How to - Repaint interior door trim/mirror switch

jinxy

I have read a lot of guides on here that have been very useful so thought I would do a quick one of my own.

The scratches on the inner door panel near the mirror switches has always annoyed me and it seems to be a common problem due to the strange ‘rubberised finish that Nissan used that is very easy to scratch.

Below is the process I used for repainting the handle, please feel free to comment and add any suggestions.

Parts required

Wet/dry paper

Plastic spray paint & primer (I used Plasti-kote, see below)

IMG_0524.jpg

Process

1. First remove the arm rest by lifting it up by hand starting on the end nearest the edge of the door. Might need a bit of a pull but will pop off.

IMG_0512.jpg

2. Now prise out the screw cover using a flathead screwdriver

IMG_0514.jpg

3. Unscrew and the panel and lift and unplug the two mirror & window control units.

IMG_0515.jpg

4. Unclip the control units from the plastic trim.

IMG_0518.jpg

5. Prep the trim by washing/degreasing and rub over with a bit of wet/dry paper

IMG_0521.jpg

6. Spay a couple of coats of primer to prepare the surface and improve the adhesion

7. Spray several fine coats of matt black paint and leave to dry

8. Remount the control units into the trim

IMG_0536.jpg

9. Plug in control units and reattach to door card

IMG_0545.jpg

I found the finish to be slightly textured compared to the original bit still OEM looking and blends in well. Hope this guide helps someone else with the same problem!

IMG_0534.jpg

That looks really good, you just have to do the rest of the door card.

Yeah, the paint has a nice textured finish that works very well just have to see how hard wearing it is!

The other marks aren't that bad on the door card and don't worry me as much as you can't see the white undercoat but might get round to them at some point!

Is it quite a rough finish? Sometimes when ive done matt paint it shows marks easily as its been a kind of rough finish.

Looks very nice tho, i need to do mine as mine has a few scratches on it - from the previous owner i hasten to add.

Ditto can you let us know how it stands up to a bit of wear.

:thumbs:

Very nice job and definitely something everyone should do as nearly every Z we've worked on has a warn trim however may I recommend not using plasti coat. Though it covers very well because it's very thick, it's not very durable and will flake and scratch off very easily.

• 3 months later...

Good tips. Thanks for the suggestions.

I don't mind the textured finish, looks OEM style still.

What paint would you go for then RT? I will have to see how the plastikote stands up to a bit of wear and tare.

I would also like to know what paint RT would recommend as i need to do this job on my newly acquired Zed,

great guide by the way :thumbs:

What paint would you go for then RT? I will have to see how the plastikote stands up to a bit of wear and tare.

I would also like to know what paint RT would recommend as i need to do this job on my newly acquired Zed,

The paint I used has stood up to any wear and tare so far... still looks as good as when I first painted it.

The paint I used has stood up to any wear and tare so far... still looks as good as when I first painted it.

Thanks jinxy, that's the paint i`ll use then :thumbs:

• 11 months later...