What can happen if you run your Zed on 95 Ron.....

glrnet

Its ok to use 95RON so long as you drive like a granny.

Do you mean to say, that as long as you drive carefully

if you stay below 5k, I think you would be ok

Think the handbook says 4.5kRPM, but you get the idea. Sure Mark will be able to tell us what RPM he usually hears knock at with 95RON.

BUT if you stay below 4.5kRPM you may as well get a Diesel :p:lol:

Good thread, I'm picking up my Zed tomorrow :) Whatcar.com have done a fuel test and on the "premium" fuels, They where about 0.1% better on fuel consumption except one - Sainsburys 97 Premium delivered 0.5% increase :#1:

AND it's my local garage, AND it's my cheapest local with premium fuel within 30 miles. (3.2 pence per litre more that the cheapest 95)

Can't wait till tomorrow :cloud9: - full stainless rattle of 300bhp coming to town near me :evil:

http://www.tesco.com/Momentum99/productBenefits.asp

Would this be applicable to our cars as well, even though they are mapped for higher Octane levels?

Those cars all have small engines compared to ours, but I guess the TT would also be mapped for 97/98. It's getting a whole 6 extra mpg which equates to 1/6th more or 16.7%. With me running currently about 20mpg, am I likely to get an extra 3 or 4? The car is currently being ran on 97, but i've not long had it and god knows what it's been ran on before.

For the sake of an extra 5 pence per liter (3.5% more where I live) it would be extremely worth using 99 if it would squeeze even another 2 mpg out.

Would this be applicable to our cars as well, even though they are mapped for higher Octane levels?

No because the Zed REQUIRES 97RON (or better). It is not applicable to run a Zed on 95RON. If you do you will damage your car.

No because the Zed REQUIRES 97RON (or better). It is not applicable to run a Zed on 95RON. If you do you will damage your car.

What I meant was, if the TT is getting +6 with 99 compared to 95, then say for the sake of argument, they may get 3 more than using say, 97. So seeing as our cars are mapped for 97ish, maybe we would see a slight increase in MPG with Tesco 99 compared to BP which is 97...?

Tesco is pretty close to me and they're Super is about the same price give or take a penny or 2 than most other local garages are offering 95. So I'll be trying a few tanks of this 99, resetting the computer each fill to see if I can get a noticeable difference of a couple MPG.

You might see 1MPG difference, but not enough to make any real difference to your wallet, or even be able to measure accurately, fluctuations in the weather (cold vs warm) will make more difference :)

Tesco Momentum is good as you get the benefits of Super Unleaded without the expense of Shell or BP :thumbs:

You might see 1MPG difference, but not enough to make any real difference to your wallet, or even be able to measure accurately, fluctuations in the weather (cold vs warm) will make more difference :)

Tesco Momentum is good as you get the benefits of Super Unleaded without the expense of Shell or BP :thumbs:

I see your point with the weather factor, but with a tank lasting me approx. 2 weeks and living in Northern Ireland, the weather stays pretty much the same until about May due to the huge amount of water around and in the centre of the country. So, if I even seen a difference of 1MPG that would be great, considering that's around 5% more based on an average 20MPG for approx. 2% less money giving me around 7% more MP£. This of course doesn't take into account any 10-15p off per litre deals that Tesco may have on at any given date, which then gives up to 17% more MP£.

My Zed is normally run on Tesco 99 but I had to put some shell super in on the way back from the lakes once due to a lack of Tescos. Was a good chance for a comparative test so I zeroed the computer and ran it the whole 350 miles back on shell. This was constant motorway really, so not too many variables and the kind of driving where the Zed can actually get some respectable numbers. There was no significant difference. The decimal point was slightly different (don't actually remember higher or lower) but the whole numbers were the same. I'd run it on Tesco if I were you because where I am its cheaper than either BP or shell super unleaded despite being higher octane.

DB

I personally only buy from a real petrol supplier (97 Esso or V-Power Shell), rather than a budget greengrocer.

I still remember the contamination fiasco of 2007.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_United_Kingdom_petrol_contamination

It strikes me a fuel supplier that sells fuel as its main business is likely to have the better quality control in place along its supply chain. As far as I know there are less stories of Esso or Shell trashing engines (although there will always be the odd small mishap).

My Zed is normally run on Tesco 99 but I had to put some shell super in on the way back from the lakes once due to a lack of Tescos. Was a good chance for a comparative test so I zeroed the computer and ran it the whole 350 miles back on shell. This was constant motorway really, so not too many variables and the kind of driving where the Zed can actually get some respectable numbers. There was no significant difference. The decimal point was slightly different (don't actually remember higher or lower) but the whole numbers were the same. I'd run it on Tesco if I were you because where I am its cheaper than either BP or shell super unleaded despite being higher octane.

DB

But isn't Shell's super (V-power) also 99RON?

I personally only buy from a real petrol supplier (97 Esso or V-Power Shell), rather than a budget greengrocer.

I still remember the contamination fiasco of 2007.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_United_Kingdom_petrol_contamination

It strikes me a fuel supplier that sells fuel as its main business is likely to have the better quality control in place along its supply chain. As far as I know there are less stories of Esso or Shell trashing engines (although there will always be the odd small mishap).

But I believe Tesco's is supplied by Greenenergy who's only business is fuel and nothing else, as confirmed by that Wiki article.

I also personally won't take any notice of that unfortunate occurrence 5 years ago as these things happen and I'm sure they learnt from their mistake as it cost them millions in car repairs...

DB

But isn't Shell's super (V-power) also 99RON?

Pretty sure it's only 97, but with a bucketload of additives. Maybe someone who uses it can confirm?

DB

Yep that seems to be true Ekona, googled it as well and V-power is indeed 99RON in the UK, no idea why I thought otherwise :wacko:

Also found a load of threads on other sites (mainly PH) comparing fuels. Most seem to be full of V-Power fanboys claiming it runs better, but these people also put octane booster into their 99RON fuel in their road cars and say they can feel the difference :shrug:

The few scientific tests around seem to show either no difference in performance or the Tesco 99 being (very marginally) better. How good it is for the engine would be another matter of course.

DB

Went to fill up at Tesco's after alms running the tank dry at the weekend, only to find that it doesn't sell 99, then after checking the website, I discovered that Tesco 99 is only available on the mainland. So, that affectively means I can not put the correct fuel into the Zed as the only garages within 20 miles are BP, Texaco, Jet etc, not even a Shell. I might sent Tesco a little email notifying them of this, as there are probably quite a few people around here who would love to put 99 in their cars.

Well that's my only option, but all those are only RON 97 and I really wanted the 98/99 that the car requires, not only to be OCD about it, but also because I don't know what fuel has been used in the car in it's previous lives. Also, I was looking forward to doing the 97 v 99 MPG comparison.