350z as a daily commuter/used for work purposes..?

FUG

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

rabbitstew - how much is your weekly commute costing in fuel ??

Just checked it again and vpower is 143.9 near me. So, that works out at £117 per week just on fuel.

Why not use Tesco or Sainsbury Super fair bit cheaper and then at least then you will get points..... :shrug:

Well I used to always use Tesco`s Momentum so id get clubcard points, and it was about 2p a litre cheaper. Id read an in depth test on the net where someone actually tested Momentum and it came out as good as vpower and better than all the other "super" unleaded`s.

But this last couple of months ive actually been putting shell vpower in it and I am noticing an improvement in performance. The car seems so much better. I didnt expect any difference at all, but the car does feel better. It may or may not be psychological, but i didnt fill up with vpower expecting any improvement, so for the sake of 2p (or £1.63 a week for me), i figured id may as well use vpower.

rabbitstew - how much is your weekly commute costing in fuel ??

Just checked it again and vpower is 143.9 near me. So, that works out at £117 per week just on fuel.

Why not use Tesco or Sainsbury Super fair bit cheaper and then at least then you will get points..... :shrug:

Well I used to always use Tesco`s Momentum so id get clubcard points, and it was about 2p a litre cheaper. Id read an in depth test on the net where someone actually tested Momentum and it came out as good as vpower and better than all the other "super" unleaded`s.

But this last couple of months ive actually been putting shell vpower in it and I am noticing an improvement in performance. The car seems so much better. I didnt expect any difference at all, but the car does feel better. It may or may not be psychological, but i didnt fill up with vpower expecting any improvement, so for the sake of 2p (or £1.63 a week for me), i figured id may as well use vpower.

If it was the thorney motorsport or something one its not worth beleving as they are sponsored by tesco's.

I agree though V-power gives my car a bit more of a kick and its smoother too. I dunno. Vpower is just silly expensive though.

I bought my zed last year. When i bought it i knew how bad the mpg would be, but in the end i was getting 21 mpg everywhere. Car was fully serviced and always run on tesco momentum.

I dont regret buying it but im glad to see the back of it. ;)

Now drive a brand new 320i m sport and although its a totally different car im loving it and getting 45 mpg everywhere!

Vpower is just silly expensive though.

Well, the cost of the additive worked out at about £3 per litre, I worked for the company that supplied an early version to Shell, it actually cost us £2.20 a litre to produce it. However, the treatment level is fairly low so the profit that Shell is making is not that excessive, you're probably looking at somewhere around 2.0p worth per litre but bear in mind that Shell have to blend it and that'll take a fair bit of time and energy plus of course the R&D that went on before it came onto the market :shrug: .

Pete

Well, the cost of the additive worked out at about £3 per litre, I worked for the company that supplied an early version to Shell, it actually cost us £2.20 a litre to produce it. However, the treatment level is fairly low so the profit that Shell is making is not that excessive, you're probably looking at somewhere around 2.0p worth per litre but bear in mind that Shell have to blend it and that'll take a fair bit of time and energy plus of course the R&D that went on before it came onto the market :shrug: .

Pete

I'm not denying that but 99ron is 3-4p more where as vpower is 9-11p more expensive a litre. The tax is the real killer though ;)

Welcome to the forum. Pity your work expects you to do long runs in your own car. It would be fun in the 350 though.

Yeah you are right - a day out driving to Birmingham and back in the 350z would be a lot of fun compared to my current motor. And to think its a days wages and 45p a mile I can't complain really!! Might as well enjoy the car while I have it :teeth:

Pete

I'm not denying that but 99ron is 3-4p more where as vpower is 9-11p more expensive a litre. The tax is the real killer though ;)

Actually, that pricing was for "Shell Optimax" similar but not quite the same as VPower. Shell may very well make this themselves nowadays, they didn't have the facilities a few years ago. If they still buy it from the company I worked for then it'll have to be imported from Le Havre in France as The U.K plant closed down shortly after I left. From what I gleaned in my years of working for first Shell and then later a company called Lubrizol, the mark up is in the region of 30% on additives and chemicals but much smaller on refined products such as heavy fuel oil, bitumen, Avgas and Gas Oil.

Pete

One of my neighbours has just brought a Zed so I see him driving every day also makes me want to buy one!!

Fug is that me by any chance :D

And BulletMagnet you dont happen to be a fellow docker do you?

Liam! It is you indeed I see driving past and making me jealous :lol:

I been looking for a Zed since last October but the mileage I have to do for work is putting me off buying one as I know they are petrol hungry!!

How far did you have to go to buy yours? What sorta mpg are you getting goin to felixstowe and back??

How far did you have to go to buy yours?

I bought mine from Clapham in London, which was a nice 250+miles drive home.

Gave me enough time to learn the car, and enjoy the first few hours of ownership, I'm sure any Zed owner will agree ;)

I bought my zed last year. When i bought it i knew how bad the mpg would be, but in the end i was getting 21 mpg everywhere. Car was fully serviced and always run on tesco momentum.

Now drive a brand new 320i m sport and although its a totally different car im loving it and getting 45 mpg everywhere!

TBH if fuel efficiency was that important to you, and you knew the Z would be thirsty in the first place, why did you buy a 3.5l V6? 21mpg is normal for urban commutes with moderate traffic to negotiate.

I'm sure the beemer is good car, but it's not quite the head-turning beast the 350z is. That being said, I certainly wouldn't want to commute in one. That would be painfully expensive. Mine's a weekend toy :-)

TBH if fuel efficiency was that important to you, and you knew the Z would be thirsty in the first place, why did you buy a 3.5l V6? 21mpg is normal for urban commutes with moderate traffic to negotiate.

I'm sure the beemer is good car, but it's not quite the head-turning beast the 350z is. That being said, I certainly wouldn't want to commute in one. That would be painfully expensive. Mine's a weekend toy :-)

What's your normal weekday car???

What's your normal weekday car???

The DLR :thumbdown:

TBH mate, ive always had turbos vxr's etc. I had knee surgery so i sold my vxr and bought my wife a wee corsa to get me about as i couldnt drive.

When my knee was recovered and i could drive again i thought i would have a zed. As i mentioned i knew what i was getting into, but mpg wasnt a problem as i had the corsa for everyday driving. Then my son past his test and i insured the corsa for him. As my son now thinks its his corsa :shrug: i had to use the zed as my daily drive.

I loved every minute of the zed and it was totally problem free. I traded both the zed and the corsa in last month and replaced them with brand new 320i m sport plus and a brand new mini cooper.

Great car the zed, but as i said i was glad to see it go :wave:

Yes I am actually :)

C-Shift B-Op

I thought that was you I see driving out in the morning, I am in engineering on E shift.

Liam! It is you indeed I see driving past and making me jealous :lol:

I been looking for a Zed since last October but the mileage I have to do for work is putting me off buying one as I know they are petrol hungry!!

How far did you have to go to buy yours? What sorta mpg are you getting goin to felixstowe and back??

I dont mean to make you jealous but it does sound alot better than that damn "Deranged Rover" :lol:

I had been looking for about a year before I bought mine and I went to Peterborough to get it, so about 200 miles round trip.

I am getting about 23mpg at the moment but this is partly due to me loving the noisy peddle, the quite roads at 6:30 and the amount of roundabouts, this does drop though if I get too excited.

Even though it will mean I haven't got the only one on the road, I say do it you definatly wont regret it as the pleasure it brings out ways the worry of fuel costs.