When did 350z performance become the "norm"?

mmaci12969

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry for the vague title.....

I have been a Zed owner for about a month. It was a huge step up from a Vectra 2.2 SRI Direct as you can imagine. Initially i was a bit nervous about the obvious jump in performance and extra fuel costs.....

Anyway a month later.......

What a car!

Delighted!

Fuel is not as bad as i expected (obviously its not great but we all knew that!). However i have become really used to the performance when i expected a huge learning curve. I have access to a 2.0T astra SRI and a 1.6T Corsa SRI which in the past i deemed "pretty damned fast" but i havent driven them sincd the Zed arrived.

My question is really at what point in your 350z ownership did the level of performance it throws out become "normal"? I love the car so much already i cant imagine dropping back!

I hope the question makes sense!

I think your question is a slightly strange one, I'm trying to work it out. I'll try my best to give a response to what I think you've asked without being to 'round and about'.

I've had my Zed for just over 2 years and I really enjoy it. It's got an amount of torque which makes driving it fun. It's got a balance which I enjoy, it handles well and is pretty predictable with enough 'arse wiggle' to put a smile on my face. It tears up to 70mph on the motorway without any difficulty or problems and I find it's pretty comfortable getting there.

My zed currently runs about 293bhp, which for a 2003 car with new exhaust, plenum, Uprev etc I'm pretty happy with. More importantly I'm happy with that level of power and how the car applies / moves / works with it........for the car it is and how I drive it. For me those last few words are key.

I've been very lucky to drive some great cars:- Gallardo, SL 55 AMG, AMV8 etc and they have all been fantastic in their own way. Certainly the Gallardo and SL55 had much more power, more poise, more theatre about them. However I never really got the chance to fully use any of that power. The odd blast here and there but all too often it would be over because they were so quick I'd run out of road, there'd be a bend, a junction, a blind crest, traffic or whatever. So despite all that power, all that extra grunt, I only got to use it sparingly although it was a great thrill when you got the chance.

That's because most of the time I was doing 'normal' driving. Pootling along at 30mph in villages or towns, 40 / 50mph on A and B roads or 60 / 70mph on dual carriageways or motorways. Most of the time in the Zed, I am doing 'normal' driving, and travelling at 'normal' speeds. I enjoy driving the Zed at whatever speed to be honest, I certainly don't need all that power scooting around town doing the shopping. I guess this is where my real response is (finally).

I drive normally most of the time, I don't use the full potential of the Zed each and every second I'm in it. I don't use that full 293bhp at every moment, squeezing every drop of performance out of it, wringing it's neck for every ounce of satisfaction.

I can say that in the Zed I get better opportunities to enjoy more of the available power when I want it over driving the Lambo and the Merc and that for me is what it's about. For me the 'power' of the Zed will never become normal because I don't drive it at 'full tilt' all the time. Much like I didn't / couldn't with those other cars. When I get the chance to 'give it the beans' it's still great fun and that's one of the main reasons I decided to buy a Zed.

I am assuming this is to do with the 350z being the base power level from which you then have a desire for more.

In one sense you always want more. When I put my foot down in the Caterham for the first time I thought "I'll never need/want more than this". Then after a few weeks you want an R300, then and 400 and so on. In tin-top terms I thought this the first time I drove an Evo 6 and so it goes on.

However, there is more to life and I have to say that in terms of overall enjoyment I would put the 350z in the same bracket as my Alfasud Ti which only had 95bhp but there is something about them that you can't quite put your finger on. On the road you can't drive at 10/10ths all the time - so absolute power is not that relevant - albeit nice for a short burst.

They are fast until you drive a 400hp car. :D

TBH, I still find mine quick enough to scare myself in, but whatever I have next will be 400+. Even a GTR doesnt feel as fast once youve driven something with over 600hp, its all relative. :)

TBH i dont think ive explained myself very well at all!!

I certainly dont mean that 300bhp is "normal" in any way shape or form or that im some sort of driving hero who has made the step up and am dismissing it - far far from it! Im still very much learning how to handle the car and its power and i think i will be for a long time to come!

What i was meaning was from the point of view of driving it every day i think i would find the STEP DOWN to "normal" cars hugely disappointing already. And thats after only 4 weeks in the Zed as part of being a driver for over 16 years! I feel i might have been spoiled now!!

Hope that makes more sense!

I certainly dont mean that 300bhp is "normal" in any way shape or form or that im some sort of driving hero who has made the step up and am dismissing it - far far from it! Im still very much learning how to handle the car and its power and i think i will be for a long time to come!

What i was meaning was from the point of view of driving it every day i think i would find the STEP DOWN to "normal" cars hugely disappointing already. And thats after only 4 weeks in the Zed as part of being a driver for over 16 years! I feel i might have been spoiled now!!

As said previously its all relative, and totally dependent on what you used to and previous experience, sound like you have taken a step up from FWD and obviously something that had a fair bit less power,

Once you get to grips with the handling characteristics and extra power it will feel perfectly normal,

It was just the same for me but in reverse, having come from mad power RWD turbo cars to something with less than half the power output, meant i had to relearn how to drive with less, and couldn't do some of the things i could before.

Ah yes, you've made yourself a bit clearer, I think I know what you mean. Once you've driven something which is more driver focused and designed, like the Zed, it does change your perspective a bit.

When I had to take my car in to have some body repairs done just over a year ago I had a year old Ford Fiesta as a courtesy car. I was glad to have it as I could still work, see clients, potter about etc.

However; although I scooted around in it and it was ok. It was..... on reflection.......utterly 5h1t as a car in providing feedback, balance or a sense of being 'in touch' with the road. I think that's what you mean, a Mondeo / Vectra / Laguna etc, etc feels like a nice car until you drive a BMW, Porsche, MX-5, Impreza, Evo, Zed etc and then you realise you've been driving a jelly with a shrimp for a steering wheel, four wine gums as wheels and a panda pop as an engine.

Fair enough. Enjoy your Z. Learn it slowly and get it driven :thumbs:

Ah yes, you've made yourself a bit clearer, I think I know what you mean. Once you've driven something which is more driver focused and designed, like the Zed, it does change your perspective a bit.

When I had to take my car in to have some body repairs done just over a year ago I had a year old Ford Fiesta as a courtesy car. I was glad to have it as I could still work, see clients, potter about etc.

However; although I scooted around in it and it was ok. It was..... on reflection.......utterly 5h1t as a car in providing feedback, balance or a sense of being 'in touch' with the road. I think that's what you mean, a Mondeo / Vectra / Laguna etc, etc feels like a nice car until you drive a BMW, Porsche, MX-5, Impreza, Evo, Zed etc and then you realise you've been driving a jelly with a shrimp for a steering wheel, four wine gums as wheels and a panda pop as an engine.

Im just amazed at how quickly i love having that level of power albeit as i say i still have a lot to learn! My previous car was a Vectra 2.2 SRI and ive had various other "normal" cars prior to that. After only 4 weeks of Zed ownership i think i would hate (circumstances permitting of course) to have to make the step back again.

I really didnt expect to feel that way so quickly so i guess thats what prompted the thread in the first place!

What i was meaning was from the point of view of driving it every day i think i would find the STEP DOWN to "normal" cars hugely disappointing already.

Well, in my case just after I test-drove the first zed, I went on another test drive with a diesel 1-Series beemer, which was the alternative for a "sensible" car. Quite a bit of poke, also real-wheel drive, but just so underwhelming. A week after I test-drove an S3, and even though it felt more of a match and shifted pretty well, it still didn't bring a buzz. Then pretty much everything I've driven since (and that means a whole bunch of "normal" cars) felt like a step down.

Ive got a 170hp 306 and a 130hp MR2, admittedly they are lighter but they are still great fun to drive and quick with it. What you notice with "lesser" cars after the Zed isnt the outright speed, its that they dont feel as rewarding - even faster, more powerful, more expensive cars in some cases. :thumbs:

I've had my 350z a week now. After come from a Seat Ibiza Cupra and a non turbo supra, the power isn't intimidating just very linear.

Everything about the car is progressive; brake, handling, power.

Which makes it great fun to drive, very satisfying when you are flowing through corners at some pace :)

I've had my 350z a week now. After come from a Seat Ibiza Cupra and a non turbo supra, the power isn't intimidating just very linear.

Which makes it great fun to drive, very satisfying when you are flowing through corners at some pace :)

Good summary, for someone still new to the car :thumbs:

Good summary, for someone still new to the car :thumbs:

Yeah totally agree.

For all that a 300bhp car is infinately more dangerous compared to a run of the mill car i tend to feel that its safer in many ways too.

I feel more secure in the zed as stupid as that may seem.

If you drive like an idiot you can kill yourself in a 1.2 Corsa, driving like an idiot you just do it more quickly in a Zed.

However if someone else is driving like an idiot i feel reassured that if i hit the accelerator it will get me out of a situation. Equally if i brake the car stops with force. If someone pulls out in front of me in normal driving conditions i can avoid it and if i have to do an emergency stop from 30mph in town the Zed is almost to a hault instantly.

After a few months living with the depressing de-sensitizing greyness of driving in England, I find a long weekend in Scotland invigorating in the Zed

(I was born in Berkshire and brought up in Hampshire, now live in Manchester so this is plain positive choice, not jingo-ism)

The roads aren't always great - though the view frequently is - but twisting and interesting roads at 50 are far nicer than the M6 or M62 or M25 or M1

I'd suggest a weekend in Scotland as medicine - haven't worked out yet how to charge it to the NHS but it's definitely worth it

I thought it was a bit jerky at 1st, as though it was on a leash.

Someone I knew mentioned rocket man and Abbey Motorsport so I dropped them an email.

3 weeks later l had a Milltek cat back exhaust, decats, and an uprev.

The difference was unbelievable in so much that the car was smooth and you could really feel the power difference.

Another 6 weeks and it was back to Abbey for a GTM Supercharger.

I don't look to achieve more power now, because I know that what I have under the hood will always be exciting.

Would I do it all again?

You bet I would.

thenoname

:drive1

For all that a 300bhp car is infinately more dangerous compared to a run of the mill car i tend to feel that its safer in many ways too.

I feel more secure in the zed as stupid as that may seem.

If you drive like an idiot you can kill yourself in a 1.2 Corsa, driving like an idiot you just do it more quickly in a Zed.

However if someone else is driving like an idiot i feel reassured that if i hit the accelerator it will get me out of a situation. Equally if i brake the car stops with force. If someone pulls out in front of me in normal driving conditions i can avoid it and if i have to do an emergency stop from 30mph in town the Zed is almost to a hault instantly.

+1 :thumbs:

I've had my zed for just over a year now and it's getting a little boring for me. I think it's because I haven't had any decent drives in ages. There's still a few times where I pull away and my head gets pushed into the back of the seat though :p. I hope I get Japfest off work this year as the drive should make things fun again.

Try the M25 at 3am. You might only have to stop the once to plop a £1 coin in the QE bridge toll. Then again they might filter down to one lane and divert you due to overnight sufacing, so you may be stuck in traffic. Hopefully if you are you might post and tell us about your experience! Then we can have a laugh:) :yahoo:

I have never had a sweetie as a courtesy car b4! :lol:

Although i have driven a number of vehicles around the 200 - 240 bhp mark i find the Z a bit lacking in fairness. The former mentioned vehicles seemed much more lively. My other cars are a Vectra and a Celica so i have a good comparison with the Z and lower bhp vehicles. There must be something wrong with mine ??? Although it's 276bhp, which makes it 100bhp more than the celica, i was expecting it to rip my arms off but have been pretty disapointed really. Its not the performance animal i was expecting, so in answer to the original question i got used to mine after about 10 minutes :thumbdown:

Although i have driven a number of vehicles around the 200 - 240 bhp mark i find the Z a bit lacking in fairness. The former mentioned vehicles seemed much more lively. My other cars are a Vectra and a Celica so i have a good comparison with the Z and lower bhp vehicles. There must be something wrong with mine ??? Although it's 276bhp, which makes it 100bhp more than the celica, i was expecting it to rip my arms off but have been pretty disapointed really. Its not the performance animal i was expecting, so in answer to the original question i got used to mine after about 10 minutes :thumbdown:

In reality, the zed is going to be considerably faster and more powerful, but you will not feel it in the same way as the torque curve is going to be considerably more flat than in your previous cars. It's the old argument of your Celica feeling like 100mph when you're doing 50 and the zed feeling like 50 when you're doing 100. :)

Yes i guess that must be the case. The Z is deceptively quick and higher speeds certainly dont feel that high. It seems as though the Z hides the speed well but in fairness i find it a bit boring to drive because of this. None of my cars get thrashed as i have too much mechanical sympathy but i do use moderate acceleration to get through the gears. The Celica is a 20 year old gen 5 (ST182) but in comparison is more satisfying to drive. Its bizarre. When it comes to playing tunes with the exhaust the Z wins everytime but for me thats its only endearing feature.

RXS I know what you mean about the zed, it hides it's speed very well, it does sound awesome though. Before I had the zed I had a Integra Type R (DC2), whislt not as fast as the zed it felt a bit more involving to drive and I love the b18 soundtrack. Would love to own another at some point