When did 350z performance become the "norm"?

mmaci12969

Sorry for the vague title.....

I have been a Zed owner for about a month. It was a huge step up from a Vectra 2.2 SRI Direct as you can imagine. Initially i was a bit nervous about the obvious jump in performance and extra fuel costs.....

Anyway a month later.......

What a car!

Delighted!

Fuel is not as bad as i expected (obviously its not great but we all knew that!). However i have become really used to the performance when i expected a huge learning curve. I have access to a 2.0T astra SRI and a 1.6T Corsa SRI which in the past i deemed "pretty damned fast" but i havent driven them sincd the Zed arrived.

My question is really at what point in your 350z ownership did the level of performance it throws out become "normal"? I love the car so much already i cant imagine dropping back!

I hope the question makes sense!

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe never :drive1

Especially if you get back in the Astra or Corsa for a while then back in the Zed :cloud9:

:welcome::wave:

Thanks for the welcome!!!

Thats my point though! I havent been back in the corsa or astra since i got the Zed! I cant help but feel im already spoiled for other cars!

Am i doomed to a life of seeking 300bhp as a minimum requirement?!!

I'll inevitably crash a car at a roundabout looking for Zed power in a Focus or some such!!

Maybe never :drive1

Especially if you get back in the Astra or Corsa for a while then back in the Zed :cloud9:

:welcome::wave:

Thanks for the welcome!!!

Thats my point though! I havent been back in the corsa or astra since i got the Zed! I cant help but feel im already spoiled for other cars!

Am i doomed to a life of seeking 300bhp as a minimum requirement?!!

I'll inevitably crash a car at a roundabout looking for Zed power in a Focus or some such!!

You will be ok, the novelty will unfortunately wear off but then when you drive a 'normal' car you will long to get back behind the wheel of your baby which will feel twice as fast again ;)

That reminds me I haven't driven mine all week..... must go for a drive tomorrow :cloud9:

I think it all depends on how you drive your cars. If you're booting it all the time you will soon get used to the performance, owners of GTRs soon get used to the performance and want more. However if you drive normally most of the time and have the odd moment where you push the car i think it will always seem pretty fast.

I don't think it ever does become "normal"... part of the joy of owning a performance car really... you can drive "normally" most of the time and use it as regular car, same as you can just open up the window and be dully reminded it's not "normal". I'd say it's the character of the car just as much as performance that keeps it out of the norm

you'll rarely be able to use all the power on the road in day to day driving, so when you are able to get out for a proper drive it'll feel special.

Its just the little moments... joining a 3 lane A road at midnight a few nights ago i stayed in 3rd all the way to the redline - goodbye, lesser cars! :cloud9: Just need an exhaust for full aural pleasure!

Iv had a really pants week at work,and decided to take the direct country lane route home this week,and really enjoyed the drive. Was dark,so you could see if anything was coming the other way, i know the road pretty well,and just loved being able to push the car abit more than my usual straight road way into work. I something drive Estelle's Swift Sport,and hate the lack of power in it,so know what the OP is saying,anything without the noise and power is just not cricket.

When we move in 3 weeks,il enjoy just getting the Zed out when i want to drive it,as opposed to every day for the 30 mile trip each way. Though i love driving it all the time, tonight's spirited drive really highlighted what iv been missing by taking the dull way into work.

The thing is I totally agree with every post so far but im not sure its what i meant. Sorry if im being obtuse here, maybe everyone who has posted will get what i mean.

Obviously a Zed has a lot of power and for most of us its a step up from what we have had before.

What im trying to ask is does the zed become the norm?

At the start of ownership the Zed would have been immense but how long is it before anything less would be seen as a step down?

I think it depends on a number of factors,like how often you drive the Zed,and what other cars you have access to and things like that. I drive 30miles each way to work,so for me to jump into anything else slower, is a real hardship for me. Though if you drove the Zed at weekends only,and drove something else during the week,it maybe different

The thing is I totally agree with every post so far but im not sure its what i meant. Sorry if im being obtuse here, maybe everyone who has posted will get what i mean.

Obviously a Zed has a lot of power and for most of us its a step up from what we have had before.

At the start of ownership the Zed would have been immense but how long is it before anything less would be seen as a step down?

All depends really I guess.

I have a little diesel hatchback that goes like a rocket so never have that much of a step down really....

Im getting :wheelchair: so my Zed is probably the fastest thing I will ever own, I will more than likely miss it but other things take priority like comfort etc after a while I guess....

I think what you are asking is a bit too subjective to answer properly, different for everyone :shrug:

Anyway nice to have a different sort of welcome post from the usual 'how can I get 350bhp for £50' threads :lol:

ok bare with me on this one...

I just px'd my zed :byebye: after 2 yrs of ownership for a Saab 9-3 Areo 2.8 v6 Turbo rag top (just one car Ive always liked to try) and tbh quite honest im gutted. I really miss the torque of the zed coz thats what gives you (me) the ultimate buzz. The Saab has enough ummffh to keep up with my old zed, but its the power delivery i miss...ive now had this saab for appox 2 weeks and already looking to get rid of it.

Im now looking to get myself Merc slk350 or 55 AMG to try something differant........maybe I just get bored of cars easily lol." ( approx 24 cars in 24 yrs of driving) :bangin:

So I guess the moral of the story is.........you never really get bored of the zeds power ... :blush:

I just px'd my zed :byebye: after 2 yrs of ownership for a Saab 9-3 Areo 2.8 v6 Turbo rag top (just one car Ive always liked to try) and tbh quite honest im gutted. I really miss the torque of the zed coz thats what gives you (me) the ultimate buzz. The Saab has enough ummffh to keep up with my old zed, but its the power delivery i miss...ive now had this saab for appox 2 weeks and already looking to get rid of it.

Im now looking to get myself Merc slk350 or 55 AMG to try something differant........maybe I just get bored of cars easily lol." ( approx 24 cars in 24 yrs of driving) :bangin:

So I guess the moral of the story is.........you never really get bored of the zeds power ... :blush:

slk350 hairdress mobile

slk55 amg hero chariot :D

Sorry for the vague title.....

I have been a Zed owner for about a month. It was a huge step up from a Vectra 2.2 SRI Direct as you can imagine. Initially i was a bit nervous about the obvious jump in performance and extra fuel costs.....

Anyway a month later.......

What a car!

Delighted!

Fuel is not as bad as i expected (obviously its not great but we all knew that!). However i have become really used to the performance when i expected a huge learning curve. I have access to a 2.0T astra SRI and a 1.6T Corsa SRI which in the past i deemed "pretty damned fast" but i havent driven them sincd the Zed arrived.

My question is really at what point in your 350z ownership did the level of performance it throws out become "normal"? I love the car so much already i cant imagine dropping back!

I hope the question makes sense!

Since the power of your Z is now normal to you, try it with the TC turned off.

Thats when the learning curve will become more apparent.

Is this your first rear wheel drive car?

I think it all depends on how you drive your cars. If you're booting it all the time you will soon get used to the performance, owners of GTRs soon get used to the performance and want more. However if you drive normally most of the time and have the odd moment where you push the car i think it will always seem pretty fast.

I agree, I drove my GTR35 the way she deserved to be driven :drive1 ( 162 was my top speed in her ) I always wanted to push for more, since I sold her :byebye: NO other car gives me the same rush but my 350Z is a lot of fun and much easier on the bank balance :thumbs:

:welcome: to the forum :)

There are too many people these days who say 300bhp cars are easy to drive quickly.

I normaly find alot of these people dont turn the TC off and are "straight line jockeys".

Get the TC off, go and drive it properly and then come back and say its normal. :dance:

[steve-R ] wrote:

-------------

I bought a Mercedes CLK55 AMG after I sold the GTR35 but I sold it after 6 weeks as I felt the ride was just boring :thumbdown: ....the 350Z is waaaay more fun :bounce::thumbs:

Lol! and I thought I was a rarity when it comes to a fast turnover in car purchases :lol: