3D Printer

richiep350

We use these at work a lot, in fact we're thinking about getting one for the studio.

Each model is

pretty expensive - something 400x400x400mm is about a grand depending on complexity. It's very cool when you get a model delivered that you only just sent for printing that day B)

These are nice versions for the home http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2009/08/makerbot/

these have been around for a while, been using different versions of those for the last 5 years. i currnetly have a 3D ABS printer that extrudes layers of ABS and builds up the model in the same method. we use it for prototyping. the powder ones are kind of the latest versions.

the one at my current school we actually bought as a kit and built the machine ourself from scratch.

i think it should be now that we point out how expensive it is to manufacture in ABS, the machine i had at my old place took ABS cartridges, they were very expensive, we had a student mock up a kids toy train at 1 foot long and 7" high it cost about £60 in materials.

these new powder based resin printers are cheaper to maintain but costs are still high.

i think it should be now that we point out how expensive it is to manufacture in ABS, the machine i had at my old place took ABS cartridges, they were very expensive, we had a student mock up a kids toy train at 1 foot long and 7" high it cost about £60 in materials.

these new powder based resin printers are cheaper to maintain but costs are still high.

£60 is cheap :thumbs: Materials don't cost much if you have the luxury of playing with a machine at work/school but it is expensive to out-source the models due to high equipment/maintenance costs, as I said.....

We use these at work a lot. Each model is pretty expensive - something 400x400x400mm is about a grand depending on complexity.

This is for the powder based models......