Car Wrapping services - Advice and experiences

agentsmith350

I would get a quote from RT, they did their own Zed in white and it looked mint.

Of course you have to look after it but

A) it protects your bodywork underneath

B) it's cheaper than a respray

C) you can rip it off if you get bored

D) it won't put off buyers when you come to sell, sometimes buyers are put off if a car has had a respray.

I think they are great IMO

These wrap threads always catch my eye, probably because I'm in the wrapping trade and am always surprised at how keen people are to do this to their cars.

The recent growing trend in doing privately owned cars is great for business, most who earn a living doing it are not exactly going to discourage you from doing it

but we always tell people to think twice, and some of the points illustrated by Tarmac highlight this.

Protects bodywork - true, well it protects your paint but so does wax. No vinyl wrap is going to be as good as your paint or as colourfast.

Yes some vinyls are very durable but on the whole, their UV fading properties are not as good as paint. Plus they damage easily as has been mentioned.

Cheaper than a respray? close call in my experience, anyone expecting a good wrap job to be much cheaper than a paint job will be disappointed I think.

You can rip it off when you get bored - have you ever tried to take off a full wrap? It's a mission, it's not really designed to come off easily. Plus removing glue left behind

is a bloody nightmare if you have that scenario. So in summary, this is not an easy five minute job. Plus you can do more damage to your paintwork removing vinyls

and adhesive than you gained by protecting it with a wrap.

It won't put buyers off - be very wary on this one. Any buyer in his right mind would walk away from a wrapped car because you simply don't know what's underneath it.

We constantly get people coming in to us asking if we can cover up paintwork scratches and the like with vinyls so they can sell the car.

Sorry I haven't been more positive about vinyl wraps on cars but I wanted to share my experience with anyone who is considering spending a lot of money on this.

What you have to remember is that wrapping was always really intended for commercial use in advertising, that's where it's value lies, in brand promotion.

There is no real value in wrapping a private car with no advertising, yet you'll pay similar money for it, just because it can be done.

In the commercial sector they are willing to pay for their vans to be professionally wrapped and removed, but I have never seen any real advantage

or value in doing this to your car, unless of course you have a vast amount of pocket money to blow and don't care either way.

Well Jay i called them up and the guy said yours was so cheap because they agreed that they could use it for shows and wouldnt do it with my car as they only choose one car at the start of each year and its already done :angry:

Price i was quoted was £1200 not including sills , using 3M vinyl too rather than the Hexis stuff RT use so that still way too high in my opinion :dry:

@ Jay

Thanks for the pics. Great looking car and the photos were really useful for me as they show what is possible on the inside of doors, under the bonnet etc. Personally love the colour as well.

@Paulzx

That is a very informative post from an insider. Never knew about the various disadvantages. Not too bothered about reselling the car as i intend to keep it until it becomes difficult to keep it on the road due to maintenance issues etc. Did not know about the UV fading issues as I thought this would have been considered in the vinyl production process. Is this common to all vinyls as far as your know. I'm particularly interested in this aspect as I live in an area which gets strong sunshine a large part of the year and the car is parked throughout the day in an open lot. Also we have many vinyls here which come from Mainland China which is expected as it's just up the road.

hexis is good stuff, i've used it alot its very forgiving.

stuff like the carbon is thicker due to the texture finish.

there is a next generation of vinyl on its way in the future which can be specified with actual automotive paint codes and can also be polished like paint to remove scratches etc.

no experience of the stuff yet but i'm contemplatng getting some samples to see what this stuff is like. but when and where in the UK it will be readily available i don't know.

Can't find any reviews ect on EliteFilms ( Liverpool £950 one ) , I've had a couple more quotes just waiting on a reply . At the moment it's between £950 for Hexis in Liverpool or a few hundred more for an Avery Wrap at total dynamic in Scotland

The guys at TD said the Avery stuff is better than both 3M and Hexis , is this true ?

i've used avery for vinyl cutting signs, but not tried wrapping with it or seen their wrapping films.

Both 3M and Hexis use air release technology to help with fitting, would need to research the avery stuff to be able to comment further

Im sorry but I have to say this. Avery is @*!#! Full stop. They rip so easily, a bitch to apply and don't last. That's why the're one of the cheapest vinyls wrappers are pushing cos it give a higher profit margin.

But that's our own opinion.

Best advice we can give is to look at their work in person.

Just like paint jobs, you're paying for the skill of the appicator. REad reviews and see ther work before you decide. Look carefully at the complicated parts and how they join or around edges and head lamps.

That's that difference between a cheap and expensive wrap.

Avery cant be that bad, as totally dynamic are one of if not the major wrapping companies within the uk. I had my wrap from them and I have to say they did a fantastic job and I would not expect anything bar perfection. My zed was wrapped for about 1 and half years before I sold it and I never had any problems at all...... could possibly be a bit of business talk going on here....... rather than facts. I am only giving my opinion anyone I know who has their car wrapped from TD is happy and they get a 3 year warranty..... which I never had to use :)

Jay i've worked with alot of vinyls and the only thing i've ever used avery for is vinyl cutting. its nice stuff to cut and the colour range is good. but they don't have the same reputation for wrapping as 3M and Hexis do.

I did alot of research when looking at supplying vinyl and avery didn't even make it on the list.

Jay i've worked with alot of vinyls and the only thing i've ever used avery for is vinyl cutting. its nice stuff to cut and the colour range is good. but they don't have the same reputation for wrapping as 3M and Hexis do.

I did alot of research when looking at supplying vinyl and avery didn't even make it on the list.

Cheers for that rich, I just dont understand how the main wrapping company in the U.K. uses them then? Bizzare... I stand corrected if this is true. I can only go on my experience with the wrap that was done for me, which I never had any problems with :thumbs:

Cheers for that rich, I just dont understand how the main wrapping company in the U.K. uses them then? Bizzare... I stand corrected if this is true. I can only go on my experience with the wrap that was done for me, which I never had any problems with :thumbs:

I have no experience in doing whole cars, and only worked on small parts, but found that the proper car wrapping vinyls like 3m and hexis were extremely maluable and easy to shape round tough curves, i'd tried using other vinyls that i'd bought in for cutting etc but found they would tear or split wven with heat if you tried to over manipulate them. it maybe avery has a specific automotive wrap vinyl but if they do its a well kept secret as when you search for it not a lot of comes up about it.

both hexis and 3m use air release tech that makes applying the vinyl easier, i've tried doing small wraps which don;t have this built in and they are a pig to get all the air out of.

i think you may find Jay that the place you used were very good at wrapping, hence why yours has gone on well. i've been to a place near me who used 3m stuff and his wrapping had joins all over the place it was very scrappy.

also i think you've taken good care of your car. which in turn has meant the vinyl has been well cared for.

as far as i've seen 3M and Hexis are the market leaders when it comes to vinyl production for auto wraps.

also every wrapper has their prefered methods, materials and tools. same as car detailers.

And just as i thought id made my mind up :lol:

So you guys are saying Hexis is the best stuff to go for out the 3 then yeah ?

i think the best thing is to go and see the quality of their work.

a vinyl wrap is only as good as the person wrapping it.

you can have the best stuf fin the world but if your crap at wrapping the wrap will look bad.

Thanks Rich ,

The Avery option is at the Same place Jay went but it's a good 3 hour trip since I live in the sticks so unfortunatly can't just pop round to take a look or I wouldn't be on here :lol:

I received some samples of Hexis today and it looks "ok" , will sound daft but didnt expect it to seem as plastic looking as it does :blush: .

Other places I've asked have said there's not much between Hexis and Avery apart from Hexis going on a bit easier so don't think it's a deal breaker.

Any other opinions welcomed :thumbs:

Christ £950 for a full wrap is a bargain!

my quotes I've had start at 1250 and go up to 2.5k!!!! Admittedly I'm looking at a pearlescent white colour but it's still not gold! Lol

I've been playing with 3m, hexis and a cheaper make on some carbon wrap for the interior and must admit the hexis feels so much better - in terms of feels stronger, takes a bit more pull to wrap but does it better, etc. but I'm no expert!

Thanks Rich ,

The Avery option is at the Same place Jay went but it's a good 3 hour trip since I live in the sticks so unfortunatly can't just pop round to take a look or I wouldn't be on here :lol:

I received some samples of Hexis today and it looks "ok" , will sound daft but didnt expect it to seem as plastic looking as it does :blush: .

Other places I've asked have said there's not much between Hexis and Avery apart from Hexis going on a bit easier so don't think it's a deal breaker.

Any other opinions welcomed :thumbs:

Im no expert but Ive seen and felt cheaper vinyl it doesnt look as expensive as 3m or hexis. It has a funny look like it reflects the light back funny but it might have been the light on the day. If your spending close to a grand to chav up your car do it properly and go hexis :p:thumbs:

personally i wouldn't go with a gloss colour, as you said its very 2 dimensional, i'd be spending the extra for metallic finish vinyls. or go with a matt finish. there is a depth to paint that i don't think most gloss vinyl can't achieve.

Christ £950 for a full wrap is a bargain!

my quotes I've had start at 1250 and go up to 2.5k!!!! Admittedly I'm looking at a pearlescent white colour but it's still not gold! Lol

I've been playing with 3m, hexis and a cheaper make on some carbon wrap for the interior and must admit the hexis feels so much better - in terms of feels stronger, takes a bit more pull to wrap but does it better, etc. but I'm no expert!

Its a little too cheap , have to wonder how they can offer it half the price of other places , TO be fair to them iv had samples and things from them when other bigger companies haven't even replied.

Im no expert but Ive seen and felt cheaper vinyl it doesnt look as expensive as 3m or hexis. It has a funny look like it reflects the light back funny but it might have been the light on the day. If your spending close to a grand to chav up your car do it properly and go hexis :p:thumbs:

Chav up ? :wacko:

personally i wouldn't go with a gloss colour, as you said its very 2 dimensional, i'd be spending the extra for metallic finish vinyls. or go with a matt finish. there is a depth to paint that i don't think most gloss vinyl can't achieve.

:thumbs: Iv asked a couple places if they do a metallic finish vinyl and what they think about matte , i know what you mean i was shocked at how much the sample looked like something from a sticker book :blush: