Bad back - my zed is the cause?! :-(

marzman

This is not good... i've had a very bad back for the last 4 years, i have 2 crushed discs at the base of my spine which i had surgery on in 2008, but i've never fully recovered and still suffer daily pain, sometimes completely imobilizing pain!

I first started with my back problems around 8 weeks after i bought my first zed. Everyone always joked that it was the car causing me pain but i never really believed it.

When i sold my first zed in 2010 i had a bmw for about 6 months and my back was okay... but i didnt really connect the two as i'd started cycling at the time and thought that was why the pain had stopped.

So i got my current zed in Feb 2011 and suffered most of the year with back pain again, but then i'd noticed that i hadn't had any pain at all for the last 4 months and i thought i'd finally turned a corner... but this coincided with me not using my zed for over 3 months this winter!

Then now this year... i've not had any pain at all... until this week. I got my zed back on the road 7 days ago and i've had back pain ever since, finally resulting in today getting out of my car at work and i literally can not walk!! Im in agony!!

I've always put it down to coincidence that my back has been okay when im not in the zed but i think today has proved it that it is probably the cause.

So do i sell the zed...? What would you do?

Anyone want to swap me a Range Rover Sport for it?

It certainly could be the zed - a combination of the hard suspension and seat / seating position. When ive been driving my missus`s car all week, then climb into the zed I really do notice how much harder it is. If you already have a back injury it will only aggravate it.

Do you go to the gym at all? My dad has a bad back but finds it better when he goes to the gym, he had a old golf and a tts, he did say the sport mode on the tt would hurt after a long drive but also said the wallowing/rocking from the golf hurt aslwell if he drove it fast. What is your seating possition like in the z? Do you sit at a angle or have the seat back vertical?

I have also suffered with two crushed discs in my lower back, but I have found the Z to be one of the least back ache inducing cars I've ever owned, even being in it for two hours or more at a time.

I find that many quite random things can trigger a bad back for days or even weeks at a time, getting in or out of the car awkwardly (in a tight parking space, for example) can do it, but for me, driving the Z has never caused me greif.

The heated seats can soothe a bad back quite nicely too!

Change the seats for something more supportive. Zed seats are comfortable but not supportive, you ideally want something that's more hugging and gives you support on your lower back.

Fellow S5/L5 disc sufferer here, just waiting for an appointment with a consultant regarding an op on my own back. :surrender:

I think you've highlighted enough to suggest that this probably isn't a coincidence.

Obviously health is the most important thing, but I'd be trying all sorts of seat cover back massages among other things before getting rid of the Zed!

Hope u find a solution mate.

I think you've highlighted enough to suggest that this probably isn't a coincidence.

Obviously health is the most important thing, but I'd be trying all sorts of seat cover back massages among other things before getting rid of the Zed!

Hope u find a solution mate.

mabe one of these :blush:beaded-seat-cover-single-1195-p.jpg

I have also suffered with two crushed discs in my lower back, but I have found the Z to be one of the least back ache inducing cars I've ever owned, even being in it for two hours or more at a time.

I find that many quite random things can trigger a bad back for days or even weeks at a time, getting in or out of the car awkwardly (in a tight parking space, for example) can do it, but for me, driving the Z has never caused me greif.

The heated seats can soothe a bad back quite nicely too!

Im totally with Martin on this one.

I suffered a prolapsed L5 disc in Oct 2010, which took me off my feet for 2 months. I could not sit or stand for more than 30 seconds before the pain became crippling. I spent 2 months on my back, dosed on pain killers/anti inflammatory drugs till I had my 2nd cortisone steroid injection. I had to eat like a dog, and could not go to the bathroom/shower without assistance. Anyway - forget the past...

A couple of points..

a) after the injection and more rest, I took it very easy and slowly over the course of a year have built up from gentle physio/swimming, to regular pilates and weights at the gym. It is a huge help! I feel the difference if I miss a pilates session (you need a good instructor though, bad instructors can do further damage)

B) I have found the Z seats and driving position one of the most comfortable I've had. The only point at which I have to be careful is when exiting in the car - I breath out and engage my core muscles before exiting... as it can be awkward in tight spaces.

The issues that upset my back are tight hamstrings and weak core muscles (as I have a desk job). Only cure for me is to keep moving, exercise my core and stretch the hamstrings as much as possible.

Is your injury treatable? Or have you been told it is with you for life?

If there is a way you can sort your back out, getting your back better will bring more benefits than changing your surroundings to suit your injury.

Hope you get better soon - I know how horrible back pain can be.

I have a natually bad posture and my back aches a lot but having drove 1700miles round Europe in the Zed I can comfortably (boomboom) say that the seats are awsomely comfortable - I got out of the car feeling quite fresh each time.

I agree with ricey. I have a dodgy back after an accident a fair few years ago and being stupidly tall doesnt help. But after our 2500 mile around scotland on the hoon i was amazed to find the 350z was so comfortable and didnt cause any problems

I agree with what others have said re core strength, swimming and pilates.

Were the other cars autos? It could be operating the clutch - there is a lot of overlap/referred pain overlap between back and legs.

Good luck.

I agree with ricey. I have a dodgy back after an accident a fair few years ago and being stupidly tall doesnt help. But after our 2500 mile around scotland on the hoon i was amazed to find the 350z was so comfortable and didnt cause any problems

Taller people are going to be at a higher risk of having back problems at some stage in their life, at least that's what the doctor told me :) . I have a non chronic back problem caused by having one leg 5/8" longer than the other :scare: . This causes a minor backache plus considerable stiffness after an hour or so of driving, it's something I've got used to as it first reared its ugly head when I was teenager. The worst types of car for me are things like the Ford Explorer I rented in the States (not my choice, it was all they had), not only did my back ache but my thigh muscles almost seized up. That said, I find The Zed to be very comfortable. The longest drive I've done in it was a 4 hour drive to Cardiff, just a little bit of stiffness, I've done that drive in The Clio about 10 times and I need a good 10 minutes of stretching exercises to get rid of the discomfort.

Pete

What is your seating position like in the z? Do you sit at a angle or have the seat back vertical?

Could even something as simple as a small lumbar cushion help, if the basic seating position is right for you?

If there is a way you can sort your back out, getting your back better will bring more benefits than changing your surroundings to suit your injury.

With total respect to you, and anyone here in the medical profession, sometimes it can be mind over matter too in what can be deliberating situations.

Also another thing worth thinking about is rare earth magnets, like the tiny little magnets used in wrist and knee supports that elderly people use. Those little magnets can be fantastic at relieving inflammation and pain. Even if you can't buy a pack of them, buy one of those supports, rip it open and cut the magnets out, use really sticky plasters to hold them in place. Try a few over the effected area.

Good luck Chris. :console:

It certainly could be the zed - a combination of the hard suspension and seat / seating position. When ive been driving my missus`s car all week, then climb into the zed I really do notice how much harder it is. If you already have a back injury it will only aggravate it.

I have to say that I find the Zed seat to be THE most uncomfortable seat ever :thumbdown: I always get pain in my back and shoulders on a long journey despite constantly trying to reposition the seat, but....I would not sell her...change the seats maybe?

I suffered a prolapsed L5 disc in Oct 2010, which took me off my feet for 2 months. I could not sit or stand for more than 30 seconds before the pain became crippling. I spent 2 months on my back, dosed on pain killers/anti inflammatory drugs till I had my 2nd cortisone steroid injection. I had to eat like a dog, and could not go to the bathroom/shower without assistance. Anyway - forget the past...

A couple of points..

a) after the injection and more rest, I took it very easy and slowly over the course of a year have built up from gentle physio/swimming, to regular pilates and weights at the gym. It is a huge help! I feel the difference if I miss a pilates session (you need a good instructor though, bad instructors can do further damage)

B) I have found the Z seats and driving position one of the most comfortable I've had. The only point at which I have to be careful is when exiting in the car - I breath out and engage my core muscles before exiting... as it can be awkward in tight spaces.

The issues that upset my back are tight hamstrings and weak core muscles (as I have a desk job). Only cure for me is to keep moving, exercise my core and stretch the hamstrings as much as possible.

Hope you get better soon - I know how horrible back pain can be.

Thanks Rayhoop... sounds like our injuries are qute smilar. However my post-op treatment was non-existant 4 years ago (depite having private healthcare!) so i was never told i was supposed to have physio, or any follow up pain management treatment such as injections etc. Before my surgery i was told it would cure my problem and i'd be back playing football in 3 months, but a year later and i was still in agony so i had another scan and was told that the injury wasnt getting any worse, but didnt look much better - so the surgery was a failure really. My next course of treatment would therefore have to be a titanium disc replacement, both the doctor and I were reluctant to do this as i was only 24 so it hasnt progressed.... but im sure this will be on the cards in the future.

In terms of exercise, im extremely limited in what i can do... i cant do any running or impact exercises - with cycling seemingly the only thing i can do without injuring myself further... but it just takes so long to do that i dont bother half the time. :blush: I've got no patience to do pilates/yoga... i know its no excuse but i cant put my mind to non-competitive exercise :lol:

So onto the zed... everyone that's mentioned about the zed being very comfortable... you're right. Thinking about it i do find it very comfortable and never get any pains while driving (Nurburgring and back in 36hrs was easy!)... so maybe it is simply the entering and exiting of the car thats causing me problems. I'll make a degtermined effort from now on to do this sensibly to see if it improves things.

Thanks everyone. :thumbs: