions on longer/open lockers ?

This thread is nearly 3 years old.

There have been a number of occasions recently of the locking nuts breaking when tightening up after fitting spacers.

Not sure what other members solutions have been though, other than to get rid of them all and get some decent ones.

Fitted some hubcentric spacers today (20,25mm) with my OEM Rays & one of my Lockers bottomed out & exploded upon tightening. Any suggestions on longer/open lockers ?

This thread is nearly 3 years old.

There have been a number of occasions recently of the locking nuts breaking when tightening up after fitting spacers.

Not sure what other members solutions have been though, other than to get rid of them all and get some decent ones.

At least he's using the search button rather than making new threads about the same questions ;)

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

ok so 20 front and 25 on the rear for 18's i currently have the 17's (jap import) would it still be the same 20 and 25 as im looking to upgrade to 18's either rotas or rays and dont wanna have to shell for lots of spacers so is possible to have them with the 17's

thanks guys

The car does suit spacers well its just a case of Marmite. You either love them or hate them. :)

What? You do realise this is an ancient thread that someone just bumped asking if he can use spacers on 17's?

ok so 20 front and 25 on the rear for 18's i currently have the 17's (jap import) would it still be the same 20 and 25 as im looking to upgrade to 18's either rotas or rays and dont wanna have to shell for lots of spacers so is possible to have them with the 17's

thanks guys

You can use 20/25mm.

But if you're upgrading your wheels soon, I wouldn't waste your money on spacers. As you can just buy wheels that fit (i.e. no need for spacing to fill the arches)

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

I've just fitted some 20mm hub centric spacers and just want a few mm more. Would have gone 25mm but because I'm lowered I'd get some rubbing.  Can I use the thin shim ones along with my hub centric ones or is it not recommended?