335i..8 months on

gangzoom

Z has been gone for 8 months now and have done all the mechanical upgrades/mods I wanted to the 335i and have got use to the car now over B roads/M ways had some free time so thought I do a little write up…

Performance:

The N54 engine stock is not short on power; I’ve added an uprated intercooler and a tuning chip (JB+) which gives me more than enough power. Some people have said the tune/remap on the engine “completely changes the carâ€, I wouldn’t go that far, but certainly pulls much harder from 3Krpm to the redline. In its current form I can reach license-losing speeds a bit too quickly for my liking so not really after any more power. Delivery of the power is super smooth, and not very turbo like, there is a small hint of turbo lag but above 2.5Krpm it just pulls all the way to the red line. The sound produced by the straight six isn’t too bad either, even with the stock exhaust.

My 335i comes with a 6 speed auto with paddles. Never had an auto before and have no complaints. For town driving it's a breeze, and in “sports†mode the paddles do a good job at letting you hold on the gear till the red line.

Forge intercooler before been fitted :D

img0107qq.jpg

Handling:

The most obvious problem with the car stock is a lack of a LSD. When I first bought the car even with the engine in stock form if the road surface had the slightest hint of moisture and wasn’t silkily smooth the dashboard would light up like a xmas tree every time I floored the loud pedal. The LSD has really transformed the way the car can put its power down, and I would say is a “must buy†upgraded before anything else.

The rest of the suspension set up is fine, can be crashy at times (I have M sport suspension with 18in run flats) but not really any worse than my previous 350Z, and a lot better than the Integra Type R. Though not as communicative as the Integra when its comes to steering feedback the car is amazingly fun to drive, quite often I forget I’m in a luxury 4 door saloon, in fact the car feels lighter on its feet compared to the 350Z and has slightly better turn in. The rear end is a little less communicative than the Z, have had a few occasion where it has stepped out a bit sooner than I had anticipated but its all good fun.

LSD been fitted :D

img0756ch.jpg

Comfort/Particularity:

The main reason for me getting rid of the 350Z was the fact I wanted to be able to carry more than 1 passenger at the same time. To this end the 335i is simply amazing, 4 doors and large boot meant I could take the wife and in-laws on a 200 mile road trip over xmas without breaking a sweat. At motorway speeds the engine is running minimal boost, and easily gets 35-40mpg (when driven harder on B roads this falls to 20-25mpg). The road/wind noise at motorway speeds is minimal, and compared to the 350Z seems like a limo. Add to this heated seat, voice control, Built in sat Nav, Parking assist, 2 zone air con, excellent media system (after I upgraded the speakers) the car is an amazingly good motorway workhorse as well as been good fun on B roads.

I was amazed by this mpg reading, need to stop driving like a grandad :yawn:

img0981hd.jpg

Looks/Reliability:

Never been a fan of how the E90 3 series looks, nothing wrong with it but there’s one around every street corner which looks identical. In way it’s quite the Q car (debadge mine), and my wife is more than happy to drive it despite it actually been more powerful than the Z. Unlike a M3 I get hardly any unwanted attention, but can go almost as quick when in the mood.

If you read around the forums your think the N54 engine in the 335i is going to fall apart the moment you leave the show room. Mine has had no problems so far, and just flew through the MOT with no warnings. I bought mine from a BMW dealer mainly for the 1 year warranty for extra piece of mind but haven’t needed to use it once.

BMW servicing is however a complete joke, the servicing department looks like the departure lounge at Heathrow and their main job appears to be trying to squeeze you for every penny rather than look after the car. When I made some enquires about “official BMW performance parts†was told by the clueless “servicing assistant†they don’t recommend upgrade because of reliability issues, even though these are official BMW approved parts along with the rip off BMW pricing (£1-1.5K for a 20bhp “powerpackâ€). When I than asked about a slightly stiff bonnet catch and squeaky drivers seat (all both needed was bit of oil in the right places) another “assistant†appeared had a discussion amongst themselves and than told me they would need the car for the day to fully investigate. Even if my car needed major work doing I’m not sure I would trust the local dealer to go near the car since the only thing BMW main dealers care about is profits. Needless to say once my warranty expires I will not be going back for main dealer servicing.

Overall:

Given the my car is now probably putting out 300-310whp, looks sensible, can carry 4 adults all day long, able achieve 40mpg on Motorway runs, and is the same insurance group as my old 350Z I couldn't be happier. In total I’ve spend £22K on the car (£19.5K for the car than LSD + Intercooler (both fitted by Birds in London) + Tuning chip + small exterior mods + speaker upgraded), given you can now pick up early E92 335i Coupes for £12-13K these things are shockingly good value!!! May end up spending another £1-2K on ICE but than that's it, any spare money is been put into the M5 kitty B)

Amazingly the “new†F30 335i still has the same engine as the E90/E92 so the only 3 series faster than a 335i will still has to be wearing a M badge.:)

How I bought her...

20110626img5948.jpg

The back end now with some extra spoilers, and badge removed

img0773ti.jpg

More recently avoiding going out in the snow :cold:

img9769s.jpg

Great write up, I was feeling your enthusiasm and finding myself potentially talking myself into one........................and then came the pictures and felt that someone had burst my balloon. It's not an ugly car, but it just leaves me cold I'm afraid. :sorry:

Yep, same here. The 335i pops-up on a lot of radars when considering a 350z (at least, it did on mine). It's a different animal though and ultimately, I wanted a tighter, louder, more thrilling experience than a BMW saloon. The other main factors were higher cost (obviously). Would've been looking at nearly double the price of an equivalent mileage 350z (roughly, £8k vs £16k) and all the horror stories I'd heard about reliability. There's probably a reason why a £40k beemer is now selling in the low teens, five years later...

Oh, and as you rightly point out, there are millions of 3-series on the roads. The 350z feels far more exlusive.

I guess it's a very good machine though, with added practicality and fuel economy, if you find a reliable one. Glad to hear you're enjoying it!

My mate runs a white 335 coupe on BBS rims. It's tasty as hell. He's just exported it to Aus actually!

I much prefer the coupe shape over the saloon however your write up is good. Great point about the LSD!

Good review.

I hadnt really considered a 335i myself until I came up against a nice coupe version the other weekend and we had a bit of fun together seeing how it compared performance wise against my zed from a rolling start in 2nd gear upto err.. sensible speeds. My zed was significantly quicker, in fact I had to back off the accelerator each time else id have ran into the back of the 335.

After that I was intrequed about them, as I really liked the look of the coupe. So, i did some googling on them and they do seem to be very nice cars. Mixed reviews on them as you get with any car, but over all everything seems positive. Esp when you compare them to the cost of an M3. And that mpg is simply amazing when you consider the performance and size of the engine. :thumbs:

Good review.

I hadnt really considered a 335i myself until I came up against a nice coupe version the other weekend and we had a bit of fun together seeing how it compared performance wise against my zed from a rolling start in 2nd gear upto err.. sensible speeds. My zed was significantly quicker, in fact I had to back off the accelerator each time else id have ran into the back of the 335.

After that I was intrequed about them, as I really liked the look of the coupe. So, i did some googling on them and they do seem to be very nice cars. Mixed reviews on them as you get with any car, but over all everything seems positive. Esp when you compare them to the cost of an M3. And that mpg is simply amazing when you consider the performance and size of the engine. :thumbs:

dMS quote an upgrade to 370bhp I'm sure. Then the zed wouldn't get a look in!

DMS quote an upgrade to 370bhp I'm sure. Then the zed wouldn't get a look in!

The 370z with UpRev would though, especially when you put some corners in the way :p

Nice write up, would be on my radar if I ever fancied having a family :thumbs:

Always been a fan of these,and that engine. Nice to see a good balanced review of the car. Didnt know that there were engine problems with them,guess its just keeping on top of maintenance etc of the engine,and not thrashing it from cold etc. Great colour too. A good friend of mine has an E92 M3,and its an amazing car,though running costs are high,and dread to think how much something would cost if it went wrong!

That suprises me, when I drove my mates one I thought it felt quite a lot quicker than the Zed, nothing like as good round the bends though. Power and weight are broadly similar, but peak torque at 1400rpm, 1/4 mile at 0.2 seconds faster and turbo tuneability says to me yer man wasnt wringing its neck by any means.

It's not an ugly car, but it just leaves me cold I'm afraid.

You WHAT??!! :bangin:

attachment.php?attachmentid=302175&stc=1&d=1251861574

2003959070531515787-rs-14758.jpg

5033703863_01a7919c2d.jpg

As 4 door coupes go, its pretty bloody good ........... the coupes are achingly beautiful with a nice set of wheels too :)

Top two are M3s, surely? And modded ones at that. I can see where Sarnie is coming from here, there's nothing particularly flash about the E90/92 body, but that's the charm of it in one way.

I told you; estate or nothing :D And why no M3 wagon this time, disgraceful!

Picture_012_9_272212144128.jpg

Top two are M3s, surely? And modded ones at that. I can see where Sarnie is coming from here, there's nothing particularly flash about the E90/92 body, but that's the charm of it in one way.

I told you; estate or nothing :D And why no M3 wagon this time, disgraceful!

Picture_012_9_272212144128.jpg

There never has been an M3 Wagon.

M5 Wagons are nice though!

That suprises me, when I drove my mates one I thought it felt quite a lot quicker than the Zed, nothing like as good round the bends though. Power and weight are broadly similar, but peak torque at 1400rpm, 1/4 mile at 0.2 seconds faster and turbo tuneability says to me yer man wasnt wringing its neck by any means.

It's not an ugly car, but it just leaves me cold I'm afraid.

You WHAT??!! :bangin:

attachment.php?attachmentid=302175&stc=1&d=1251861574

2003959070531515787-rs-14758.jpg

5033703863_01a7919c2d.jpg

As 4 door coupes go, its pretty bloody good ........... the coupes are achingly beautiful with a nice set of wheels too :)

The black one looks decent for a BMW the other two look like chav chariots to me. Don't get me wrong I like BMW's but I can't think of one that grabs you purely on it's looks.

I also don't get why people modify a 3 series? Most people buy one as it has four seats, four doors, a big boot and is great car to cart the family around in. But why they spend thousands of pounds trying to make it a car it's not? Gangzoom has already spent £22k which could have bought:

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/3688883.htm

Don't get me wrong I like BMW's but I can't think of one that grabs you purely on it's looks.

Whaaaat?

bmw_z8_side.jpg

alx_bmw_850csi_20061231_5.jpg

I like that about BMW's though as they arent in your face shouty cheap looking like audi's. A bmw and benz looks elegant and sophisticated. They arent Katie price but Katy Perry with black hair.

e39 m5's are still a stunning looking car IMO.

Yep, youd drive straight past these two without even looking ..........

1975_bmw_3.0_csl_art_car_by_alexander_calder.jpg

16027.jpg

And then youve got the E30 M3, Z1, Z8, Z4/Z4 Coupe, Z3M Coupe, M1, 8 series, M6, E39 M5, £0 Wagon, E30 convertible ........ hell, I even like 2002's :cloud9:

As for the other pics I posted, none of them are M3's, all three are just wheels and lowering, thats not major modification. Compared to anything short of a Alfa 159 or Maserati Quattroporte Im not sure theres a better looking 4 door on sale without smashing out megabucks. Not saying that it isnt subjective but relative to a Vauxhall Insignia or an Audi A4 they are much nicer looking B)

As for the other pics I posted, none of them are M3's, all three are just wheels and lowering, thats not major modification.

If they're not M3s they've gone to a lot of trouble to change the front wings and bonnet. I could be wrong but i've never seen those Bulged/Vented bonnets on any other 3 series.

DB

As for the other pics I posted, none of them are M3's, all three are just wheels and lowering, thats not major modification.

If they're not M3s they've gone to a lot of trouble to change the front wings and bonnet. I could be wrong but i've never seen those Bulged/Vented bonnets on any other 3 series.

DB

Fair play, the sites claimed they were 335's though. Either way they look bloody good to me eye :cloud9: